Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mercury TopChop blues.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kenneth31coupe, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

Excellent seems too tame a word to say.

I first read of this project in the Bible, Songs of Solomon.
    Thou art all fair... there is no spot in thee... the work of the hands of a cunning craftsman.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Thanks Tom.Made up your mind yet?

Makes me really humble beeing compared to a Bible quote. Thanks

Passengerside done and so is driverside. Have started on the garnish moldings but since this car have opening quarterwindows from factory we want to keep it that way and there´s some tinkering with them. Pics will come as soon as I´m done.
    [​IMG]

3. Just read this thread. Yes that's a great chop.

4. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

All your work looks so good! If my inside welding on the shoebox looked half this good i be glad!

5. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Excellent Kenneth. Metal working at its finest. Mark.

6. Many thanks folks

7. layedout49

layedout49

Always like when people spend time on making the inside nice even if you don't see it

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Have started on the quarterwindows garnishmoldings. Since this car have opening quarters we like to keep it that way.

I started with cutting the molding along the scribed lines

[​IMG]
    Cut out lower front corner too

[​IMG]
    Pie cut and tilted it forward.
    [​IMG]

Upper part.
    [​IMG]
    Since the b-pillars are slanted the upper mounting for the window was moved forward and didn´t line with the lower any more. Cut it out and will move it backwards where it lines with the lower.

[​IMG]
    This is the rear corner after piecutting and reshaping. These moldings will be chromed and fix this I think it´s too much of work to get this corner good enough for chroming.Decided to make a new one instead.

[​IMG]

Transferd it to thin paper and then over to thicker paper to make it easier to copy it on a plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut a plate and braked it on three sides to get a box to keep it from warping.

[​IMG]

Here I have cut the hole and scribes a line for guide.
    [​IMG]
    Shaped an L-shaped piece to follow the scribed guide line.
    [​IMG]

Made some dies for the Pullmax and here you can see how the L-shaped guide plate will follow the die.

[​IMG]

Here´s the corner after pullmaxing.
    [​IMG]

Cut out and shaped .
    [​IMG]

Tacked together with the rest of the molding. Now the upper front corner will get the same treatment and have to make the inside of the corner aswell

[​IMG]

layedout49, 1952B3b23 and jocktherock like this.
  9. Have made the inner part for the corner and the u-chanel that holds the rubber molding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

layedout49, 1952B3b23 and jocktherock like this.
  10. layedout49

layedout49

Very nice work . Great job on the Pullmax also

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Really enjoy following the build. That's a terrific Pullmax job on the garnish. Sure saved a ton of welding and grinding!

12. DRD57

DRD57

Very nice work!

13. Thanks.For these kind of jobs the pullmax is priceless
    Glad you like it.Spend some time making the dies but I think it was all worth it

Thank you

14. 36's seem to sprout up like mushrooms in that shop!!

15. telekenfun

telekenfun

16. It seems like everyone wants a chopped 36 coupe now. Maybe it´s something in the water, I don´t know:D

Many thanks KB.

17. Haven´t done anything on this last couple of weeks but today was a little bit of progress. Made the upper frontcorner on the garnisch molding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut,trimmed and final test fit before welding.

[​IMG]

18. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

19. lomofo1949

lomofo1949
    from Georgia

Awesome metal work!

20. Thank you very mutch.
    Have had some other work to do so this one have been put aside for a while but today there was osme progress again.Driverside quarter window garnish is grinded and smoothed.Ready for polishing before plating. P1030112.JPG

P1030111.JPG

21. rb25

rb25

22. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Excellent work!

23. Thanks a lot. I love your Impala.I have owned a 59 Impala coupe since 1983 and handed it over to my son. Currently we are in the process of building it in to a mild 60´s styled kustom.

Many thanks John.

24. Beautiful work

Hennie

25. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Excellent Kenneth. Merry Christmas to you.

26. Thank you.

This one have been in the back ground for a while due to some other projects so I think it´s time to bring it up again. Made a test for the stainless quarter window frame.Have been thinking on how to reshape it for a while and decided to make a try with one of the extra frames and to my surprice it was very easy to bend and shape it whithout heating it first.Had to take it slowly bit by bit but the u-chanel kept its shape really well with only some minor warping in the rear corner but it was easy to tap it back in shape by putting a flatbar in the u and tap it down with a small hammer.Now this is only a test part and not really finnished but now I know it works to make it this way for the real ones.

[​IMG]

27. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Thanks much for showing progress Kenneth.Much appreciated.You know I love this car.

28. Thanks Tom. Glad you like it and hope it can give you some inspiration.

29. Well I think it´s time to bring this up again. For the trim around the side windows I will try to use a D-shaped stainless bar instead of the originals. A lot of guys are using brass bars but I think stainless will be easier to work with and they can be polished to final finish instead of sending them away for chrome plating.Started with driver side quarterwindow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Sprout

Sprout

awesome work