Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Steel or glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackanblue, Dec 7, 2015.

1. blackanblue

blackanblue

Ok I think I know the answer here but gotta ask. So my 52 gmc is mobile and on the road with an ot frame all gmc all steel lots of dents and some rust issuses so new 350, wiring gauges most rust problems have been addressed except the rear fenders so the issue is I have a new set of glass fenders so do I spend hours and hours fixing the fenders, buy repop fenders for stupid money,or go the easy way and use the glass.

2. zjerry

zjerry

I used Glass fenders on the front & rear of my 1940 Chevy..

3. squirrel

squirrel

how much money is your time worth? do you like doing bodywork? do you care about having an old truck that's all steel? are you worried folks will laugh at your 'glass fenders?

Model T1 likes this.
  4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I've heard that repo steel doesn't fit too well from many people. Sometimes the glass ones are made from the inside of the original fender and comes out a little small. Just what I've been told by others. No personal experience. Fix the old ones if they are in good enough shape and you have the skills. My 2cts

5. blackanblue

blackanblue

Hate bodywork squirrel and the laffers can kiss my azz.

fairlane 63 likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

sounds like an easy decision, then!

7. blackanblue

blackanblue

Dino I can fix um I am just trying to talk myself out of it.

8. Sounds like your instinct is correct about knowing the answer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hell, if you HAVE the 'glass fenders, polish your skills and fit 'em. Primer them, block sand the truck, seal and primer it.
    Now the truck looks good enough to drive.
    Strip the paint off the steel fenders, read some tutorials/builds on here, and attack the easiest part if the fender first. Take your time.
    When they're perfect, switch 'em. The 'glass fenders'll sell to the guy that's been admirin' 'em all winter!

hugh m and Model T1 like this.
  10. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Can't blame you. If you don't want to, don't. Like squirrel said it's an easy decision then. Good luck with it.

11. squirrel

squirrel

first car I built was this 39 chevy

http://www.hotrod.com/features/automobilia/1310-jay-allen-trophy-garage/

I put glass fenders and boards on it, because I was not real good at bodywork and had more money than time back then. I sold the car to Jay in 1995. It finally ended up in a magazine...I was pleasantly surprised to see it there! I doubt many people even notice that it has fake fenders.

12. blackanblue

blackanblue

I got glass rear fenders on my 31 chevy been looking forever for steel,if I give up somebody will show up with a truckload.

13. blackanblue

blackanblue

Thanks just needed somebody to sway me.

14. Model T1

Model T1

That right there is a great answer.

Atwater Mike and pitman like this.
  15. blackanblue

blackanblue

Got more time than money,are they

16. blackanblue

blackanblue

17. blackanblue

blackanblue

Ok thanks everyone glass for now steel for good.

Model T1 likes this.
  18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks, Model T1. And... 'Good Hunting', Blackanblue!

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

glass sounds like the answer - food for thought=saw on a rerun of My Classic Car a advertising segment that showed that fiberglass can be chrome plated - think was done by Paul's chrome plating -you could chrome the fenders, paint most only leaving a simulated chrome strip and really have people scratching their head.

20. Tony

Tony

I have glass rear fenders and running boards on my 52 Chevy truck.
    In 50k miles and 8 years, i dont think i've ever given a thought to them being glass, and honestly cant remember anyone ever mentioning what they were made from.
    If ya got em just use them.
    Its not gonna make a difference when you're behind the wheel, that i can asure you of.

Tony

21. blackanblue

blackanblue

Thanks Tony I think that's where im going for now.

22. cometman98006

cometman98006

My '41 chevy pickup has glass rear fenders mainly to fit wider tires on it. I had repairable steel ones but the glass can't be detected unless you get down and feel them underneath. They are also much less vulnerable to paint stars from rocks hitting the underneath.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My favorite was the guy on here worrying about whether glass parts were "traditional" for his Willys gasser...:confused: sometimes when I read some of the shit on here, I feel like I've stepped through Alices looking glass...:rolleyes:

24. I've had cars with glass fenders and have had glass cars,who cares if your happy with the decision you make you are the only one that matters.

I remember a group of us were stopped at a gas station when a guy walks up and ask me if the roadster I was driving was glass or steel,I ask him what does it matter but me trying to be polite I told him it was glass, his reply was "I wouldn't have a glass hot rod"...I ask him where is his steel one?

"Oh, I don't have one,I just stopped to look at the cars." and he turned around and got in his Corvette.

As he left I got to thinking how ironic. o_O HRP

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

One more vote for glass. I love metal working but I'll take glass body work over metal any day