Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Lew Thompson Coupe... Final Assembly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 16, 2015.

1. von Dyck

von Dyck

In my perspective, that coupe was not a great looker in '54, nor is it now! Ditch the ear-muffs and return it to a five-window.
    Ya, I'll get some flack on this comment.

Woogeroo likes this.
  2. And folks get threads deleted for having a 5spd in it...........................................I tried to buy another 5W with the qtr windows blanked 30 years ago from a couple local street rodders. They would not sell and I think they still have the tin sitting.....................

3. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

As much as I love my roadster, my biggest regret is not going 5 speed, staying pig headed and traditional.
    This car is now a driver, and I assume will be driven hard, awaiting a full feature.

billylo and Texascash like this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

My opinion...

For three years, I drove a '39 sedan every single day. It had a hopped up flathead and the original top loader. Not once did I wish it had a 5-speed. I know, 5-speeds are more practical and easier to live with... But, the reason I was driving that car every day is because I truly enjoy driving old cars. I like how it slowed life down a little bit and I truly loved how mechanical it felt.

But I get the attraction to modern transmissions. I've driven plenty of flathead cars with them... but to me and in my own personal opinion, it changes the experience too much for my senses.

I make no qualms about it. I don't deny it. I never will... I'm a traditional hot rod elitist.

By that, I mean that I know what I like and I know what I want from an old car. I don't, however, hold it against anyone else for wanting and liking something different.

So, lets bring it back to this car. If it were mine, it would have taken years and years to get it back on the road. I would have spent hours and hours researching (one of my favorite parts of the process). Even more time hunting for rare parts to rebuild what was already there. I'd set it up to run nitro or gas... I'd... Well, I'd spend thousands of dollars and hours trying to end up with a car as close as possible to what it was when Lew built it. And I'd end up with a car that would probably be inferior in every way to the car it is right now. And I'd be ok with that. Giddy even...

In the end, it doesn't matter. Why?

1. It ain't my car.
    2. I couldn't own this car. I don't fit in it.

Anyway, here's the part that a lot of folks don't get. Even some of my pals... As strongly as I feel about traditional hot rods and as much of an "elitist" as I am when it comes to their means of being built, I don't hold anyone in a lower regard for having a different opinion from my own. If everyone thought the way that I did, this would be a tiny little forum and the world would be boring as all hell...

I do, however, have one thing in my pocket that would spawn a judgmental prick. If Eric doesn't drag race this thing when it's done, he's dead to me.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I'm an elitist on one of the cars I own ('39 top-loader), am building to an elitist level on my next project (another '39 top-loader), but I sure am open to hiding a 5-speed under another of my projects (currently has a Muncie 4-speed). I've driven thousands of miles with the early Ford drivetrain, and I can appreciate it for what it is. It certainly is a badge of honor to drive/maintain that setup in your hot rod. But I won't say it's the only way I'll ever go.

Hitchhiker and hansboomer like this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last update before Christmas break.

Yesterday started with a scary project - drilling holes in the freshly chromed firewall. Keith used a dremel to grind away the chrome in a tiny spot to start the drill bit. He then bravely went at it. It actually went pretty smoothly.

08.jpg

There's still plenty of more holes to drill in the firewall, so do me a favor and keep us in your thoughts! :)

Next on the list was to fit the chrome windshield surround. It was an absolute bitch of a job. Back in the day, fit and finish wasn't as high on the priority list as it is today. That was evidenced by this windshield surround... It just would not fit. I think it was mocked up in the 1940's without a rubber seal or maybe they just didn't chop it quite as much as the top was chopped or... hell if I know really.

Keith was way more patient than I could have been. He'd tweak a hinge, come and get me to help fit it on the car, take it off, tweak a hinge, come and get me, etc... It went on all day. By dinner time though he had done something that I didn't think was at all possible when we were eating breakfast tacos earlier that day - he made the thing fit half way decent.

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

kidcampbell71 and 63fdsnr like this.
  7. billylo

billylo

I like your view of a traditional car and I like the idea of restoring it to one of the many forms that it was under Lew's ownership! Then you have to ask yourself which version was best and I guess that is up to the owner! So instead of doing a Concours de Elegance restoration, which was contemplated, instead Eric, after talking to Lew about it decided it should be built in this form! I still don't think that there is anything wrong or disrespectful about what has been done to the Coupe now! Eric went to great lengths to get, not only Lew involved but also Gene! How cool is that? Both of them agreed and said that this is what the car deserved!!! So I would rather see Lew and Gene's stamp of approval over anyone else in the world! Including yourself, Ryan. No disrespect, but those 2 men know bad Arss and this coupe is it! Can't wait to see this thing blasting down the road and trust me it will be!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I feel ya... and agree... My wife stomped on my approval stamp years ago after it ran out of ink.

J. A. Miller likes this.
  9. billylo

billylo

Lol you're still the man, just not when she's around!

10. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

The Tremec wouldn't be my choice, but it's not my car and if that's what it takes to make it a driver for him, I'm all for it.
    I think "traditional" is more about building what you have into something cool and usable, less about restoring real cars into trailer queens.

11. belair

belair

Love the color in the top picture-more blue than green. Is that just a result of lighting and computer screen? The engine and firewall are epic. But I am with van Dyke on the look. People get all squishy about some old custom that gets found and is somehow above being called ugly just because it survived. But if every car or comment n the HAMB was like every other car or comment on the HAMB, it wouldn't be the HAMB. So vive la difference, have fun, and smoke the tires.

12. billylo

billylo

[​IMG]

But whether or not you're digging the car or not, you are doing a good job taking pictures and telling the story! Keep them coming!

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, I've been experimenting with lighting a bit. The lead photo of this thread was taken in the dark - lit with only a flashlight.

This shot was taken with the studio lights on and reflects the color true to life the most accurately:

[​IMG]

belair likes this.
  14. I still can believe that with all the people involved in this car that no one had the fore sight to mock the thing up before doing stuff like painting it and chroming the firewall. Seems ludicrous to me.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's actually really, really common. Unless the car is being built by one guy and the buck stops with him, stuff like this happens pretty regularly. It's really hard for a lot of different builders (sometimes artists) to be on the same page throughout the entire process.

The firewall is a big one though obviously... But I think it's gonna work out fine.

Also, keep in mind that much of this car is already assembled. Keith is really handling the stuff that got left behind in a way...

16. catdad49

catdad49

Did I say that this thing was "Bitchin'" (Head nodding YES). The shot looking down looks like a model and it's an awesome image. I don't think I could hold the camera still, I'd be too excited. Let's see did I measure that right....better check again....what was that......oh heck, nothing....what was that measurement again and on and on. I know it has to be done, but I don't know if I'd have the stones. The HAMB rules!

Texascash likes this.
  17. cracker head

cracker head

Ryan, There is more to the story in the start of the rebuild and how it all transpired. Hopefully pictures will get posted. I dig the car, and glad it was saved. I hoped I don't get sued by saying this.....

18. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Ok just clarify I don't have a problem with being an elitist. So I hope I didn't offend anyone with that statement. Im too poor to be an elitist in the sense though my opinions are very much elitist at times. I have no bite after the bark at this very time. What I meant was as you have stated not holding it against anyone for their actions. Hand shake grab a beer and lets get back to more great builds.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I realize there is drama. It's not mine and it is what it is... As such, I'm going to keep this thread featured on the stuff going down in our shop.

Clean as a whistle!

cracker head likes this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No sweat from me man!

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You should try driving a car with a mechanical fan! You don't know what you are missing!!! :)

22. Texascash

Texascash
    from Texas

It's misleading to say the car was never mocked up, because it was.....many, many, many times along the way. BUT, as anybody who builds these old things knows, things change along the way, issues arise, and modifications often have to be made up until the very end to get to the desired end result----- which is very often different than when the build was started.

23. I'm just watching from the sidelines, keeping my opinions
    inside of my fingertips.

Diggin' how you are documenting it though.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  24. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

That's pretty funny.

The coupe looks cool and I'm glad the updates are hidden.

25. BAD ASS!!!! cant wait to see it at GNRS

26. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

this CAR is NET ++++++ GOOD +++ JOB ++++++++++++++++++

27. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Ryan, How did they mount that linkage block to the bell housing? And where did they get the block from?

28. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

You can't please everyone in world, Will see it at the G.N.R,S. Just be happy.

29. louisb

louisb

It's a cool car, that's all that is important to me.

--louis

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Just about done drilling holes in the firewall... Fuel line is done.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

volvobrynk, texkbc, 509garyd and 3 others like this.