Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HAMB inspired spring eye reversing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T Hudson, Dec 6, 2015.

1. A big thanks to the HAMB tech weeks and Tuck's truck build thread for the inspiration to make me try this. I've been collecting parts to put together a traditional styled Model T rpu on a Model A chassis. Today reversing the spring eyes on both front and rear was the project. Doing the front spring was easy, I use to re-arch springs in the alignment shop in my early 20's. Seeing Tuck do the Model T spring on his truck gave me the stones try it myself.
    Starting to straighten the rear leaf, notice the outline on the plywood.
    [​IMG]

Using the hydraulic press to coax it in to moving. Don't push a bunch at once, little by little.
    [​IMG]

Did you know a Model A rear spring all flattened is 52" long?
    [​IMG]

Eyes reversed and back on the line. It took about 2 hours.
    [​IMG]
    The leaves still need some massaging but this step being done feels huge.
    [​IMG]

2. Nice job, thanks for posting the pics.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 117harv

117harv

Outstanding, thanks for taking the time to document and share.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. brady1929

brady1929

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for post

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One issue with reversing main leafs is they will be shorter eye to eye. The greater the arch, the shorter the distance.

7. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I'm going to be reversing some as well. What is your process for getting the spring pack apart? I would like to keep all my fingers and although I'm not the prettiest, I don't really want a big scar on my face.

8. alchemy

alchemy

Actually they are wider when reversed (eyes upward) if the arch is the same. I never thought about this concept until there was an article in RnC a few years ago (I miss RnC).

9. Model A springs can pack a huge wallop of energy. I found the best is to start by clamping them tight using multiple heavy C clamps. Then loosen the center bolt, making sure the clamps are secure. Have a length of all thread and replace the center bolt with the all thread. Then you just sea-saw loosening the C clamps and all thread bits at a time, slowly, making sure the C clamps are secure as you loosen the all thread. Eventually, you will get it loose enough to tap the upper leafs to the side. That will release more energy. Just work slowly and carefully and the job will get done. Some folks wrap a length of chain around the spring as a backup to keep leafs from flying, but the chain can get in the way, making the job less safe, imho. I have pulled a number of A rear springs apart over many years and one came loose on me when it was mostly apart. It was still a scary amount of energy. Leaves were sent flying and one caught my shin, bruised but thankfully not broken. Use care.

10. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Correct ^^^^
    The eyes are perpendicular to the leaf.
    so when they are on the outside of an arch it is wider between the eyes

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

And may I add......NOT CHEAP CLAMPS! I had a clamp break under pressure one time.....not pretty.

12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alchemy and Kerrynzl, you're correct. Umm, mature adult moment! :oops: I forgot that the Model A spring I had reversed...was bought new already reversed and stock length. And when I read that same R&C article, I knew why it was shorter. :)

13. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Thanks @Russ B, sounds pretty straight forward

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

Nice Job! Did you keep all the leafs in the stack and what is the eye to eye dimension now?

15. The c-clamp is what I did too.

All the leafs are back in right now. Going to re-read a little further into the Bishop/Tardel book and go from there.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

thanks good post. I gotta do this soon.