Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects photos of Master cylinders on the firewall

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by m.ralph, Dec 4, 2015.

1. m.ralph

m.ralph

I would like to see some photos of Master cylinders brake & clutch on firewalls. Especially on 1928 thru 1932 Fords. On my newest project (1932 Ford Roadster), I'm thinking of mounting mine there instead of under the floor like I normally mount them. Please show some close-up photos. Thanks m.ralph

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

FWIW, I think the first common source was the '52 Ford pedal and cylinder, which became pretty popular.
    These were usually used in pairs with the common speedshop slave cylinder for a '39 trans clutch arm.
    A few years later the circa 1960 Chevy truck combination clutch/brake cylinder paired with a common aftermarket pedal assembly pulled ahead in the popularity poll.

3. May I ask why?
    They all look like shit there....

da34guy and my2nd40 like this.
  4. cedf679d993799f2590054dff46d6b39.jpg Like Bruce said,the 52-54 Ford used a swing brake and clutch set up,easy to adapt. HRP

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Maybe so, but they are very traditional and you don't have to deal with inline valves, filling thru a floorboard, or working around exhaust, bellhousing, or frame clearance.

I have a 55 Chevy hanging clutch pedal assy & MC on my 28 PU. It works and fits good. I'm putting an Ansen pedal assy with the 60 Chevy cylinder on the 32 Coupe I'm working on. FWIW, I have used an underfloor on a 29 Coupe and for the reasons listed above, it was/is a pain to deal with.

grumpy.o.b likes this.
  6. Idk, I think this looks pretty good?.. \'32 with a firewall master.jpg

-Brent-, hipster and Pewsplace like this.
  7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

All depends on era too , can't say it's 57 period correct and have a 60 chev master right there in plain sight

8. m.ralph

m.ralph

Thanks all for the comments. Corn Fed , I agree with you about all the problems with the master cylinder down under the floor. Primeisnotacrime, could you send another photo of the m/c showing more of the firewall. By the way it looks good. Thanks m.ralph

9. That's not my car, it was one I stole off the net. The car is based out of the U.K. soo I'm not sure if he's a hamber or not, if he is, it would be a good time to speak up.

10. Maybe @Corn Fed could supply a few pics of his setup?.

11. birdman1

birdman1

hell, make it :period correct" and go back to the mechanical brakes!!
    do your self and everyone else a favor and mount a DUAL master cylinder. safety is more important than looks to me.

12. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Here's the only pics I have handy showing the 55 Chev cylinder and pedal assembly:

Otis 2.JPG 3.JPG

scotty t likes this.
  13. Here is what I used back in the 60's/early70's on a 32 five window build. It was an aftermarket I believe Ansen was the mfg. It was clutch and brake and I think it is the same one used on the graffiti 32.
    \ 32-5window_0004.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Ansen , works great brass bushing on the shaft . Good stuff , only issue is single style MC , not the best that better stuff is available now . Brakes need to be better than go fast goodies for me .

15. m.ralph

m.ralph

that is one of the bad things about this type of m/c, is that its a single reservoir unit. Anyone make an under the dash style with dual reservior?

16. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

There are so many things traditional cars use that are not as safe as what is currently available, where do you draw the line? drum vs disk brakes, lap vs shoulder belt, solid vs collapsible steering column, incandescent vs LED taillights, bias vs radial tires, gas tanks mounted inside the cab vs outside.......the list goes on and on. Ya do what ya feel comfortable with.

17. maicoman

maicoman

I am getting ready to hang a double swinging pedal from a 70s camaro onto my 30A firewall.I am going to reverse mount the brake master so its inside & the engine side of the firewall still look nice & clean.

18. We all have our opinions, but I totally disagree. I like to see mechanical items(hydraulic) on a hot rod. Hiding a master cylinder is like hiding a carburetor....why?
    My 32 had the master on the firewall when I built it back in the 70s and I liked it there. It has it under the floor now and its hard to get to and the floor pedal causes problems of their own with air leaks, carpet/mat intereference. Its going back on the firewall when I rebuild it.

da34guy likes this.
  19. Not the best pictures; but here is an underdash master cylinder/pedal assy I built for a friend's '29.
    Looked at the aftermarket versions; but they put the pedal forward of the cylinder, which wasn't suitable in this case. Built this assy with master forward of the pedal which worked out well (and just under the old gas cap for service).
    IMG_2924.jpg IMG_2185 copy.jpg

20. cerial

cerial
    from Michigan

Just go 90 degrees like the so cal bellyboys did in late 60s. Remote resivors are the only thing visable. You may be able to fit a small booster under there also.

Safety over speed.
    I bought my 67 power wagon to correctly restore solely on the fact it is the first of only 2 years to have dual master.

If you want the look of a original you may be able to remove the internals and use the original as a resivior depending on the design.
    Nice to keep giving the judges something to look for.

21. Not necessarily, sometimes mechanical components look like they belong. Unless you were referring to a "modern" dual master, then I would agree.
    chrome master.JPG

scotty t likes this.
  22. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Here are two of the high end units available from Moal's and Pinkees. One fills from the inside' which I don't care for, but the other Moal's mounts the M/C on the firewall.
    01-big.jpg
    Moal offers these super nice pedals for under dash mounting with master cylinders on the firewall. Paint them black and they will look correct.

timthumb.php.jpg
    Pinkees also offers this complete unit.

hipster likes this.
  23. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

Kugel has a nice assembly. I am using one on my 1952 Plymouth Suburban, both clutch and power brakes hidden under the dash.

Jan in Ojai, CA

24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used a 1961 Ford Econoline swinging pedal unit, under dash bracket assy. with hyd.clutch & brake cyls.
    Made my own slave cyl. mounting bracket on bell housing.
    Working great for 300,000 miles so far!!

26. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

With the MCs up under the dash, how do you get access to them for maintenance?

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

How are those of you who run a firewall mount bracing it all? I see some bracing in the form of a thicker pad welded/bolted to the firewall as a base but are any of you running a forward brace to the dash like many fatter cars do?

28. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have a large plate bolted to the back of the firewall that helps support the MC end. The rear end of the pedal assembly bolts to the lower edge of the dash. The dash ('31 Cadillac) is made from darn thick material and the lower lip actually rolls upward so it is very stout. If it wasn't already heavy, I probably would have put a piece of .5" x .5" tubing along the bottom to give extra support.

29. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

On my Plymouth the center instrument cluster and the radio delete panels come out and I reach in.

Jan

David Gersic likes this.
  30. BINGO! That is just what I was referring to.......Thanks for making this clear.