Register now to get rid of these ads!

E Z steer: my bad experience

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adventurer, Jun 1, 2011.

1. FWIW, Borgeson now offers brand new Saginaw side steer boxes with 4 variations depending on Pitman arm orientation. (Borgeson bought the Saginaw steering mfg and are now manufacturing brand new Saginaw boxes.)

Haven't had a chance to get mine in the car yet, been too busy working on my GTX, instead. Hopefully, it'll get done before springtime.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/Saginaw_SideSteer_Gear-p-1753.html

2. Oh well, the Borgeson box won't quite clear the starter

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  3. 1pickup

1pickup

rule #27: If they have to name their product "EZ", it isn't.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

1975, give or take a year then to Heartland foods for a couple-three....:D...We used to run into each other on the way to a show..

Attached Files:

5. Bob Woods

Bob Woods

New to Model A 1929 Ford. I want to replace the steering column with a tilt wheel column. question; does the steering column shaft come out of the steering box are is it cast together? Also, I have been reading about steering boxes an would like to know what kind of box to use. I am leaving the truck stock except for the steering column. I would like to keep the same stock configuration of the steering box.
    Thank you

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob, you should start a new thread with your question, and also do an introduction. It's one of the rules.
    HAMB rules are in link below...
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

town sedan likes this.
  7. town sedan

town sedan

Bob you might look into modifying an F1 truck box for your Model A.
    -Dave

8. What a horrid product from an engineering POV... how many did they actually sell of those??? I wonder how people sleep at night sometimes.

9. Andy

Andy

I wonder if anybody has tried to use early GM truck steering boxes. They used the recirculating ball design way back in the 40’s. That is the same design as the Vega. I saw one in a scrap yard recently and it still turned perfectly smooth. They were side steer and the shaft on top like the F100.

10. What years, Andy?

11. Andy

Andy

I don’t know. Should be easy to find out. I think late 40’s thru late 50’s?
    They should work a hell of a lot better than the Ford roller design.

12. Bob, I would use the F100 box as modified by Randy Gross, https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257290&highlight=steering, it looks stock except to a restorer. Check out comments in the fordbarn.com archives. Forget the tilt column. Put your general location in your profile (you never can tell when it will pay off) and welcome to HAMB.

Charlie Stephens

13. It actually isn't one of the rules:
    4. While we don't require "introductions," some members do appreciate them so it might be a good idea for you to do one here. Just introduce yourself and let folks know what you are all about.

harpo1313 and KJSR like this.
  14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Welcome Bob , those cabs are a little tough to get into eh? I worked my seat a tad to get some room .

15. pitman

pitman

Thanks Bob, for reviving this thread.
    1968 I began building, and have installed r&p on many diff axles.
    Few clearance issues, good road feel - which was best byproduct.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  16. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Wow EZ steer in the rear I have a f 1 on my 32 steering column comes in on bottom F100 the top I had both to pick from and the f1 helped with my clearance problems

17. Bob Woods

Bob Woods

Well, I guess I messed up my first attempt asking a question on this forum.
    My name is Bob Woods I own a 1929 Ford Model A Pickup Truck. This will be my first project and I will have plenty of questions I'm sure. I live in Ohio and have been retired for several years. My truck runs and drives good there are a few items I am going to address to make the overall look better. I am 6'2" tall and I am installing a new steering column and had asked a question about the steering gearbox. For those of you that answered the question "THANK YOU"

18. Welcome to the HAMB!
    That truck is sweet!