Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hood Louvers of Interest (Sexy Hoods part II)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 7, 2015.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Had 6-1/2" stretched cab corners made for my '29 CCPU and louvered them before assembling the cab image.jpg

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Bolt on hood louvers. Pullmax louvers ahead of the belt guard. 005_2.JPG

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    ct1932ford likes this.
  3. my 1929 Ford cabriolet hood
    [​IMG]
    raised panel ala '30-31's, and reveal line, unique to '28-29 four door sedans and the cabriolet, is shortened with a shaped tip similar to reveal at A pillar.
    [​IMG]

4. I made a new hood top, I stretched the hood 5". Then I modified the side louvers and the welded them into the hood top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. toxictom

toxictom

i punshed a few in 1932 hood sides..with aluminum speedblisters...

Attached Files:

marioD, ct1932ford and 50Fraud like this.
  6. dechrome

dechrome

Inverted louvers have less wind resistance.
    dechrome florida 2010 299.jpg florida 2010 300.jpg IMG_0799.JPG

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I wouldn't call this "whale" of a hood sexy, but like @dechrome inverted louvers are something you don't see very often. The guy that did mine said he had never had a request for inverted louvers. It was also the largest hood he had ever done, and because he was a one man operation, he had to fab up a cradle to hold it.
    This guy was the son in law of the laser expert where I worked and he had set up a laser on his louver machine, so I can honestly say they are laser straight.
    I had these done on my 66 Suburban in the 90's. Notice how the outer rows were punched in the standard fashion and the center area has the inverted louvers. While I was waiting for the guy to get to it, I was still waffling back and forth on the inverted deal, but decided to leave it to him to do what he thought fit the hood the best. I like how it turned out.
    Some people have said they like it and some don't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pecker head, zipoleon and LOU WELLS like this.
  8. Now that's a neat idea right there.

These days I am leaning toward the old style half moon looking louvers, less refined for a kind of unrefined type of a guy.

But his is a neat idea anyway and I may do this with my cowl, I am thinking that a louver or two in the cowl is a good idea with my old heap.

laidout53 likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Beaner is right about those high crown louvers, they really do look better on the older "period" builds. There are (at least) three different louver profiles out there, besides length options. I really wish I had been given some options back when I had Rootlieb do the hood and sides on my roadster. They look a little too "industrial", kind of like somethng you would see on your outdoor BBQ.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

mine with a center peak done in the 1950's...... IMG_8453.JPG

11. 117harv

117harv

^^^ Very nice.

12. I agree. I have seen louvers like those but not since I was a kid. I'll bet that those old dies were hard to come by even back then.

13. Figured i'd throw this one in;a 32 Ford pedal car I striped awhile back. The louvers are stamped and approximately 1/2" long. Had fun putting the double stripes on each one. 32Pedal1.jpg 32Pedal2.jpg

14. louisb

louisb

Those peaked louvers are killer.

--louis

Black_Sheep likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vespaholic, that hood is cool. I have to cut an opening in mine to clearance the 3 97's protruding. I was wondering if I could have both the opening and the louvers. From that pic I'd say absolutely. I like the way he built up the opening. If you have a couple more pics could you message them to me? Thanks.

16. Thank you! Yeah the cowl would be a cool spot as well. I had thought of doing it there but like the hood better for my application.

17. TERPU

TERPU

When your ready Jay bring it down to Santa Cruz. I'll fill it full of louvers for you. If you need a proof source ask Lars.

- Tim

18. Now those are cool!:cool:

19. Does anyone know of somebody doing Louvers in Connecticut or eastern New York?

20. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Getting ready to poke a few holes in my 40's hood. Can't wait! I love a louvered hood. Right now the sanded off paint reminds me of Darth Vader's helmet.

louver time.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  21. Half of my mill is under the cowl so it is more of a function thing than a looks thing for me, but if I can make it look good and still function that's even better. ;)

laidout53 likes this.
  22. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Mine with industrial/barbecue louvers that i prefer in hot weather... NEW MEMBER 2014 013.JPG

23. TERPU

TERPU

[​IMG]

Here is the hood on my '33. I was fortunate enough to get the more rounded profile.

24. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Here's the louvered hood on my '39 coupe. [​IMG]

UNCLECHET and LOU WELLS like this.
  25. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Another view of my louvered hood. [​IMG]

UNCLECHET and LOU WELLS like this.
  26. TERPU

TERPU

[​IMG]

Here are some more off an old Race Car. I love the polished Louvers out of a painted hood.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

28. LOL like you need anyone to vouch for you. ;)

I'll step up for Tim here if my word has any value, is he says he can do it he can do it. period.

29. TERPU

TERPU

[​IMG]

Here's some in an F-1 Hood.
    [​IMG]