Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NEW BUILD-OTIE'S AUTOMOTIVE B/A FIAT TOPOLINO TRIBUTE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Otie's Automotive, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

dia_0370.jpg Just started putting together a replica/tribute of the Otie's Automotive Fiat Topolino. It will be my first drag car and my first scratch build.
    As far as I know the car was originally built and raced by Waldo Hirschfield and K.S. Pittman and won B/A at the 61 US Nationals. The car then came to Ohio and was purchased by Otis Smith for his son Bill as his first race car while still in high school. Bill raced the car in 62 and 63. The car was then disassembled and the chassis was used to build Oties 23T that he raced in 64. Bill went on to race gas dragsters. The car is being built as a tribute to make full quarter mile passes.

Looking for more pictures of the car and wondering if anybody out there knows the whereabouts of Waldo Hirschfield..

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  2. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Good luck on your new endeavor . Looking forward to future progress.

els likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool

els likes this.
  4. Great project. Gotta' love a steel Fiat!!

els and falcongeorge like this.

5. 51box

51box
    from MA

Very cool, love these early drag cars. I had the same set in my dragster, 6-71 blown hilborn 2 port SBC, was a blast to drive and would destroy the 9" slicks & clutch unfortunately!

chryslerfan55, els and Church Key like this.
  6. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

Neat project! Nice to see all of the tribute cars coming out of the woodwork, its great to be able to show the youngsters what the golden age of drag racing gave birth to!

On another note, I cant help with the drive itself, but I do have a NOS Isky idler pulley bracket for the rat motors if you come to needing one!

Keep building!

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  7. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

Thanks, I just got a SBC idler bracket in todays mail. Got the patch panels ordered and the body left to get blasted today.

What I really need to find is a pair of hinges and a handle/latch for the drivers door. This was an old drag car body that had the drivers door welded shut. If you know anyone with Fiat parts please ask, I'm having no luck so far.

For the blower drive, I'm at a minimum looking for a short Isky snout and tri-plate. The correct idler pulley and water pump pulley would be helpful also.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    chryslerfan55, 1947knuck, els and 4 others like this.
  8. This is going to be a GREAT ONE!

els likes this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Cool to see another altered.

els likes this.
  10. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

Anybody recognize this decal?
    It's the best picture I have and the only one we cannot figure out.
    mystery decal.jpg

11. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

Have found and purchased an Isky short snout, crank hub, intake, idler bracket and water pump pulley. Thanks to all who have helped.

Still looking for an Isky tri-plate and 2"drive pulleys, idler pulley and stud.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    chryslerfan55, els and loudbang like this.
  12. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

Found a great set of doors and the missing hinges. Thanks for the lead Chopper. Thanks again Wayne for selling me your extra parts .
    It's going to move things along much faster not having to patch up my rusty doors.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453001457.624709.jpg

chryslerfan55, 1947knuck, els and 6 others like this.
  13. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

Picked up the glass front end today from Class Glass and Performance in Cumberland, MA. It's a great looking piece. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453001917.639387.jpg

chryslerfan55, 1947knuck, els and 6 others like this.
  14. WDobos

WDobos

Your wealcome on the parts. It was nice meeting you guys. It was good knowing the parts went to a nice guy who was going to put them to good use. I held on to them for 45 years,now they went to an other good home.

chryslerfan55, els, Hmsmith and 3 others like this.
  15. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

Time to start figuring out the chassis! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453390276.020175.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453390295.011436.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453390316.906001.jpg

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nice.

els likes this.
  17. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

Found the best picture yet.
    Bill in the car with Otie firing it up at the 62 Nationals. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455372248.152980.jpg

18. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

Finally figured out the mystery decal from the new Nats picture.
    Cragar Happy Hoss-Power
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455382910.344359.jpg

19. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Neat project, Best of luck with the build!
    Look forward to seeing it make a few passes!
    KK

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

Way Cool Build !
    I 'll follow along...

els likes this.
  21. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

22. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

Finally starting to make some progress, sheet metal to repair the body finally showed from the Netherlands. Super nice guys I talked too, but I don't think they move at the same speed as us on this side of the pond. We started the body work this week, replacing both rockers and the tail pan. Found a pair of super nice model A frame rails (thanks Rob) and the boxing kit showed up a couple days ago.

Got a call two days ago and got invited to the Gasser Reunion at Thompson, OH. They want us to bring whatever we have finished and they invited Bill Smith to sign autographs in the legends tent. I have 12 weeks left, looking like a lot of sleep deprived nights coming up over the next 3-months.

The most exciting part, at least for me, is I found a complete Isky blower setup exactly like what was on the car. I was so exited when it arrived my wife didn't even mind when I had it on the living room table. image1 (1)bbb.JPG image2nnn.JPG

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  23. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

Got my 59 Olds rear end housing back from being narrowed, tough to find someone that can still do them.
    Thank you Al Goodman for digging out your old fixtures. Al's a super nice guy with a lot of good advice. His second question after asking how wide and what are we building was "who's going to drive it".

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    1947knuck, els, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  24. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

1. Found a 327 block (in Bill Smiths garage) that was bought new, machined at Otie's and never used. Been sitting in a damp garage for the last 50 years. Currently out getting acid washed and shot peened to see if it's worth using. I hope it's OK, I think it would be really awesome to have something that actually went through the shop in the car. Check out the stamp. They stamped everything they worked on to cut out the BS when someone brought something back they said they messed up. Can't make a warranty claim without the stamp.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, 1947knuck, els and 9 others like this.
  25. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

Have found all the stickers and decals for the car.
    The large Eelco feet and Howards decals I found on eBay, purchased the large NHRA decals from Mike Goyda and the balanced by Otie's sticker that was on the Hilborn scoop is an original that I had new copies made of.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, 1947knuck, els and 3 others like this.
  26. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

Found an early B&M shifter that I'm going to try and fabricate a reverse lockout for and use. Car was a originally equipped with a Hydro, going to run a Rossler Turbo 350 a friend made me deal on I coundn't refuse.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, 1947knuck, els and 4 others like this.
  27. I haven't heard the name of Otie Smith in years.
    I bought a 283 block from Otie, in 1962, while at Kent State.
    Is Otie still with us ?

28. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Great thread, super pics of the old car...keep up the good work on the new one !!!

els likes this.
  29. Wow, a real dedication to doing it right, great stuff so far !

els likes this.
  30. Otie's Automotive

Otie's Automotive

12592465_1732422673645673_2896825938792700903_n.jpg
    Unfortunately we lost Otie in May, 2014, he was 94.
    This coming June they are putting up an Ohio historical marker at the site of the Akron airport drag races that, from what I understand were the site of the first NHRA sanctioned events on the east coast.
    Otie, as president of the Akron Cam Jammers organized them with the Safety Safari.
    This is a link to the Facebook page about the marker:
    https://www.facebook.com/Akron-Ohio-Race-Legends-Fund-PO-433-Tallmadge-Oh-44278-1683707035183904/
    This coming June 19th they are having a dedication for the marker and a car show at Akron Fulton Airport.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    chryslerfan55, 1947knuck, els and 5 others like this.