Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Unearthing a StAr DeStroyer! 1931 Coupe w/394 olds-

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tuck, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Nice! I've been on the other end putting a new one together. I some how skated out on when it came time to take it down. It must have been an adventure. Now get it back up!

2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Yeah last time I'll take a old booth apart!! (-: I knew it was gonna be a lot of work just didn't realize how much until I was about half way through it!

The junk guy up the road hooked me up with self energizing backing plates for my Buick conversion- stoked on these! Still planning on running the Buick hubs. These came off an early 50's F-3.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445202355.956446.jpg

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was going to do Lincolns on the front of my '39, lately I have been REALLY thinking about F-3's it would sure save some $$.
    So if I want to use self energizing F-3 backing plates and hardware with '39 spindles and '40 hubs and drums, I need '54/'56?? Was '54 the first year for self energizing brakes on F-3s?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Outback and Tuck like this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

^^^hell yeah! I just got these today.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445209595.428420.jpg
    1960 truck for Free.50!

Tuck likes this.
  5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I scored a full set of those plates as well. Fronts and rears. I need to find one more '46-'48 hub to have everything I need..

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445214007.298183.jpg

6. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447458571.096652.jpg

Had @titus drop an a axle for the coupe!

I have a plan for the frame- I'm going to build this car with the same stance as the Dick Rash coupe- zing the frame just behind the firewall so it looks channeled 8" and a slight kick in the rear so the tires don't go above the fender line-

I love this coupe!!!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447458697.891983.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447458729.722287.jpg

7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yep that's a nice ride to go off of Tuck. This is the sort of direction I'm heading on my next build except for red candy and metal flake.

Tuck likes this.
  8. Man, I took a little hiatus from the HAMB, but I've been lurking a little bit more now as I'm getting closer to starting on my '30 coupe. Tuck, it seems like you're the only one building anything; you've got what, 3 threads going!?! Haha. Too cool! This coupe is going to be killer! I can't wait to see more...lot's of inspiration here.

Subscribed!

Oh, and I'm being mildly facetious here...there are a LOT of other cool build threads going on...but I don't think anybody else has 3 going like Tuck. Y'all gotta get to work.

Outback and Tuck like this.
  9. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447807712.100551.jpg

Ordered a reversed eye spring from the local spring shop- need to order the hub adapters so I can run the stock Buick hubs and finish the brake setup! Getting close to having the front together! This thing will be a roller before long... (-;

Outback, kiwijeff, hechtspeed and 5 others like this.
  10. Lookin good, Tuck. A few years ago I was putting a 30s ford together and wanted to run the entire Buick front brake assembly, backing plates, hubs, drums and all. I don't remember who it was selling the adapters to make it all work but I bought it....sold the project before I could put it all together.
    The reason I wanted Buick backing plates, shoes etc etc was the ride I took in a classmate's 63 Buick wildcat convertible one night in 1965...must have been a 4200 lb car and we took it to 100 and hammered the brakes about 5 times in a row. MAN! That barge slowed so fast it was scary and the brakes never faded.
    I think the shoes are 2.5 or 3 inches wide and 12 inches in dia....huge stopping power!

brad2v and Tuck like this.
  11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449187111.149711.jpg

I really have a thing for slotted axles in drag cars- they're everywhere in the little pages if you look for them! I made the plates to fill the ends of the axle solid you can see them in the pic just sitting in the opening- still need to file the slots by hand.

@Rocky @falcongeorge I ordered my adapters from sanfordandsons to adapt the Buick hubs to the ford spindles! Can't wait for them to show up-

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  12. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

That's Wild...

13. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449243421.750290.jpg

Slotted axle Friday (-; I didn't even notice this axle before today- this is one of my favorite 60's hot rods... set back engine- quads- sliced fenders... man... its so cool!

14. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Cool build, thanks for posting the progress. I have lots of family in Minnesota (up north). I like that you are bringing back a local car.

Tuck likes this.
  15. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks @jungle_jalopy ever get this far north look me up-

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449371626.604343.jpg

Got some work done on my axle today- filled the ends with plate using the tig welder and filed them smooth! Got the bottoms of the slots filed- starting to look like something - I think it's gonna look awesome chrome!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449371802.805283.jpg
    Did some horse trading for these valve covers! So stoked on these!! This thing is starting to take shape- engine is really clean inside-
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449371979.161613.jpg

Tuck-

16. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

What happened to finish your truck first?!...can't blame you its a cool build!

17. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I'm working on all my stuff- I just rotate. I obviously have a problem!! Haha-
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449373521.745322.jpg
    Getting the fender brackets and running board brackets sorted to mount them and port my headers through the splash aprons- need make my 2:1's that bolt to my hedders- (-:

Outback, Vic Walter, Tim and 2 others like this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Love it! I was talking to my daughters first grade teacher the other day, and she was saying what a smart kid she is, and kind to others, great at math, stand-out in music yadda, yadda, yadda, but she has a little trouble staying focused and gets bored easily. Cant IMAGINE where she gets THAT from...:rolleyes::p

Outback, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

"Like" just isn't getting it done here, Man that's cool...
    [​IMG]

Vic Walter and mad mikey like this.
  20. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Ha!! That rules! Too many kids are needlessly medicated for stuff like that now days... Nothing wrong with her at all!

Outback likes this.
  21. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have more pics of this I'll post later! This car is so bad ass!

brad2v, falcongeorge and mad mikey like this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think a lot of time its crappy teaching. My kids teacher is great, and she really tries to change things up to keep them interested, but some teachers cant be bothered to hold the smart kids interest, so they recommend drugs instead. Some scary shit going on in our schools...

Atwater Mike, Runnin shine and Tuck like this.
  23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My Wife teaches at Purdue University and we tried to get our daughter in their "premier" pre school that focuses on speech development. She sounds like the Falcon's daughter but has pretty bad ADHD and is super high energy with a speech delay. Her twin brother(he would have went as a wing man) is close to the same but is a great speaker. They were both turned down for being to immature. They are not even three yet. We were like WTF!? Sounds to me like they don't want the hard work of dealing with them, it's exhausting. But trust me my kids are badass, as I bet yours are guys. They said the same stuff about me in school, guess what, I have ADHD and was bored as hell in school unless I was reading a magazine about cool shit. Wyatt done.

loudbang and Tuck like this.
  24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh man, lemme tell you, one thing my kid definitely isn't is speech delayed.:( My wife figures with the mouth on her, and the way she debates, shes gonna be a lawyer...:rolleyes: Sometimes when I am trying to get her to take a nap, and I am getting all the reasons why she figures she doesn't need one, or the "I need to go pee, I need a drink, I need a ___", I think "sweet jesus kid, can you give it a freakin rest already"...:p

Runnin shine likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

She is SUPER good at art, and really loves it. A while ago, I was teaching her how to make a symmetrical shape with construction paper by folding the paper in half and drawing one side of the shape, then cutting it out on the fold.
    Today, we were making Christmas decorations out of construction paper. She says "Daddy, I want to make some snowmen" grabs four pieces of white construction paper, folds them in half, tucks the other three inside the first one, draws half a snowman on the top sheet and cuts out four perfectly matched snowmen!
    man, if something really interests them, they sure don't miss much!

26. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449379626.415237.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449379660.113975.jpg

I could go off on the topic of education and schools but I'll hold off- (-; I'm doing my part to improve it.

Here's a couple more pics (-; trying not to stray too far off topic :p

Outback, Vic Walter, Tim and 8 others like this.
  27. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Great Story.....will look forward to the progress on your new '31 Coupe build.....

28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449974897.732664.jpg

got the hub adapters from @sanfordsotherson ... two things I noticed right off the bat... these things are sent well packaged... and two they're very well made! Spindles are in the freezer. :)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449974922.813124.jpg
    Making batwings and hairpins from scratch. I went to buy some 7/8" DOM today and they were out. Need to head to the cities next Sat I guess to get it. Used old model a bones and cut the heads off and will tig the wings on.

I need to make a jig to bend the tubing around- plan on making these for the rear too.

Vic Walter likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto on the quality and especially the packaging, very professional, I was very pleased.

30. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Have you got a chance to install yours @falcongeorge ? I hope to do mine this coming week- working on my final project for my educational psychology class and my wife has Air Force this weekend so no go on any major cutting and grinding with Maple in the shop (-;

maple and I went to the steel yard and stocked up on consumables- I also got a piece of solid stock to bend my own steering hoop- need to make a jig for this too.

Anyone have any stock spring shackles for a model a they would part with? Hoping to get the spring from the spring shop soon for this and my roadster- want both this and my roadster front ends roughed in and together!

I think the fabrication of parts is my favorite part of building.

Oh and id just like to say that @C9 you are missed... And I'm so thankful that the hamb has recorded even a sliver of the knowledge you had. Still finding old threads and learning from you.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449977757.821818.jpg