Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look forward seeing/hearing the motor run. :D

2. I had a few good looking Xs, just sayin'

Baron likes this.
  3. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

My friend Tom Larkin changed over to a 4 speed from the hydro in his 37 red b/gasser, and I thought he needed a cross member for the trans and he said nope don't need one

One day he blew the complete 4 speed right off of the bell housing, with just the 4 trans bolts and clutch shaft left in place so after that deal he put one in

At that same time I was putting my drive line in place, and I used a 1" steel square tube cross member for the rear trans mount to keep the tail shaft housing from flexing and breaking like on Ton's car

DND

greasemonkey54 and loudbang like this.

4. From the builder.
    2nd one is bad video but great audio!

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Congrats Dave, sounds good.
    I've built a few motors for myself, worked in a couple of engine shops, and have been present during other peoples' dyno sessions, but have only had one engine of my own on a dyno, quite an experience huh.
    I'll say this; you will never have the hair stand up on the back of your neck quite like witnessing your own engine at full pull on the dyno, especially when you have every spare cent you've saved wrapped up in it.

loudbang, Baron and seb fontana like this.
  6. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Denny the hair stands up a little more, when you have thousands of the customers money running on the meter

Been on the Dyno around 30 times, and the last 12 yrs at Traco the all time best place to run your engine with all the stuff they have seen at their shop

The Traco Dyno was a open unit in the shop, so you are standing next to your engine at full tilt with open racing headers giving you all the good sounds 6 feet away and those days my friend's were ' Priceless '

DND

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    greasemonkey54 and loudbang like this.
  7. My engine was not expensive at all. $5600 complete and shipped.
    All I added was those crappy air cleaners, radiator hoses, pulleys, a belt and a fuel fitting.
    Unfortunately I wasn't there when he ran it because he is in Michigan. I found him online and liked the fact he broke it in and dyno'd it. It came with a 2 year warranty also.
    Tomorrow it will raise the hair when I run it in the driveway. Started it around noon and ran for 3 minutes to help cure the headers. It will be interesting to see how they change and hopefully settle in.
    I plan to video it tomorrow, we'll see how well that goes.

8. CGkidd

CGkidd

9. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I know everyone says that the Gassers died in 1968, but as an observation through pictures and old magazines I disagree...sure AA/GS died because of them looking like slow funny cars, but not the lower unblown classes. There are tons of pics from the late 60's through the early 70's that prove this class was still alive....anybody else notice this?

10. I was 6 in 68 so I cant add anything, glad to learn through the HAMB.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

There was still a few here in CT Dragway the mid 70's...At least two :D me and the Eye Dr. Leo with axles...I ran brackets cause too low on power for proper class [lbs/cube] and think Leo may have too...Crap, that was 40 years ago [hate to admit it!] but would like to revisit..

loudbang likes this.
  12. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

The gassers were still running in the late 60's and into the 70's , but had gone to smaller cars - chopped tops etc and lost the whole gasser spirit from the early days

loudbang likes this.
  13. Baron likes this.
  14. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Wishing to you all a very ' Merry Christmas ' to the Gasser Gang thread people

DND

gearheadruss and CGkidd like this.
  15. Echo that^
    A few days with family will fuel the fire for garage time next week.

16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right back at you and a Happy Healthy New Year !
    Baron

17. CGkidd

CGkidd

And a Merry Christmas to you DND

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL...I get that. I was thinking a few HOURS with family might fuel the fire for garage time later that afternoon....Merry Christmas to all...You know the rest.

19. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Do any of you guys know when and if you could cut the windshield for injector stack clearance? When you set an engine back 10% in a Tri-five your engine is halfway under the dash.

20. Afew hours will, but we traveled 6 so we should stay a couple days to keep my credit

21. Larry T

Larry T

1971 rulebook says no.

The gas classes died in 1981 along with most of the little guy classes (Modified Production, etc.) when NHRA did away with Modified Eliminator. The cars were completely different then than in the 60s - mid 60's Corvettes, Vegas, Camaros and Opel GTs.

loudbang and II FUNNY like this.
  22. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Thanks for the info...I've seen cars with it done, but they looked like it wasn't an old photo.

23. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Most of the cars I raced were like mine tall and narrow in the engine area, never had the worry about cutting out the glass, a few tri 5's were running but never saw one with the hood up to see what they had done

DND

24. Larry T

Larry T

This is how I was setting mine up, before I sent it down the road. I think it figured about 5% setback. I wanted to be able to pull the distributor without pulling the engine.

55 engine setback 2.jpg 55 engine setback.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  25. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450918633.617226.jpg
    Mine is more like 8/9%
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450918731.698884.jpg
    I cut an inch total out of this tunnel ram....and the Crower injector I have isn't even close.

Attached Files:

26. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

YES! Remember cover pix on PHR And HR from the mid to late "70's with 69, 70 Darts, Opel Kadettes and GT's with early Hemi's and coil over straight axles. Steel cars with glass noses

loudbang, II FUNNY and mad mikey like this.
  27. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Was looking for Kadette before I bought the Austin.

II FUNNY likes this.
  28. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I love them little cars...I just don't think I'd fit.lol ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451187162.943089.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451187174.444328.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451187182.379410.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451187191.101524.jpg