Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** December 2015 Banger Meet - Naughty but good at it ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Dec 1, 2015.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

jimski , send me a ticket & ill come help you .............. steve

2. Name that Head episode 64, what is it?

IMG_0327.JPG

3. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Well, I sprung for that short block I posted about last month. Went and got it today and I think for $160 I did pretty good. Only concern is this "patch" type thing at the top of the block by the head. You can see it here all the way to the left, kind of looks like body filler (but it's metal.) I'll probably have that addressed when the block goes in for machine work, just to be on the safe side of things...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450060527.498199.jpg

And it didn't take long to find out why it had been taken out of service! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450060679.532765.jpg

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the plate near the head is the motor # plate . mine is registered to that # . take care of it !
    junk Babbitt is the norm on old motors .

The Brown Sound likes this.
  5. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

Thanks !

6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG]

did we figure out this head ?

7. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

My guess and it only a guess is Willy s

8. correct, Duvall overhead conversion.

9. If you have it hot tanked you will see it better if the hot tank doesn't dissolve it. Looks like it could possibly be an old crack repair. Commonly repaired with JB weld or similar material. Maybe just a paint smear

10. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Yep, that's the plan. Now that you mention it t could be JB weld. I thought it was lead or something similar. If that's the case, how are these sorts of things best fixed? Brazing?

11. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

This just arrived in the mail. Thanks to rockman29 (Jim) for the cover, and to BCCHOPIT for the heads-up on these.
    IMG_1184.JPG

12. ^^^^ That's neat!

13. patina steve

patina steve

Working on a little B motor for the new 4 door, did a little head work on this one and a few extra spark plugs.

Attached Files:

14. Brazing is probably the most popular if done right. There are a lot of JB weld repairs that seem to work. You should shop for a welder that is familiar with this type of work.

15. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Thanks. I'm fortunate enough to have a fantastic engine and machine shop 40 minutes from me, I'd like to have it repaired with metal. While I have it stripped down I might as well go nuts with it.

Speaking of going nuts with it: I plan to have it machined to fit the larger intake valves (I think 1.73") is it worth going larger on the exhaust valves as well?

Some rough things I am planning in addition are 7:1 head (dual plug if I can find one), Y exhaust manifold with single header, and a dual carb intake, probably Equalizer or similar, and an .080" overbore.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  16. blgitn

blgitn

Steve,
    I'd like to hear how 8 plugs do, compared to 4:
    I have a 4 plug iron one of those I'll be installing this season.
    Keep us posted!

17. ebtm3

ebtm3

Have to be careful with having 2 plugs in a combustion chamber that has turbulence, that you don't run into colliding flame fronts

Herb

18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ok , ill bite . what has been done here ?
    [​IMG]

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My 8 plug Plymouth head. Ran fine on salt and El Mirage. About 9 to 1 CR as I figured it. Went 113.7 at the lake. Ran for a few years. never any sign of detonation. I used 10mm plugs because I had a bunch of them and I had a tap for 10mm. new ply. jpg.JPG .

Tedders, waxhead and burl like this.
  20. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Looks like ceramic coating

21. 12secvx

12secvx

How do I get one of these for my project?!

22. works good for front oil pump mount also. IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

Dannerr and waxhead like this.
  23. patina steve

patina steve

Check out the web site for Piranio antique engine he has some dyo info on 8 plug heads using a distributor. Dyno tuning my Bonneville engine we gained 7 hp, over the single plug , by changing the timing on the two plugs firing the one over the valve first and then a few degrees later the one over the cylinder, this was done with computer ignition rater then a distributor.

24. patina steve

patina steve

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

amazing banger !! great job ......

26. patina steve

patina steve

Thought you might enjoy seeing the Bonneville engine, one year in the making, and two years waiting to prove itsellf on the salt........................................................................

Attached Files:

27. rockman29

rockman29

Thanks guys for the plugs! I have two more timing covers available from this run. You can PM me or send an e-mail at [email protected] if you are interested. If there is enough interest I will make another run this winter.

Thanks,

Jim

Dannerr and CrazyUncleHarry like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I should check in here more often, Jim great to here the bypass went well. Here is a shot of the DuVall setup from the fifth edition Automobile Racing by Ray F. Kuns 1939. What came first this head or the windshield? Merry Christmas everyone! Bob AFTER Hersher 2015 917.jpg

29. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Mary Christmas to all my (Banger) brothers ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450580463.881063.jpg