Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using Sun Tach Without transmitter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smoothy, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Smoothy

Smoothy

I've got a sun 2245-25 tachometer that I would like to use in my 56 Chevy project. Is there any possible way to use this tach without having a transmitter? I really don't have the $500 they're asking for right now on ebay, this would look so much nicer than my autometer..... 20151222_050116.jpg

2. fms427

fms427

Nope-needs a transmitter. And remember there is a replaceable battery in the transmitter-or else it don't transmit.....

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. It's going to be a nice ornament until you get the other half of it.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. in this day and age, there isnt anybody making a modern box for these applications? hhhmmmm.....there is a definite market and its not rocket science.

6. Mark T

Mark T

turboroadster and wraymen like this.
  7. bingo! that looks to be the animal....now whos gonna buy one and try one? I have a few old tachs and this could be the key to getting them off the shelf and put them to use.

wraymen likes this.
  8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  9. Yes they did mine as well, box and tach.

Great work!

I think he can convert it to one piece if would like.

10. Atwater Mike likes this.
  11. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a vintage Sun tach for 12-volts and 8-cylinders. It is still in the box. Had it on my rod for a short time. Works great. At you door in time for Christmas for only $150.

12. Get it converted to solid state is the only option.

If you buy a 500 dollar transmitter and then have to go looking for batteries you are in bad shape too. They are hard to find and are not cheap when you do.

13. $12.50 I'll give it a go!

14. I think you need the module and then the add on module for old tachs too. I'll order a set ($67+6 shipping) and update when they get here too.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Holy crap!
    I bought an EB-9A transmitter (NOS) years ago at the Portland swap meet for 10 bucks.
    It was new in the box with all paper work, sold it for 100 bucks six months later.
    I thought I was really in the money.
    BTW, those old ones that have been sitting around for years with a leaking battery may not be worth spending any money on. I know, because I bought a used one that was all corroded inside.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think a lot of guys just post shit on ebay with some ridiculous "buy it now", then some guy sees it, and assumes it has some basis in reality. I have never heard of anyone actually paying $500 for a transmitter. I bought a decent late fifties screw-post style EB-9A transmitter on ebay last year for $75. $500 sounds like some kinda TV-land fantasy to me...
    And if you aren't going to run the transmitter, it isn't "period-correct" anyway. Why not just buy the new 're-pop" tach? Its a LOT harder to tell the new tach from the old than it is to overlook the big black box missing from the firewall. This is like the guy who is all worried about fitting strombergs end to end with his HEI, just doesn't make any sense to me.

bowie and Atwater Mike like this.
  17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

18. i used the new repro and it works fine and looks good
    i am looking for a transmitter box, with a good tag. it can be non working, as i am looking for just the housing.

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

If your looking for a vintage tach without a transmitter buy a Sun Super Tach ll model CP 7901. They are all over eBay

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow, someone get's it.
    Some cars just (have to) have a Sun black box on the firewall to "look" right, huh.

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Can you post some more shots of how you have this mounted? Just going by memory, but it doesn't seem like there's room there for a tach without hitting the windshield.

22. 1450818837434.jpg I love the new Bosch one. Actually has terminals inside the cup to wire it with instead of pig tail wires hanging out

23. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have one of those old style Suns in my '28 PU that I hooked up without a transmitter and it worked fine for probably 4-5 years, but has since stopped working. I haven't looked into why it stopped (too busy driving it). But was there a version that didn't require a transmitter?

24. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Has anyone tried using the guts from the new Bosch with the face, bezel, and maybe pointer of an old Sun?

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes, there was. But it didn't have the red oval on the face with the Sun logo; just said 'Sun' in white letters. For all other purposes, it was identical to the new Bosch!
    BUT, (and it's a big one) the new model required a DEEPER cup, by about 1.25", which had a 'mini-transmitter' inside. UGLY.
    Spot 'em in a minute.
    Just screamed, "I wasn't there when the real ones were out!" :D
    The Super Stock 421 Pontiac guys (at Fremont drags in '64-'68) all seemed to hang their tachs in the upper left of the windshields! But the longer one really looked like pooh there...

JWindsor13 likes this.
  26. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Here you go Blues. I just spaced it away from the windshield & it fit pretty well. It is bolted to the sailplate from the inside with acorn nuts outside.

new_tach3.jpeg new_tach4.jpeg

27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  28. i want it for under the dash for another project. were they always mounted on the firewall?

29. 1934coupe

1934coupe

They did two transmitters for me so far, and I've never spent more than $40.00 for an old transmitter. One that is converted is worth $150.00. They also redid 2 tachs for me and they look brand new, bought a 7000 tach and they put a new 8500 face in it and it looks and works like brand new. A fake, looks like a Sun tach is just that, A fake looks like a Sun tach.

Pat

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm confused a little. The new Sun tach is made by Bosch, a company with serious electronic creds, right? They're offering a new Sun tach that looks like the old one yet requires no box on the firewall. You get a box and have it there to complete the vintage vibe. I didn't get the memo where we're supposed to raise a right hand as to how we duplicated the look of back in the day, or that we had to 'fess up that it's a new tach and take 100 lashes from the wet noodle as a public sentencing because we "faked it"? I dunno kids, new part sure to last a long time, new electronics inside for reliability, and this is a bad thing how? So then get the Auto Meter version as advertised on the TJJ front page. Good looking part and about the same zip code pricewise. Just sayin, carry on...

Hnstray likes this.