Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tea baggers? Morris Garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Feb 25, 2006.

1. My brother is visiting me for a couple of days and I was showing him this place. He vintage races a MGB. I wondered if anyone on here is into these little buzz bombs. His little car might not be a traditional style hot rod, but it sure embodies the spirit of grass roots rodding. He had a cam ground to his specs and fabricated a lot of the stuff he runs. IMO, it's a hot rod. I told him that there were a bunch of Limeys and Kiwis and Ausies that post here. Does anybody play with these things? Is there a HAMB equilivent for the tea baggers?

Pip pip
    Chili

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Not a MG, but here are some snapshots of the Turbo setup I'm building for my English Ford Engine...

3. Used to have an MGB GT, still want another one. It was one of the funnest cars to drive I owned. Always wanted to use a B engine with an overdrive tranny in a hotrod, my B had a great OD tranny that gave you 6 forward speeds. If you search the net there was some KICK ASS speed stuff done for the BMC A & B series engines back in the day. Check this place out....

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgtd/mgtd_accessories_superchargers.htm

4. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Um...maybe it's an English thing....but over here MGB's are the complete antithesis of hotrodding. In fact, owning one and admitting it to your friends will ensure many lonely nights are spent wondering where all your friends went.
    The earlier models have slightly less hate directed towards them, the later ones had the most ridiculous looking plastic front bumper and grille arrangement to appease the impact regulation gods.

Tea bagger? Erm....I'm guessing you haven't Googled that recently?

5. LIMEY

LIMEY

When i first ventured into the motortrade the very first car i was given to work on was an MG Costello V8, this was the guy who shoehorned the Rover P5 motor into the MG before it was even available as a production car, easily recognised by its huge hood bulge to clear the stock SU carbs.
    Also at the time the boss owned an MGC which has to be one of the nicer MG's of that period......slightly less of a hood bulge than the Costello but still covered the whole length to clear the straight six ohv motor.
    Prior to B & midget models MG's were quite nice cars with models like TF...TD & MGA.

The BMC A & B series engines are excellent for tuning as proved by many people inluding David Vizard.

Ted i can see you now in your MGB with your locks flying in the wind! :)

Kev.

6. Well Kev I had to cut all that damn hair off as I was looking a little to rough even for meself to take! I'd still love an MGA, espically the twin cam version...

Teabagger was a term used for those into Sports Cars here in the states starting in the 50's, and yeah as it sounds it was a bit deragatory. Sports cars took off like wildfire here in the 50's and LOTS of hotrodders got into road racing, hell it was just another way to go fast.

7. marq

marq

In England it is essential to wear a flat cap whilst driving one and have a jack russel terrier noddy out the rear window................Marq

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Does the flat cap aid tea bagging? What role does the jack russel play in this sordid affair?

Was embarrassingly stranded on the side of the road as I ran out of gas in the '34 several months ago. Two flat-cappers in their drop head coupes went by & had the audacity to honk & wave! :mad: Wankers! ...er...tea baggers! (just doesn't have the same ring to it)

9. muffman58

muffman58

A friend of mine here is friends with Ken Pratther[SP] who knows a little about hot MGs. He`s a racer and knows more about these things than anyone! Do a search for him, you won`t be disapointed. Don`t be to hard on the little english cars, remember that the AC Cobra got its start with one as its basis! Yeah I`m a closet English car guy.

10. I just googled tea bagging. Once again I feel that my age has made me embarrassed. Not to say unhip. Maybe I should stop using it.

What I learned that was more useful was the term "Flat Capper". That brought a guffaw from my brother and it has found it's way into his vocabulary. Thanks for that.

11. ray

ray
    from colorado

ahahaha!

i wonder how many unsuspecting old farts and young guys too are gonna be googling to see what all the fuss is?:D

pssst guys, here's a tip, try google image search first.;)

reminds me of when i had to figure out what this "goatse" thing was...oops!

12. krooser

krooser

I think "tea bagger" is going to hit #1 on Google real soon....

Anyway, I've owned several MGB's and B-GT's but I really enjoyed my ten years of hell with my Triumph TR-3...traded it for a '39 Ford sedan and my wife's still pissed...

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MG stands for Mostly Garbage, anyone who would actually own one of those pieces of crappy english tin should be drug out back and beaten with a very large adjustable spanner.

If you own a B, well you have problems, if you admit it, you should be ostracized immediately. If you use one as a daily driver, well...(shaking head)

If you own a spridget, you need to be shot.

If you a TC-D-F, then you are just dumb and society will forgive you (eventually).

If you own either a J4 or a K3 you might as well be god.

Hmm...Tea Bagger, sounds liie someone who didn't pass out at the party after the Rugby match. Tea Baggee, guess you are the one who passed out...

14. Frank

Frank

Cool! Is that a 1600 Kent motor?

<-Capri fan
    72 2600 Capri
    71 2000 Capri
    And various other models over the years...

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, its a Kent.
    I'm putting he Turbo setup together with a Turbo off a 1.6 CVH, and a Carb & pressure box off a Maserati BiTurbo.
    And the Engine will end up in a Scottish built Clubmans Racer I own.

I have a '73 Capri V6 too, but its getting a SBC...:D

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

now that i am done being a jackass...i can stick my own foot in my mouth and shoe leather.

MG B's are fun little cars (i have owned and driven a B GT for the past 8 years). The B's are basically bomb proof, and are indestructable. You can make them go quickly and out handle most things on the road.

The major problem with them is that they are geared very short. You need to have an OD, (but these are expensive) with an OD they will cruise all day at 75 and not even break a sweat.)

If you are looking for a place to induldge in MGs/ British cars in general go to:

http://www.britishcarforum.com/

for parts try the following:

http://www.mossmotors.com

and

http://www.victoriabritish.com/

I guess basically if you want a B road cruiser it is hard to beat. Dont think it is going to do a 150mph, and you will get along fine with it. The MGOC is the oldest single make car club in the world, and there are lots of great clubs and support to be had.

People that own MG's have problems, but dont we all?

- Doug

17. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

Wow Fur, I thought you were made at ME for a minuet. I have to admit I’m a little masochistic, not only do I have a chrome bumper B, I’ve got two, count’m, two Jags. I know, I know. Dumb shit….. Some people never learn.

18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ah, you are disturbed beyond reason!!! What varietal of Jag do you posess?

Also if you guys want to see how high the MG B bar is set for speed, check out the following

http://shop.cambridgemotorsport.com/

http://www.fast-mg.com/

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

I thought that was the Triumph Spitfire...:D

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

an associate of mine has a spit that he dropped a 2.3 SOHC mustang motor, 5 speed, and a Subaru rear diff in...along with dual 45 dcom's, that thing is going to be bloody dangerous!

21. I'm back into hotrods now with a '40 merc and '40 ford pickup, but was brought up around TD's and raced MGA's in S.C.C.A. for years before going into formula fords and formula atlantics. Yes, Ken Prather is the king of MGA racing with at least 2 national championships! I still have a '57 MGA and one of those ugly bumper MGB's but your right, the B's are bullet proof and alot of fun! There was a post awhile back where someone built a wild gasser out of an MGA!

22. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sooooo...there are closet MG owners on the HAMB...:D

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think a blown 392 HEMI in an MG-TD is more of a Hot Rod, this one was the 9th fastest car at the 1965 US Nationals.

Attached Files:

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cool beans! wonder if it still is in existance...

25. Stone

Stone

MG gassers are cool.

26. JasonK

JasonK

Here is one pic of my old '73 MGB. I trashed the project. but not until I had the motor and tranny installed. The body was just too far gone is why I hgave up. Someday I will build another..... :)

Attached Files:

• mg1.jpg
      mg1.jpg
      File size:
      57.1 KB
      Views:
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll get to it some day, trust me. I just need to focus and finish some other projects.:D

Attached Files:

28. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Btt...I thought teabagger was another word for scrotum...funny right?

29. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

I've got a '66 3.8 S-type sedan and a 90 XJS V-12 convert.

30. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I'll come clean too. I just sold a chrome bumper midget. I have a '59 Austin Healey Bugeye. All stock, but have a 1275 engine and ribcase trans sitting there waiting to go into it. A neat little car, complete with a Betty Boop horn button. It now has front discs, wire wheels, headers, etc. 0-60 times are measured with a grandfather clock.:D