Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Marvin Panch 1961 Daytona 500 winner Passes Away.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert J. Palmer, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. frank spittle

frank spittle

Absolutely one of NASCAR's greatest. He was Holman & Moody's first team driver when they purchased the DePaulo factory Ford team in 1957. R.I.P. "Pancho"

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Marvin was also one of the two drivers to drive the Hollman-Moody Ford Falcon Challenger raced at the Sebring 12 hour race in 1962. The car was built in three weeks and driven by Marvin Panch and Jocko Maggiacomo. Finished 2nd in class and 36th overall. HRP

[​IMG]

stillrunners and lothiandon1940 like this.

4. slowmotion

slowmotion

One of the greats without a doubt. I'm sure some of you remember the early NASCAR coverage on the WW of Sports. It was a treat I always looked forward to.
    RIP Mr. Panch
    (aside, I spent about an hour watching the reunion segments linked, good stuff)

5. I wish I was old enough to remember.

I was born in Dec. 1981.

My father always made sure I knew the history, and met many of the pioneers.

Panch won his first Grand National race on July 20, 1956 at Montgomery, Alabama. Panch won the pole and dominated the 100-mile event in this car

[​IMG]

Info from www.legendsofnascar.com

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I met Marvin at a Pontiac club national convention some years ago, he was a very nice guy.

7. R.I.P. Marvin and Ron Bouchard

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  8. frank spittle

frank spittle

After retiring as a driver in the late '60s he opened an auto repair business in Charlotte specializing in brake service. I drove past it frequently over the decade or two it was open.

9. The best Marvin story I like is how Tiny Lund saved his life pulling him from a burning wreck (not a NASCAR race car). Tiny went on to drive the 'cup car Marvin was supposed to drive in the 1963 Daytona 500 and won. Tiny and Marvin are two of the most under-rated drivers of the era.

10. It was a 427 Ford powered Maserati Tipo 151 running for a closed course record at Daytona.

Tiny Lund, Bill Wimble, and Erine Gahan all helped to pull Marvin out of the burning car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload_2016-1-1_17-33-56.jpeg

11. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

A sad day for sure. Amazing the part he played in two of the most unlikely Daytona 500 win's. His win and Tinys win. I'm proud to say that my uncle Junior Robbins was Marvin crew chief in the 500.

stillrunners and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. RIP Marvin.

13. Very, interesting. Do you have any photos?

14. tallhtrddr

tallhtrddr

15. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

When I talked to him he mentioned that he had been a factory rep for Raysbestos.

16. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

No I don't have any pic's. My uncle is pictured sitting with Smokey in his office in Smokey' s three volume book set.

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Made it to 89! Good for you Marv, RIP..