Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bringing back a Gasser build for Southeast Gasser Association participation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fore-speed, Sep 21, 2015.

1. fore-speed

fore-speed

I hope to make this a build thread although it truly is a re-build thread. Last year I bought a 1951 styleline deluxe in Kenosha, WI. So far, the story that came with the car seems to be somewhat true. Original owner of the car decided in 68/69 timeframe to change his somewhat modified 51 deluxe coupe into a gasser. I believe his efforts came to an end in 69 when upon getting the car to a track, the driveshaft twisted and that put an end to his efforts. Fast forward to 2014 and it seems the owner had passed and his son sold the car out of it's 45 yr storage to a hot rodder who fixed the driveshaft and after freshening the fluids proceeded to drive the car in short spurts around Kenosha.
    That is when I came along in answer to an auction on Ebay, it was fall and demand was low for a track car so I couldn't resist the "Patina" and vintage components included in the build.
    After much time investgating this gasser, these are the particulars of the build. The car has a 327 SBC with no stampings on the pass ledge. The part number leads to a over the counter replacement 327 motor first available in 1968 and I believe necessitated by the re-design of this motor from a small journal to large journal configuration. So it appears the owner purchased this block from Chevy parts as a complete short block, built to stock specs. He then added a set of chevy heads that could have been used on a 350ci motor with 1.94 intake valves or may have been used on a 302/327 motor with 2.02 intake valves. They both have the same part number so I have not removed the heads yet to determine which I have. There is an aftermarket cam in the motor but I'm unaware of the specs. I'm sure this will be replaced at some point. The intake manifold is a C-8 edlebrock 2x4 sort of side by side holley 4 bbl carbs. The main components that seems to need to be replaced is the distributor.
    So this car is raised in the front but doesn't have a true straight axle, so this is the first item to be redone. Of course brakes will be redone completely. The wheels on the car are original to the late 60's build and will be retained. I have just purchase all new www slicks and front tires. All gauges and interior components are original to the build and will be retained along with the steering wheel. Transmission is from a 1962 Corvette, T10 and I will try very hard not to blow it to pieces. The rearend is from the same vette and do to its vintage original status will be retained for the time being. It is a "P" posi unit with what appears to be a 3:08 gear, not much to turn those new slicks.
    I know eventually my need for speed will necessitate updating some components possibly as they fail under pressure.
    As much as I would like to keep this piece of history in vintage form, it really wasn't much of a competitor when built and I may feel the need to upgrade most components.

Attached Files:

2. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I like it! Good start there.

3. Very COOL! Love those intakes !

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool car, how did they raise the front?

5. Is that front raised with blocks on the stock suspension?

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Nice start..Like the name..

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good find - Thanks for pics/info - forget the WWW tires/slicks

8. fore-speed

fore-speed

Yes, the front was raised with blocks, so ready to install the straight axle.

9. fore-speed

fore-speed

New tires are on.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Well, it do have some "cancer" along the rockers, so the name kinda fits, but the floors look really good. One of my cars is a 51 Bus Coupe; 355 with a built Powerglide and 2500 RPM stall converter, and a 4.88:1 geared Positraction in a 56 housing. It scoots, but it may get my 331 with 10.35 pistons, P and P'd 461X heads, Edelbrock C4B intake and 750 Holley DP backed with a 2.64 first gear, Borg Warner Super T-10 4-speed; if I keep the car. It really needs a 4-speed, but the nephew wanted an automatic when we built it; now he's lost interest and returned the car to me. The front end is blocked up with 2 inch long threaded "nuts", larger than the 16, grade 8 bolts and nuts supporting the stock front suspension. Then a 2" X 8" section of 1/4" plate was welded into the inside supports to shore up the lift. I did't like the looks of the I-beam setups most guys were using back then. It's a street gasser type of car. I really like the gauges added to the radios grille of your car, and I'll bet there are a lot of guys on here that have't seen a length of chrome exhaust pipe used as a steering column cover. That was an old trick used in the 60's using the bell end chrome exhaust pipe. Your rear end should be fine with a DECENT set of lower gears; who stuck 3.08's in there? My Delivery also has 4.88's on a Positraction, but also has a billet cap on the left carrier bearing, and Yukon axles. Plenty strong for the street and an occasional pass at the track (NOT on slicks). The original owner built your car well, follow his lead as much as possible. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. cool...I like this car already, good luck with the update.

12. I know this is a dumb question by but why install a straight axle on it?

redlineracer42 and X38 like this.
  13. I remember seeing that for sale locally and wanted to check it out...no room and no money. looks like it's gunna be a fun one

Dog_Patch likes this.
  14. fore-speed

fore-speed

New rockers are in. Couple more chemo treatments and it will be almost rust free. Need a grille shell mainly to hold the parking lights. I decided to make it street legal so I need turn signal lights.

15. bchctybob

bchctybob

Very cool!! There was a dark green '50 Chevy that prowled around our Westchester, Ca. streets way back in the high school days, same stance, SBC, 4 spd, fenderwell headers. Sounded mean. I always liked that car. Yours immediately brought back good cruisin' memories. Great find, and you seem to be making great progress already. Good luck with your new project.

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I was going to ask why ww tires..

X38 likes this.
  17. early '60s show gasser. :D

redlineracer42 likes this.
  18. fore-speed

fore-speed

Both new rockers installed. New electric fuel pump mounted in the rear and new distributor with petronix installed. Motor sounds great and strong with the original 2/4 setup. This week we will install the doors and take it out back for a test run.

Attached Files:

chevy57dude likes this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wow, the original builder of this car back in '68 was a true visionary. The name, the D/Gas lettering, in conjunction with 3.08s, its like he could see 40 years into the future!

swade41 likes this.
  20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Um, ah, never mind....

21. slammed

slammed

Making quick work of putting this one on the road/track. Less than a year. Some just type the hype......

22. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Always loved the 49 to 52 Chevrolet's for gasser's.
    Jimbo

23. fore-speed

fore-speed

Scored a grille shell for the front and without the center bar we will have room for the vintage aluminum elco tank. Also found a 60's seat in black vinyl to match the interior, we can install that as soon as the bar is installed behind the front seat to anchor the belts. Can't get at it now until next week.

24. fore-speed

fore-speed

Headed down to the gulf coast of Florida about 10/27 for 3 weeks of sun and sand. Back in time for Thanksgiving.

25. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Great looking car. I am currently starting my own gasser project. a 1953 Chevy Coupe

26. fore-speed

fore-speed

51 Chevy front tank.jpg Time for some updates, most all rust has been removed and replaced with new metal. Complete roll bar has been installed, rear wheel well openings are radiused. The grille sheel has been installed and the up front fuel tank is mounted with a bar guard to protect it from damage. I will post some pics to display the upgrades. 51 gasser rollbar.jpg 11255402_1000097826677612_2563790975617203809_n.jpg rear wheel opening radiused and new patch panel.jpg reworking the rear wheel well openings.jpg

Attached Files:

27. fore-speed

fore-speed

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Not able to view..

29. fore-speed

fore-speed

I think it is ok now, my post has pics.

30. manyolcars

manyolcars