Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using Sun Tach Without transmitter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smoothy, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Did the same! works great. 003.JPG

2. Road Runner

Road Runner

Make your own.
    Easy simple wiring and cheap parts.

This is a sun circuit....
    I think the 555 relay is for 8 cylinders.

Sun%20Tach%20Digital%20Ckt.jpg

My two Sun tachs and transmitters are for 6 cylinders from 1948 and even simpler and cost me $10 each and I calibrated the caps to be accurate with modern 1.5V batteries.
    They run every day for the last 12 years and I change batteries about every 5 years or so.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  3. Road Runner

Road Runner

More Vintage Sun Tach info ...

sun1.jpg sun2.jpg sun3.jpg sun4.jpg

turboroadster and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, there was.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think I remember seeing someone on here did. The "window" in the new ones is shaped slightly different, and the case is too. Really, unless you are really looking close, and know what you are looking at, most people will never know the difference.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nope, some were mounted on inner fender panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

turboroadster likes this.
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

For those who care about this sort of stuff (if you don't, that's fine, just move along) the screw post style senders are earlier
    [​IMG]

than the screw-tab style senders, the transition was around '62/'63.
    [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. Larry T

Larry T

I always thought the older tachs required the deeper housing. I'm almost positive the new ones have the short cup. Sun cup.jpg

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think theres a mis-understanding here, what Mike is saying is that the early RC series Suns that used an external sender had a shorter cup than the FZ series that came out in the very early sixties that didn't require the external sender, hes not referring to the new re-pops as having the deeper cup.
    And the RC and FZ series were in production side by side for several years. You could choose either model.

10. phat rat

phat rat

I'm not an expert on Sun tachs. I bought two in the early 60's. One was a 1 piece 10K the other was a SST90 which was 2 piece. they both were long cup. But maybe that was because when/where I bought them you bought the tach separate from the cup

11. Larry T

Larry T

I bought one of the new reproduction tachs to use in a project I was working on. It came with the shorter cup. I adapted it to the deeper housing.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

They show up as separate cups in my '63 Moon catalog as well. It shows different part numbers for the cups, so you maybe got the wrong one. I'll take a side pic of my RC later today.

13. Larry T

Larry T

The part number of the chromed Sun deep cup is NC1.

005.JPG 0072.jpg

14. marfen

marfen
    from sask

repro for me works great, looks at home here

Attached Files:

15. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I have one if those. It helped get my old SW tach to work but I'm not sure about the accuracy. You also need to get the vintage adapter which is only like anothe $10-15 if I recall.

16. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I made a 555 circuit and it sort of worked but was way off. I couldn't adjust it to the proper range. Unfortunately my knowledge of electronics is practically nil. Worth a shot, only cost about $15 bud in parts from radio shack b

17. phat rat

phat rat

Falcongeorge, in your opinion it's the wrong cup but Sun put screws with the cup to accommodate the 1 piece tach in the long cup. Here's a picture showing my original receipt along with the screws that came with the cup. Also look at the diagram LarryT posted. Don't you wish you could buy a new tach at that price now? Also I don't need a picture of the shorter cup I know what they look like.

Attached Files:

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The old FZ series one piece tach DOES go with the long cup, its the two piece with the separate sender that goes with the short cup. I don't think the FZ series one piece would even fit in the short cup. And Larry, I think I'd rather have that box than another tach! Man is that neat!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mine is missing the original narrow mounting bracket for mounting on the steering column, I would love to find one.
    0072.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its also plausible that at some point after they brought out the one piece tach that required the deeper cup, they stopped making the early shorter cup, and sold both the one piece and two piece tachs with the deep cup.

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Again, check with...http://www.williamsons.com/Tachometers.php
    He was a great help to me, and I have another football tach that I need a cup and column mount and will get it from him.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Big Duece, I will check that out. I have to follow up with him after Xmas anyway, I was talking to him about re-facing a 5" Jeager mech. tach for my coupester.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right on all counts, (as usual) George. The cup with the outer indents for screws were for the later apps. The 'shallow' cup had the large center hole for locating 'aim'...
    Any and all (at the TIME) were simply the later electronic 'progressive' step in containing the electronics previously contained in the transmitter.
    Remember the 'Dixco' tach? Multi-colored, had the two telltale screws in the outsides of the tach cup.
    Everybody knew you got it for $9.95 at Grand Auto...the speed shop for nurds.
    (sp.: That was how we spelled it...'cause we coined it!) Turds=nurds. Puss='wuss', piss='whiz', etc.
    We had our own language! (rodtronics!) Ask my bud 'Sneaky'...)

warbird1 and falcongeorge like this.
  24. Larry T

Larry T

Well, ya made me look. I have a couple of SST-801 10,000 RPM one piece Super Tachs (late 60s), one with the extensions that Phat Rat showed on it. Without the extensions they fit the short housing and with the extensions they fit the deep housings. So some original one piece tachs fit the short housings.

25. Larry T

Larry T

Seeing the 62 409 above reminds me that the cup used in the Impalas used a screw to squeeze the tach (like the short cup in post 43 or 49) and not the two nuts on the back to hold the gauge in the housing.

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe related, maybe not. I have an old Sun vacuum gauge, the inside is dated 54 ( I think, been a while) and it looks like the early tach cup n mount. No, its not for sale, but maybe on the weekend I'll dig it out post a pic here for comparisons.

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. phat rat

phat rat

The rest of the stuff that goes with the receipt I showed earlier. The tachs and transmitter are long gone.

Attached Files:

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd like to see it.