Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A frames ?????

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sickiee32, Dec 11, 2015.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

aaaaah ...... like reading the HAMB of the "old-days" ...kicking,slapping,poking and opinions galore.

Now.... back to my shop of home-built chassis and Hot Rods.

2. Boling Brothers does good work and can build frames capable of exceeding 100 MPH.
    It's just like SoCal, but CentCal instead.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I can say from personal experience that having a rod that is a bit too low leads to unplanned repairs to oil pans, trans pans and other parts that find man hole covers, speed bumps and 4x4 blocks of wood that fell off the flat bed semi truck and laid in the middle of the freeway only to in my case catch my right running board at 70 mph. The oil pan was on my T bucket and I took it out on a speed bump at the college I was going to in Waco. I've been pulled over for scrub line violations as often as anyone on here too, but that doesn't make it right that I had pieces hanging down far too low. I've also been hung up on parking lot entrance ways and had to tell my wife to get out of the truck so I could get unstuck and that went over like a fart in church.
    As far as the "32" frame someone used to make just the firewall forward section of a 32 frame and sell it and that would work just the way you want to have the frame Z'd at the firewall and a tube frame running the rest of the way back with a kick over the rear axle. I'm not a big fan of the several inches hanging below the frame rail at the firewall look though but the 32 front section running right up so the bottom of the frame is dead even with the bottom of the coupe body shell works for me.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well said.

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  5. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

What about a Speedway Tribute T frame? Isn't that the super low one? Just put a channel coupe on that, you would probably have to extend some stuff to support the body, but it's a 'real' company.

6. 55willys

55willys

I like to avoid Speedway China's oldest speed shop. I guess that's all I need to say.

pecker head, sickiee32 and ol'stinky like this.
  7. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

no speedway please !!

8. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

Anyone ever have Boling brothers build them a frame ???

9. glrbird

glrbird

10. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

I'm missing something! You live in So Cal and want a So Cal like frame. Why no go to So-Cal?

11. I am not going to tout my work because I don't have to. you called me backyard and that suits me just fine, I prefer shade tree but back yard will do.

I will give you this, you have effectively bad mouthed at least 40 people that I can think of just off the top of my head just because you have decided to wear your sphincter for a hat. I will be sure to not respond to any more of your threads or posts.

Sorry that I don't live up to your standards.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that is because he wants what most of us view as a rat rod frame but wants it built to a high standard and not with the level of workmanship we normally see in rat rod row at events.

I'd say that the skill and knowledge of the builder has a lot more to do with the quality of the product rather than if he works out of a fancy shop with a big sign out front and gets mentioned on the net and in rod rags often.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Would you prefer a frame built in the front yard?

cretin and flatheadpete like this.
  14. How about a "side yard" frame; in olden days I used to have my stick welder in the basement (where there was 220) and run the leads up and out the window and build stuff next to the house.

cretin likes this.
  15. Why don't you just contact them off of their website? Bolingbrothers.com. Riley Automotive is another but he's out of Colorado, so there's shipping cost involved. I'm sure they'd answer your questions since we're unqualified to even have a conversation with you.;):rolleyes:

16. Been to their facility and have talked with Derek about frames. Good guy.
    Built one for mctim64, an A frame for a Yblock and for his new T roadster.

They are built right in the center of a covered building with a concrete floor, but with a welder powered by hamsters in a cage.

17. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Thanks to those who mentioned us in this thread, I don't get on here much anymore, seems I'm due to make some updates! We made several frames in the typical z'd fashion and they work well, but they always bothered me because they look like someone could make them in their garage, and they are easy to copy, not that there is anything wrong with that, but I just wanted to offer something a little more factory looking.

So we started having the rails mandrel bent. This makes for no welds on the rails. It works out really well and looks nice too! We offer them with our adjustable rear perch or with coil over mounts. They have a 8 inch kick up in the rear and about a 4 inch sweep in the front and are fully tig welded. There is a lot of adjustment and we just didn't see the need for more of a kick up in the rear. I included a couple pics of the frame and a roadster we built that is running one.

We work with s shipping co that gets us pretty good rates.

they start at $1200 for a perimeter, we can do a full roller as well.

bob@midwest-fabrication or 414-455-6164 Thanks!

Attached Files:

hipster, Donald A. Smith, bct and 6 others like this.
  18. Those rails look great Bob.

19. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Like someone else said, this is like the old days. ;)

The OP joined in 2010 and asks the questions and makes the statements he does..... Interesting yet entertaining.

Neal

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Looks better when the doors are open too...

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Frame looks beautiful. How much of a channel on that roadster?

22. Great looking product bobbleed. Cool website.

23. WOW! "sphincter" I had to look that one up, good one!

24. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

Hey bobbleed....do you stretch the frame so you don't have to cut the firewall on a model A ???

25. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

I really do like the look of a stock model A Firewall

26. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr Bleed those look very nice and almost type factory curves .

27. having fun

having fun

Build your own frame!

28. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Which part of this car is non-traditional?

[​IMG]

29. Yea I am supposed to avoid calling someone an ass hat any more. The boss puts up with it because its just the beaner, but he really doesn't appreciate it. ;)

30. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You mean besides looking like a steam punk circus wagon?

I'd give the credit to the rest of Austin speedshop for looking as good as it does

Tuck and Speedy Canuck like this.