Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Glad you decided to keep it.

slacker1965 likes this.
  2. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  3. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

So, I was at a good friend of mines shop out in eastern,Pa picking up a 34 ford frame that I just bought back(I sold it to him about 20 years ago!). He's got a really trick '34 five window coupe( also sold to him 20 yrs ago) he's been working on for a LONG time.(and it's still not done)..While checking out his car I saw he had a really nice louvered decklid,hood top and sides. When I asked him who did his louvers,he told me he did them himself with a press he bought from an old hot-rodders estate sale in Florida.Knowing I really wanted to do louvers on my coupe he said," why don't you buy my louver press!"..And the rest is history!..I trucked this sucker home for a great price..She's big enough to do any friggin louver job I can think of..If you're in the NJ/Ny/Pa area and need louvers done,I'm now in the louver business! Ha ha!
    partss 001.JPG

4. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

5. That looks awesome I may have to stop down d be worth the road trip just to see your coupe! Maybe I could drive my sedan I'm building down for a weight lose session (turn it into a coupe) weekend! Ha Ha Hobo Jim

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

You fire this baby up yet?!!!

7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Steve!

Absolutely!

8. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Not yet..Working on putting together the quick change rear..I'll be posting that part of the build here after the holidays.

9. Now that is so cool.....I would love to have one myself. You are very lucky to score that one.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  10. Your coupe is now officially a TV star. Just saw it on chasing classic cars covering TROG. with it Blasting off the line... Can't wait for next year!!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  11. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I heard that the coupe made it on the show..Pretty cool..It's also in the Nov. 20th edition of National Dragster magazine!..Glad I didn't sell it!

12. skottyknukkles

skottyknukkles

ohh nice saw you at trog and rwp. never woulda guessed it started as a 4 door

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  13. As soon as I heard you weren't selling it I took all my junk off the market too. I was only trying to sell it to buy your coupe!!!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  14. I've really enjoyed this thread and seeing your metal skills. I'm so glad you didn't run down to the 're-pop shop' and get a body.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  15. Congrats on the TV coverage awesome build!! I only hope mine comes out half as good Congrats again!! Hobo Jim

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Glad this thread is back in circulation- if the youngins' don't get inspired by this kinda magic, they need to check their friggin' pulse!----- I love this stuff!

George, you da man!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Fordgasser1 likes this.
  17. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

This is the type thread I like to look through again and again..
    Exultant work man ....

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  18. slacker1965

slacker1965

mad skills there.....I love '33's.....my dad has a all steel 5w....I wanna do a '33 rpu with passenger car fenders hood & grill....who knows maybe I'll hit the 700m lotto saturday
    thanks for sharing

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  19. Pete

Pete

George..... Me like lots!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  20. chargin03

chargin03

Lookin good!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  21. mike bowling

mike bowling

Now that you've gone to a quickchange and asphalt racing, do you need something like this ????????Hurst pie crust cheaters on Ford steelies 5 x 5.5 x 15 ?? ( off an "A" )

Just happen to have a pair in stock!!

Attached Files:

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  22. Maybe on chrome reverse rims, I got those in stock if ya need um.....I know you have a few things I need.

Attached Files:

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  23. Try this again...

Attached Files:

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Those are tuff lookin, damn!

25. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

A little update..Got started putting the quick change together. Sorry I don't have a lot of pics to show the work done. I bought a bare QC case from Sig at Rodsville Eng..Nice piece! I did some research on how to assemble these rears and there's a lot of different info out in cyberspace(as usual!) so this is the way I did it. I removed all my internals and bells from a low mileage 40' 3.78 ratio rear end.The Ford bearings all look in excellent shape so I will be reusing them. I measured the thickness of the QC case(where the bells attach) and compared it to the width of the original banjo and they were exactly the same. I also measured the thickness of the gaskets on my old banjo to use the same thickness when i reassemble it to keep the side bearing pre-load the same. I assembled the QC with differential and side bells but without the pinion to check the bearing pre-load using an inch pound torque wrench to turn the diff. Once I had the pre-load where I wanted it,I disassembled it and cleaned it up real good to removed any oil or solvents. I put the QC in my outside grille and warmed the housing to about 350 degrees..I put all my bearings including the pinion assembly in the freezer. Once the QC housing was warmed up the cold bearings dropped right into place,no press needed! I let the whole assembly cool down and installed the lower shaft,snap rings and bearing retainers..I then set the pinion bearing pre-load by snugging up the inner pinion nut and torqued the outer nut until I had the proper reading on the inch pound torque wrench. Then the locking ring tabs are bent over to lock the nut in place.
    One thing I must mention is that before you assemble the rear the Ford pinion shaft needs to be machined down to fit inside the bearings in the outer cover. Every page i read about assembling QC rears I never saw any mention of the pinion machining required shown in the second picture.So be sure you do this BEFORE you start to re assembly! Ask me how I know!!! modelkits 005.JPG modelkits 004.JPG

skatermann, thommoina33, bct and 2 others like this.
  26. That is gonna look bad ass peeking out the bottom of your coupe!!!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Fordgasser1 likes this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That and the louvers may be more than my small brain can handle, too much badass'ry!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  28. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Nice explanation on fitting the carrier and pinion. Too many people get in a hurry and put the pinion in first. Then you can't tell if the preload drag is from the carrier or the pinion nuts.
    Did you machine the nose bearing surface on the pinion too? Seems to me ford used a 1" bearing and most QC makers went to metric. Is the Rodsville case bored for the double cup Timken roller bearing?

29. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Gearheads,thanks for the comments.This is my first QC so hopefully I won't screw it up!.If you see something obviously wrong,let me know! Anyhow,I'm using a stock ford pinion nose bearing so no pinion nose machining was necessary. Also,The ford double cup worked fine. So far, It all seems to be going together well..
    I just got a set of winters helical cut QC gears which has opened up another set of problems. They want about a .010 clearance between the gear and the rear cover.Looks like i'll need a bunch of shims to get these set up correctly..

30. Quick changes are so mystifying! Maybe its just me.. But still I feel like I don't fully understand what goes into setting one up. haha