Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Wheel Stands for lifting and supporting a car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

In the course of searching for a better way to support my project than the 4 ramps it has been sitting on for the majority of the time, I searched the Hamb and found a few threads on various wheel stand ideas.
    I was looking for something safe and secure and also higher than the plastic ramps.
    I'd like this old body to be able to get under the car a little easier.:D
    So after searching the Hamb and then also Google I came across an idea that I think is really neat.
    As far as I can find these things are pretty expensive.
    So.. after studying the pictures I believe that I can build myself a set in short order.
    Thinking on building a set. :cool:
    Larry
    http://myliftstand.com/

IMG_1659-1024x768.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    nunattax, ace5043 and LOU WELLS like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just build them strong enough an stable enough we never have to read a thread about your car falling on you. I've seen that setup's add before and like th concept because you raise the car in increments and don't have one end or side several inches higher than than the other at one time when raising or lowering it.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good upgrade over egg crates

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like how they operate and how they stack as well. A pretty slick idea. 8" tall collapsed and 14" tall extended.
    I believe they will be worth the effort to build.
    The material and size specs are all there, and they are safe too.
    IMG_8595.jpg

5. evintho

evintho

Those look pretty slick! I've got the same problem....age and creaky joints! I decided to do the same thing but I'm frugal (read incredibly cheap). I built some out of scrap lumber. Four 4x4's topped with PT 2x12's and sheathed with 1/2" OSB. They're very strong and the cool thing is I can sit in an old office chair, wheel around the car and everything is at a perfect working height.

[​IMG]

BradinNC and triman62 like this.
  6. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

$1800 will buy a two post lift, if you have the floor to support it. How would you rotate tires or work on brakes with that outfit? I do not drag that jack around. I use electricity- much better. The big question is the height between the floor and ceiling. 12 feet is about the minimum if you want to stand under a car.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

At the present time I have an 8' ceiling garage. And it isn't big enough to hold a lift. Seriously the 4 posters that I like take up a lot of floor space as well.
    I may in the future have a taller shop but right now that is up in the air :D
    In looking into the way these things are built there is a little more complexity than meets the eye.
    In order to slide freely up and down the 4 tubes have nylon bushings in them so they don't bind when moving up and down.
    It's all do-able however.
    I thought about the simple wooden block thing or a stand welded up from steel, simpler ideas to be sure.
    What impressed me with this idea was the move from 8" high up to 14" looked a lot easier and safer than trying to get a car up onto a 12"-14" high block in one move with 4 corners to deal with.
    So, the question being. Will it be worth the effort :confused: :D

8. I've seen this set up discussed on Garage Journal, I have a high ceiling in my shop so a full hoist can be utilized. This setup looks like the next best thing.
    http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

9. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Yes I know, I used to work with concrete blocks under the car! Stack them with the core holes vertical not horizontal. Just joking here as I know that you know better. I built my garage knowing full well that I would probably never have the time to use it enough to justify to cost. It is a 3 car (that means that you can drive 3 cars in a circle at the same time). I also knew that my son would use for some time and equipped it appropriately. The temporary fix will work out.

10. Old and creaky joints?
    The Jack is going to give you a workout man. 2 laps and 8 lifts up. 2 laps and 8 lifts back down.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. BobPer

BobPer

For cheap/free I use wheels. I stack 14's nestled into 15's, or 13's nestled into 14's. I stack them in increments like put the fronts on 15's, then the backs, then lift again and stack the 14's. I also have a set of wheel skates that the rims can nestle between the four caster studs perfectly.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Aw crap :D I just need to win a lottery and then I can build a huge shop with everything that I could possibly need and then some. :D
    And I can retire early to Vancouver Island and get out of the damned cold and snow.
    Truth be told I'd probably miss teaching and my little garage :confused: :D
    Oh well the retirement thing will come soon enough and if a workout with a jack is my only problem I'll be laughing :)
    I will get my home on Vancouver Island, the shop is an unknown so far :)

13. Try this cheap image.jpeg

Bubba1955 likes this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes I thought of those. Please forgive the OT car :D
    Just look at the wheel blocks.
    Then there is a simpler steel version.
    UpontheBoxCribs002.jpg unpainted stands.jpg

15. This seems to be a lost idea.

I cut the ends off early Ford side bells (only junk ones), weld than 3" channel to them.

I have about six sets, Several heights.

Holding up my 53 Chevrolet here.

GEDC1534.JPG GEDC1539.JPG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    clem and pat59 like this.
  16. aaggie

aaggie

There are many ways to skin a cat but just be safe. When I was a kid all we had was the old Ford bells and they worked fine but were fixed height. About 1960 I bought a set of blue Walker jack stands and I still use them today. When I retired and built a new shop I had the ceiling trusses at 12' and the concrete slab 8" thick so I could put in a two post lift. It's still on my TODO list when I can afford it.

17. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I have one of these in my low ceiling shop, two bridges for jack stands and skates to just roll it outside too. Me on the creeper rolls under the ramp. Not for everyone but I have no height for a lift. ( http://www.kwik-lift.com/ )

[​IMG]

18. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I also have the kwik lift. Btw there is one for sale in the classifeds. It works real well and is just right for low ceilings. I bought it before I built my new garage with 12' ceiling. I built the new garage 3 years ago, and like aaggie, I have to wait on real lifts til I can afford them. A couple of weeks ago I put heating and a/c in the garage, there went the lift money.

Johnboy34 likes this.
  19. m.kozlowski

m.kozlowski

I also use wheels, although i use them with tires. Then you can use only one size. Wheel turned face to ground holds a car in a very stable way.

20. I have a pair of these. What else are A axle bells good for? :D

my first stands were A bells so when someone offered me a pair cheap I jumped on 'em.

Oh mine are a little less high tech, I just fish mouthed mine.

21. I used some Gibbons made fiberglass ones while assembling my T. They rock! They have not been in production for years so I plan to make my own.

22. Make me some while you're at it. :D

23. I also have a Kwik Lift and love it. Got mine from the brother in law when he upgraded to a 4 post. Everybody's happy happy.

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Ooo, not liking the idea of 2 x 4's standing upright like that. I could see those collapsing pretty easily. And you're in earthquake country too. Eeegads!

clem likes this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O Reading comprehension problems again rear their ugly head :D:D
    He clearly said Four 4 X 4's :D

26. clem

clem

^^^^^my thoughts also on this one. I don't think that I would crawl under it. Still has a wobble factor / look about it.
    Probably have to see it to know for sure. Pic may not do it justice...
    Just be careful out there....

27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You're right, I misread that, sorry :embarrased: . I still don't like it, not standing upright. The other posts where the wood blocks are stacked crib style I like a lot better.

clem likes this.
  28. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Could we see a picture of the Gibbons fiberglass units?

29. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

We did the old wheel thing but welded the rims together

30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

For a HEAVY car (62 Caddy, etc.) I'd recommend adding a center 2x4 or 2x6 to each course (making the entire course wood) which would transfer the weight of the wheel through solid wood all the way down to the pavement, via the center of the crib rather than only on the 4 corners. That design would make me nervous with a heavy vehicle as it reminds me of the Karate stunt of a stack of pine boards collapsing sequentially with a karate chop.