Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Calling all detectives...need car I.D.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce3wCpe, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

This is my grandfather's car parked in the driveway of the family shore house circa 1954 or 1955..
    IMG_4345.PNG
    Sorry it's the only picture I have so not much to go on. I'm assuming it's a 4 door sedan.
    Make? Model ? Year ? Paint code or color name ?

Thanks in advance.

2. I want to say Plymouth.

turboroadster likes this.
  3. 1950 Dodge maybe? Light green is my best guess.

4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is just a guess but I lean towards 49-52? Chrysler.

5. '50 Chrysler New Yorker. No way to tell what body type....

Hnstray and firstinsteele like this.
  6. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Thanks all for the help .

7. studeynut

studeynut

definitely a 50 Chrysler.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

1950 New Yorker is correct. Last model with the straight eight engine. In the same class as Packard, Buick Roadmaster and Cadillac. An expensive luxury car at the time.

Color appears to be Juniper Green, code 23. There were 4 shades of green offered that year but Juniper Green looks the closest.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  9. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

My grandfather was a retired Newark motorcyle cop. Not a wealthy man by any means so I'm a little surprised to find out it was a high-zoot car. He did however have a real appreciation for all things mechanical. Ha..maybe he grabbed it from the impound yard .
    Thanks again, great info!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those Mopars usually got pretty affordable to regular folks when they were 4 or 5 years old. Actually most early 50's cars depreciated pretty fast in their first few years on the road from new.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The New Yorker was a $5000 car when it was new. You could buy a house for that kind of money. By the time they were 4 or 5 years old you could buy one for $1000 or less. This was when a new Ford or Chev 6cyl sedan had a base price around $1800 and a Bel Air or Fairlane hardtop with V8 and 2 tone paint was under $2500.

Cars used to depreciate a lot faster than they do now. Styles changed rapidly and cars did not last as long. In those days it was a rare achievement for a car to go 100,000 miles even with regular parts replacement and an engine rebuild.

General Motors cars held their value better than Chrysler, Lincoln or Packard and Cadillac held their value the best of all. Yet Chrysler cars were better built and longer lasting than most other makes. This made Chrysler a great buy on the used car market. If you were savvy enough to pick up a low mile Chrysler in good condition, and didn't mind the dowdy looks, you could ride like a king for very little more than your neighbors spent on their Chevs and Studebakers.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  12. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Well that helps explain how he was able to afford it.

On a side note the house it is sitting next to (which my grandfather built in the 1930's) sat on a peninsula of land surrounded on three sides by water. My father inherited the house in the late 50's and was forced to sell it and split the money with his 2 sisters. Sale price of the house was $4,500 so each got $1,500 .

Prior to the damage inflicted by Hurricane Sandy in 2012 the house was valued at nearly 1 million. Who knew...

Sporty45 likes this.
  13. Sporty45

Sporty45

Ahh, if only we all had 20-20 future vision how different our lives would turn out! I know, in my case, I would have tried to keep a few of those cars I sold in my youth.