Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No-Brainer Shin Saver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nmpontiac, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Working on the 30 Plymouth resto, I walk around the front of this chassis probably 50 times a day - so I sawed a couple 5" pieces of "pool noodle" off and shoved them on the spindles. Only had to hit the spindle once to figure this out......................... DSCN1512.JPG

loudbang, hidez57, Hotrodmyk and 3 others like this.
  2. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

3. Doubt very much it will float.

tommyd, Truck64, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  4. Leakie

Leakie

Probably not, but it will be easier to spot at the bottom of the pool.

slv63, loudbang and Fedman like this.

5. that would also work good for, fender supports, running board brackets, bumper braces and all the other shin banging, pants ripping pieces that hang off old cars.
    good idea

33sporttruck likes this.
  6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

You are a quick learner. I must've banged my shins on my '37 Chevy bumper irons 39 times before I took them off. But, I don't have a pool:(

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I only had to run into the rear frame horn of my '28 Chevy rail once.
    It earned a thick wrap of blue medical towels and some duct tape. (Quack quack!)

8. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Great Idea !!! I bought foam pipe insulator at Lowe's a few months ago and stuck a piece on each of the running board brackets on my 36 Chevy. At my age I don't heal as quick as I once did....................... Jeff

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Put that same foam on the edge of the ceiling light hoods so if i have the car up on the lift some opening the car door catches the foam..

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

after cutting and scraping my shins I started putting the foam pipe insulation on bumper irons a few years back.--Saves some cuts and bruises.

11. stimpy

stimpy

rollcage padding or pipe insulation works real good have it on my jack handles too . but it doesn't work on trailer hitches ( so I remove it as in Illinois there is a little known law that can get you a $75 fine for not removing it if its not being used )

loudbang likes this.
  12. Slopok

Slopok

Great idea..gonna get some for my floor jack handles when they are back in season, in the mean time I'll just have to watch where I'm walkin. Hope that the bright colors help me see them.

13. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Yup, running board brackets. I have to credit my wife on that one. She grabbed one out of the back yard, brought it in the garage and chopped it in four pieces. No more f-bombs for the little neighbor kids ☹️.

Running board brackets- the Original Immovable Object.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I just wrap bubble wrap around my legs

brad2v, Jet96, stimpy and 3 others like this.
  15. That's using your noodle!

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I tried that weed wacking in shorts...o_O

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

sometimes I worry about you

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. choptop40

choptop40

Great inexpensive idea....

19. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Good idea, only takes wrapping 2 shins and the whole shop is safe. VS 2 spindles, 2 running board mounts 4 bumper brackets...
    I like the economical approaches

ct1932ford likes this.
  20. stimpy

stimpy

anybody up for a mass purchase oh hockey shin guards???? as for the bubble wrap thing I should do that to my wife her middle name is clumsy..

21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

This tip is not about your shins but will help you maintain your pleasant demeanor!
    A long ago pal that restored various types of cars told me to cut off a one or two inch piece of
    rubber hose and slide it over the end of my ratchet wrenches; leaving a tiny bit of hose extending
    beyond the end of the ratchet handle... Bingo! No more chipping new (or old!) paint while tightening up
    stuff. It does work and has saved my sweet demeanor many a time!
    Happy New Year!
    Al

belair likes this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I mounted a pair of my dad's old cb antennas on the back of my sailboat trailer and slip pool noodles over them to make the back corners of the trailer easier to spot when going down the road or backing into tight spots.
    [​IMG]

I sure like the idea of using them as shin savers on projecting objects on the project rod though. Beats the hell out of explaining the new injury to my wife after she does the "what the hell did you do now?" thing.

23. I got enough things that LOVE shins around the shop. Maybe soccer or hockey shin guards are the answer.

24. Tech week winner right there jack!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i got a 2 car garage with a lathe, mill, 3 welders, 2 band saws, 2 vw engines on stands, a fiberglass matt rack, 4ft by 10ft rotating frame jig, a fed, 4ft brake, 4ft roll, rolling tool box, valve grinder, 2 tubing benders, cheery picker, 10-10 coats tire machine, floor mounted drill press, 3ft by 7ft bench and another vw engine on the floor.. my shins look like 30 miles of bad road. it's nice to see other people have the same problem. my wives favorite saying is "your going to kill yourself". i have to show her this thread and that i am not the only one with this problem. my problem with putting stuff on things is, i wouldn't be able to even get in the garage. if i could get in, it would feel like a padded cell in an institution.