Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Levee Leveler (A Single Seat Racer Circa 1934)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Dec 17, 2015.

1. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

looks good, quality workmanship! subscribed.

2. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

amazing work ,like how you fold and fit all the frame parts

3. Great build, I will be watching.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Thanks fellas! Much appreciated.

Here are a few examples of what I am aiming for with this build. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png

image.jpeg

Hopefully less crashy than this one!
    image.jpeg

brEad, catdad49, Alex1956 and 3 others like this.
  5. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

Good Stuff; Keep up the good work, I'll be watching.

cactus1 likes this.
  6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

^^^^^^^
    If you can build it, you can rebuild it!
    I'm you can race in, at some point you will have to fix it.

So; use it as much as you can, as long as your body allows and go as fast as you dare.
    It will be so much fun that you won't feel like holding back.

I will keep an eye on your pregress

Kedde, kiwijeff and cactus1 like this.
  7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

oooh, this is exciting Mikey. can't wait to see it come together. the nose on the crashy one is kinda sexy.

gwhite and cactus1 like this.
  8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Nice build! Keep us posted. I'm watching.
    Gary

cactus1 likes this.
  9. I'm loving the direction this is headed. Are you planning on building the body completely from scratch or from some existing body panels?

10. Koz

Koz

A man after my own heart! Watching closely as this build progresses. Looks like a great shop as well..... Pics?

11. jcillch

jcillch

Fvbffdg .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Thanks! I have a '29 Chevy open car cowl that I bought many years ago during the initial phase of collecting. It was going to have more of a "modified" feel to it rather than Sprint car. I don't know if I'll be able to use it or not?

Thank you. I only just started getting the shop together last winter but it has come pretty far. Electricity is limited out there at this point to one plug (120v) downstairs and one up. I really miss my TIG and will have to think about getting that going before I start on the body. Right now I am welding everything with my little 120V wire welder with flux core wire :oops::eek:. It actually kind of suits the build as it resembles stick welds. I did manage to get most of my salvaged lighting up and the place painted. Also some benches and the tool wall which I love! I also insulated the ceilings and put up house wrap to brighten things up a bit.

image.jpeg image.jpeg So this is in the two car garage portion of our dairy barn on the far right end. It was built in 1946. image.jpeg

This is looking from the garage end to the other side where I have a welding area and other areas set up in the stalls. image.jpeg

Upstairs I have a full woodshop as well...

brEad, catdad49, flatout51 and 10 others like this.
  13. That's some great shop space!
    What will it take to get big power in there?

14. Huh???

Thanks Kelly! Well, I have to get a dual meter can from the electric company and run bigger lines from the pole to the barn. I do have a breaker panel that I salvaged from a job so that's covered. I really wanted to get everything set up to make sure I had machines in good locations before I ran too much conduit and stuff. I think I like the layout I just need to get started. I was so excited to start building a car again that I've just been making due and it has been sufficient. I do miss my air tools and bigger welders though!

brEad and catdad49 like this.
  15. dechrome

dechrome

I love your build. I built a similar project in mid 80s with some concessions to license and drive on the street.
    I don't have chassis pictures on the computer but it is similar to yours.
    dechrome
    IMG_0152.JPG

brEad, catdad49, whtbaron and 6 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The belly pan really helps nail the proportions on that single seater! Very cool

17. Wow that is fantastic! Did you retain the closed driveline? I was planning on heading in that direction as what few examples I've been able to find pictures of from the period still had TT's. If you happen to find those chassis pics I'd love love love to see them! I'm kind of just flying by the seat of my pants here, ha!

I agree! Some form of belly pan is a must for mine for sure!

catdad49 likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Your legs gotta go somewhere!

19. Truth! :)

20. Ghost28

Ghost28

Nice. I like the direction you are going with this build. After the buick roadster I will be looking for another different build. Thanks for posting.

21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D This looks like LOADS of fun.Keep the updates coming.Thanks.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. clem

clem

Especially when you consider the camera technology of the day. Probably explains why the dust is in focus and not much else.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  23. clem

clem

Nice build, and great workshop. A bit better than what I was imagining a dairy barn was.... would also make a great house !

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. Thanks for checking in John!

Thanks Leo!

I found that pic on eBay and it is hanging in the shop as inspiration. It is so good!

Thanks! We were very fortunate to find this place and bought it from the original owner's great grandson...:eek:!

25. I had a spare '34 rear that I got with the front axle when I bought it so decided to put it to use. I heated and straightened out the hangers since I am using a T rear spring. I started pulling the hubs since I want mechanical brakes (it had a juice conversion from who knows how long ago.) Well, my plans were foiled when one of the hubs refused to budge! Two different pullers, heat, 10 pound hammer, no avail. The key was twisted and spun and evidently welded to the axle taper...poop. image.jpeg

Fortunately I had another complete rear to use so I repeated the spring hanger heating operation and put some new oilite bearings in place. image.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    brEad, catdad49, hipster and 4 others like this.
  26. Can't wait to watch this come together, your shop is awesome too.

27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

so when you heat the spring hangers on a 34, they stretch to put a straight spring in about the same center plane as stock with compound curve spring? or maybe it doesn't matter to you at all since there won't be a wheel well to line up with. i'm just storing info away in the brain for potential later use.

28. Thanks Jeff!

I only heated them to pull them perpendicular to the crossmember and spring since the T spring is straight and the '34 spring is curved. I am fortunate on this project that nothing really has to line up with any set points. The front and rear assemblies have both moved forward on the frame a similar amount however if that makes sense?

29. I cleaned up my T spring, removed a couple of leaves and set it on the ground. image.jpeg image.jpeg

I then turned my attention back to the front and decided to use some of the wishbone bungs that Cory Taulbert @CTaulbert offers. They are a super nice product! I had some 1/4" cold rolled steel left over from another project and made some brackets to roughly locate the front end at this point.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    brEad and catdad49 like this.
  30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ball socket sure looks the part on that split wishbone! I set my '27 Hiboy up that way in '76. Some 'Bay Area Roadsters' members looked at it and hated it...They said I should buy the new P&J 4 bars, and Mustang steering. :p
    I've been saving parts for a one man car for years...your project is right along the same lines. Are you going to 'sweep' the rear of the frame over the axle housings like the Essex rails?
    I have a few front axles to choose from, prefer the Elliott design, but will probably use my '36 Ford...
    Super jazzed about this, thanks for all the pics...and Inspiration!
    Anxious to see how you'll shape the belly pan. (meaning I suspect some ultra-practical solution!)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    brEad and hipster like this.