Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 2 years in Russia - reasonable budget - What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Revived 265, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

from what little I could find online about importing/exporting Russian regulations is that they are complex and open to different interpretations. but, search for Russian Hot Rods - some interesting finds. you tube example: #1585. Moskvitch Hot Rod Tuning (Russian Cars)

2. On the other hand you could put a Ford V8 60 in your carry-on and build one of these. Flatheads forever. v8 60 motorcycle.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Why build an American car over there?? There are supposedly lots of new GAZ model B engines still pickled in military warehouses, and surely some GAZ AA cabs survive in the boondocks...Maybe even a GAZ A-B four wheel drive jeep if really lucky.
    REALLY scarce, but a fair number of GAZ Model A passenger cars and pickups were built over there before the war...including phaetons and DeLuxe pickups. In a huge country with lots of back country, surely something neat can be dug out...their economy is better than it usetawas, but I'm sure $$ still talk.

Richie R likes this.
  4. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Do what the Europeans do when they used to come here.. Pick a car flat like an early model t cut it up into pieces that fit in a suit case and carry it on with you, make the rest from stuff you find there

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Get one of these.... upload_2015-12-21_18-14-1.png

I wouldn't bring my own car there. Haven't you seen any of those youtube videos with all the crashes?

6. Of everything that scares me most about Russia are the drivers, everyone has this lack of fear syndrome ....I believe those videos are standard everyday fare in Russia....and China was even worse....people just bought the car and drivers license on the same day, no sense........I've found a Nimbus motorcycle in Denmark, 1936.....so I'm heading toward a bike now...and I'll drive it into the country so I'll have the correct documents...been talking to my expat friend in St Petersburg, that's the way to do it....

Surfcityrocker and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

When you return to the U.S., will it be easier to drive your bike/car back out and ship it from there to the U.S. instead of shipping it out of Russia?

Have you looked into the possibility of making contact with any Russian Hot Rod or old car clubs? Though limited, there must be some special interest clubs. Once there, they may be able to lead you to a "builder" that's for sale (maybe by one of them). It would give you something to work on/drive while there with the possibility of selling it before you leave rather than shipping it home.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I also wonder if a motorcycle project(s) might be more sensible while you're over there. Good luck!

Malcolm

9. Yep, if driven into Russia you'll receive docs so you can take it back out....remember, I was there before and I did a huge search, so unless I in port, not much chance on finding anything except old military....now I have thought about a sbc in a GAZ....

10. This is the road I think I would go down. Something to drive (just a fun daily... probably turbo charged) and SAVE. When I got home, I'd be in the market for my personal dream car.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have been hearing horror stories of vehicles coming into the US. One was a drag car that went on exhibition in NZ of all places. On the return, the Customs demanded an x-ray of the container, they had to pay for the trucking to the x-ray, pay for the x-ray and pay to have it trucked by to the customs area and they thy had to pay yard storage. And they were sharing the container with the US customs. So this was a back and forth which they had done the previous year so it was not like it was the first time. Final extra shipping bill $3,500. So be very very careful with shipments coming into the US.

12. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450744450.610393.jpg ok, we'll find one of these and make it traditional

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450744521.418540.jpg but not modern like this

14. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

image.jpg I could probably forget about cars for a couple years...

15. Ok,ok, I'm 64 and got my trophy while on assignment in Brazil, best thing I ever did....

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

17. If I had a V8 60 I sure wouldn't go all the way to Russia to build a scooter out of it. I could do that right here.

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

They still might have few Harley WLA's left in there.They shipped a lot of them from US to russia during the WW2.I know a guy who bought one of those russian WLA's from Estonia yrs ago..

19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

If I were going, I's be spending all my free time locating, & obtaining the release of as many of the US4, US6, & Weasels that I could possibly aquire. For return of & from, the Lend-Lease program from WWII. The Russians *never paid* one red (or any other color) cent, nor one ruble, for any of the LL stuff America sent. Bruce is right, should be a lot of AA trucks sitting, probably alongside the Studebaker trucks & Weasels. Probably deep in the Siberian prairie, but still... I'd also be searching & trying to obtain the remains of downed WWII aircraft. US & the Germans. Bikes would be a distant 3rd... I'm sure an Import/Export license would be of serious help, as would be more than one real Russian to help out. Sounds like you've the last part - maybe the most important to get access - already. Good friends are hard to find.
    FWIW.
    Marcus...

20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

If you are in to old bikes a Nimbus is no bad bike, simple, rough and tough comes to mind.
    1936 is first year of Model C, and is a little unique, and of you just wants to drive it a 1937-53 is equally good, but cheaper.
    If you need any advice on them, send a PM.
    My dad has one (51) and has one stored for a friend. He is very well conectioned in the Nimbus cirkles, and rebuild his own. So he is very knowledgeable.

Have you seen the nimbus bobber that a danish guy took to Japan ride around and brought it back with him?

To the OP, build something local as rattatulio did on here, and if you fall in love with it being it home. Or liquidate it when ready to travel. Keep a tab on the locals why building if you want a fast sale.

21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

If you are in to old bikes a Nimbus is no bad bike, simple, rough and tough comes to mind.
    1936 is first year of Model C, and is a little unique, and of you just wants to drive it a 1937-53 is equally good, but cheaper.
    If you need any advice on them, send a PM.
    My dad has one (51) and has one stored for a friend. He is very well conectioned in the Nimbus cirkles, and rebuild his own. So he is very knowledgeable.

Have you seen the nimbus bobber that a danish guy took to Japan ride around and brought it back with him?

To the OP, build something local as rattatulio did on here, and if you fall in love with it being it home. Or liquidate it when ready to travel. Keep a tab on the locals why building if you want a fast sale.

22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

So you think it would be safer riding a motorcycle, than being in a car, with those bad drivers?

23. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I'd be inclined to get something local. When else in your life will you get to play with a GAZ, Lada, Trabant, or the like. If you need something American, you could always bring a small block in your luggage. It would be cool to bring it back too.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like my wife. She's from Novosibirsk, Siberia, Russia.

25. You're afraid of crazy Russian drivers, but you're thinking about a motorcycle?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    falcongeorge and kiwijeff like this.
  26. Last time I was in Russia was 15 years ago. The traffic in Moscow scared the daylights out of me. I wouldn't drive anything there other than maybe a tank.

falcongeorge and kiwijeff like this.
  27. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I have absolutely no experience with what you want to do but I'd check into any emission requirements that you may need to meet to import a 'non-certified' car to the US.

28. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

There's a 25 year rule. Anything older than that should be approachable.

29. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

I used to work and live in Russia. If you can find space to build something I'd suggest a Brookville 29-32 roaster. Slap it together, primer it and enjoy it (if you dare to brave Ruskie drivers). Once your ready to come home if sell it for a mint. There's a ton of $$$ in Moskova. That being said make sure they pay you in Euro. The Ruble is glorified toilet paper right now.

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say it's what the budget and free time allow. If you took a roadster in a crate to build you would most likely want to take the large percentage of the parts in that container. Again if you bring it back it's documented in and documented out. Now it is an assembled load of pieces but there is that piece and here is this piece on the list.
    Time wise I'd think you already have it figured out how much free time you have and what you usually do with free time. Holing up in a warm shop building a hot rod doesn't sound all that bad though.