Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear parallel leaf springs on a '32 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GaryN, Oct 26, 2011.

1. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I have them on the 5 winder and they not only ride great but hauled home 1/2 frozen/wrapped beef and two full CHANGE 2014 028.JPG figured AMERICANS...

2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have been contemplating using a pair of F1 front springs in the rear of a 32 with the original F1 brackets. I imagine it's been done before but does anyone have any useful bare chassis pictures of 48 to 50 something set up.
    Figure doing it this way we won't need the torque arm complications either as our 296 flathead will be open drive to a converted banjo rear.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  3. Henry Ford was asked why he continued to use buggy springs when others used parallel. He responded that "We use cross springs for the same reason we use round wheels - they seem to work the best."

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. cfmvw

cfmvw

AHotRod likes this.
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

What is the length of the leaf springs your using?
    Has anyone found what the application was they came from?

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've read that the leaf springs where from Early IH Scout ?

Can anyone confirm ?

7. AHotRod likes this.
  8. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

I have a set on no fender roadster and a coupe . With the tank in you really done see much of them. I like the ride. About $475.00 for the setup.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      258.1 KB
      Views:
    continentaljohn and AHotRod like this.
  9. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

On a 33 34 chassis how far back do spring mounts go. I have a chassis I'm missing about 4 inches wonder if it's gonna need lengthened to not. Any images

10. Keep doing some searching so you can see what others have done. Including youtube.
    You will need to locate the rear end in the position you want (center of wheel well. Mount the springs to the rear end with the front brackets on them. Keeping the rear where you want it, clamp the front brackets to the fram. Be sure they are equadistant from a factory mounting hole so that it will not crab when driving. Now, mount the shackle and bracket to the rear of the spring. With the shackle hanging stright verticle jack the rear up to the frame. If yours is too short you will have to add. This is the instructions as I remember from CE. You can clampe this all up before you pick up a welder. You should even wait to weld the perches to the rear housing. I bolted my springs in using 3/8" bolts. Luck

11. dudley32

dudley32

Just did a'33 pickup with Posies springs, and you will need the full length of your frame. But you may be able to fabricate this as the part that welds in is 12 inches long or there about.

Oh and BTW I've done several of these over the years and been very happy with them...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    cody1958 likes this.
  12. Lou: What springs are you using on the back of your coupe? I need to be thinking about what to put undeer the Phaeton. I used '54 chevy pickup front springs on a sedan in the 70's but would like something easier to find and service

13. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I don't know about those kit springs, but when I was looking for short leaf springs, I measured an early Scout rears and they were about 40" center to center, loaded. I ended up using a pair from a Suzuki Samurai. Same length, rubber bushed and not nearly as rusty.

Gary

AHotRod likes this.
  14. I used Posies leaf springs on my full fender 34 pick-up. Did not have to trim the running
    board like some other brands. I have had them for years with no issues. 2713CE51-6EF9-47A1-802C-96C60F240D3F_1_201_a.jpeg

continentaljohn likes this.
  15. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Anyone run this set-up at the drag strip?? And if so, what power was the engine producing??