Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How Are You Guys Selling Your Parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrGasser, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Quit going to swap meets a few years ago, I've had some luck selling on C/L but as has been said a lot of scammers, tire kickers, and low ballers there. Mostly sell by word of mouth. Tell one of the local gear heads I'm thinking of getting rid of something and sooner or later someone shows up wanting it.

2. das858

das858

I use craigslist, swapmeets, H.A.M.B. classified. Have had really good luck with craigslist. Will not sell on ebay again, occasionally will buy there.

3. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Don- usually there is a "XYZ county garage sale" or "man cave" page and its' like a mini forum. sometimes you have to 'join' that page, but its' no big deal. hope this helps;)

4. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

You can start by joining my vintage Engines and Parts group by hitting the link on the bottom of my reply. I also have a group started for the Chevy guys as well https://www.facebook.com/groups/957627440915813/ It doesn't have a lot of members yet probably because I mostly post to my Vintage Engines group and my Deuce's and 55's group.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Wow, I've had some interviews that didn't go as well as I'd have liked, but they didn't try to kill me. I had one asshole who wanted to borrow my pen for the application, I wanted to beat him, briefly.

6. I use both and have good luck!

7. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Just sent my join request!

8. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I try and use M.O. on every purchase and sale. However you can not do that with E-Bay because they have made it a condition of sale that you have to use Pay Pal. Guess who owns Pay Pal? In addition they now include the shipping costs in the sale total and they get their cut of that also. E-Bay GREED has fucked up that sales avenue.

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  9. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

You don't HAVE to use paypal for ebay purchases. The seller in most cases has to accept paypal, but buyers can use other forms of payment as well.

10. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My thoughts exactly. If I was in something to make a profit I sure as heck wouldn't be messin' with old cars!! :confused:

bct and 41 C28 like this.
  11. pumpman

pumpman

I don't sell much, but should. I do buy some gas and oil stuff on epay but that's about it. I have had good luck here selling things but they are small, not big money and easy to ship. Never have done a thing on Craigslist just don't go there for some reason, maybe because of some of that weird shit I've heard about or read. I'm thinking about trying the Kalamazoo swap meet this year, I have a lot of big stuff I love to get rid of so we'll see.

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Buying: I've picked up a few needed parts from ebay, Craigslist and HAMB. The HAMB classifieds lately are reflecting prices that are higher than ebay in many cases and there's a LOT more pro sellers that never contribute to the HAMB message board and only sell parts (pet peeve). Same old ads bumped for months on end with ridiculous prices(49-51 Merc seller, 5k Deuce frames, etc.).

Selling; Sold a few HAMB specific extra parts I had. Priced them right and they sold quick. Ebay; Only small parts that can fit in a set fee box as shipping is crazy. Craigslist; sold a few big, heavy parts locally but hate it as there's a lot of lowball flippers, flakes, playing phone tag and then the doom of a stranger coming by your house. I always have the parts in the yard with the garage door closed when someones coming over..

13. 562roadster

562roadster

Instagram and facebook have been a good source. Craiglist has been sketchy

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think it took me a year or so before I ever posted anything on the HAMB classifieds, figured I had to do something to earn that right, how people list stuff and never add to any threads. Bob

15. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I don't know how your face book is configured but mine has a " groups" listing on the left margin. Click on that and you can join any number of pages. Sometimes you need to go to the bottom and click " additional groups" to get them to come up. You can even start your own group. good luck.

16. Some of the local police depts. here in the metro have set up meeting places for people selling on CL lots of crime here. I actually take my stuff down to one of the local bike shops if I don't know who is coming after it.

17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mostly Ebay and very few issues or by word of mouth -guys call for 40 pts. No Craigslist-too many weirdos and don't want people coming to my home. Also give away parts to guys who can use them-have done it quite a few times here on the Hamb. Rare items seem to do better on Ebay. Seem to always lose $$ on the shipping issue-and hate the pack/ship part. My neighbor and I used to go to swap meets. We would take a lot of trifive stuff we didn't use or need. We laid it all out and about 10 or 11 put free on everything that didn't sell and give it all away.

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I was just thinking this exact kind of thing. Just don't even mention home address, we'll do our exchange at a neutral, hopefully safe location. Cop shop parking lot, bank lobby, etc. Don't like it, tough! Thanks for the heads up. I guess.

19. I use Pay Pal for everything. I can go with my PP credit card, but lately have been using it through my debit card or checking account.

20. NO ONE comes to my shop, or home from a CL ad!

I don't care how awkward, or inconvenient the item I have for sale is to load up, I load it up and we meet somewhere public, and well lit.

I always assume that the other person I am meeting is going to be prepared to defend themselves and I arrive ready to do the same.

I haven't had any issues yet, and hope I never do.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Truck64 likes this.
  21. Guess it's my turn!
    60's Local newspaper.
    '70s-'80s-'90s Hemmings
    '00s- present, HAMB, Ford Barn, CL.
    Never burnt here or Barn, or even CL.
    Once in a great while somebody "forgets" to pay but
    first timers I always get the $ before sending.
    For CL, only telephone calls.
    Besdes, I don't text, I type slow, and I am not
    ever going to facebook! Also, no pay-pal % deal sales for me.
    I'm not getting rich, why should I help other people!
    I've sold a lot of non-auto stuff on CL, Like guitars,
    gym equipment, toys, excess lumber, etc. etc.
    Hardly any problems, never met a wierdo!,
    but plenty of just nice people.
    If they can't call, they really don't want it.
    Besdes, I don't text, I type slow, and I am not
    ever going to facebook!
    Also many off topic cars, with only phone calls.
    Mostly CL is local sale and local buy.
    Only done 2 swap meets in about 50 years.
    Did good but don't like lugging a pile of stuff home,
    figuring out what it's worth, lugging it all to the swap meet, then
    selling it off on the last day because I don't want to lug it all back.
    I am trying to specialize in old Ford stuff, so here and the Barn
    are the best, and many guys are on both.
    Only thing here is, if I talk to somebody, it turns into
    a 2 hour talk fest! There is a lot of common ground here and the Barn!
    I've been here and the Barn since 2010, and I'm staying!
    Good luck to all!!

Donald A. Smith and pitman like this.

22. Agree^^^^^^^^^ buying= what ever works out.....PP is somewhat good for that situation in some instances,but depends what the seller wants.....
    Selling= I'de rather take a postal money order any day of the week....
    And NO ONE come's to the house to pick up anything-Period!
    I have a meeting spot,and it's always= "call me when your 15 minutes away deal.......
    Well lit and camera's...........You never know these day's,but so far/so good.....
    Always get an offer at the deal. When contacted by a buyer, it's made perfectly clear of the price up front,or no dice...... Be careful out there boys!

23. town sedan

town sedan

I try to only buy what I think I'll need. Even if it takes several years to get around to using it. Bought a few things off CL, but have found that there are some flaky sellers there too. Don't like auctions (ebay). Name a price and if it sounds fair to me I'll buy. That said, the auction sites seem to be about the only place to find some things. When I sell it's only when I'm sure I can get less than I paid -LOL!
    -Dave

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    41 C28 likes this.
  24. mike bowling

mike bowling

CL is a good place to advertise if you want a bunch of idiots coming to your house on YOUR time off and insulting you by offering you half the asking price ("Come on, dude, I brought a trailer and everything!"), not having a clue what you're selling ("Oh, shit, man,I thought it was a REBUILT motor for $300.!), and having your house (and worse, garage) scoped out for a later visit when you're not home.

I've sold parts and cars on the HAMB, and bought stuff too with NO problems at all. An old guy on Fordbarn burned me on a roadster panel a few years ago, but it was only $125. bucks. I was kind of surprised, but WTF, dirtbags get old too. ( well, a few of them do).

Unlike some, I love the swap meets, and am happy to spend $30. bucks for 6 hours away from home, surrounded by a buffet of car parts, and people who talk the talk, and mostly are as sick as I am. I buy and sell and lose money, but who cares? Half the time I'll get talking to a friend about something, and give the stuff away. Somehow it all seems to go full circle , and you can figure out the "one way" guys pretty quick ( I sold a Model A gas tank to a guy for use in HIS car for a good price- saw it for sale later in his spot marked up 50 bucks! Now I don't sell him squat, and the story's gotten around.)
    It's all about FUN kids, if you ain't havin' fun, take up golf!

HAMB guys doin' their thing at the Candia, NH Swap, 2015
    me, "Patmanta" ,Ronnie "Wheeldog57", and Rob "A-Bones"

Attached Files:

patmanta likes this.
  25. 41 C28

41 C28

Is selling on ebay really that bad? Its been about a year and half since I've sold anything on ebay. I set up at about one swap meet a year to try and clear my inventory. For me swap meets are as much about having a good time and seeing people and if I make a little money that's good too. Thinking maybe of doing Hershey next fall.

26. ken bogren

ken bogren

Some of the local police departments are doing that here too.

27. I dont go to buy anything off craigslist without my 9mm. Been in a few uncomfortable situations before....

H380, patmanta and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  28. blackout78666

blackout78666

Buy from the hamb and ebay. Always make it a priority to pay up. USPS money orders are a pain in the ass because of the 2 hour wait in line at the post office. Craigslist is like a dark cabinet filled with cockroaches. Scammers asking " is the item for sale" " send me all your info and my shipper will pick it up" almost got stung a few weekends ago. Guy stole an ad and pictures off the hamb word for word. But wanted a money order in his wife's name. Nope. Tried selling on the hamb but my stuff ain't moving. Love looking through the classifieds though. You guys have gotten quite a bit of my bread! Much appreciated.

29. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I call craigslist "Homo's list" as it seems that there are guys that look at key words (Hot rod,Camaro,4 speed) and although they do not have any money, just want to come by and visit/talk (scope out your shop) and maybe your 'package':confused:

Also did you ever notice the "men seeking men" is right across from the 'search' box?
    WTF!

30. oldtymehiboy

oldtymehiboy
    from Indiana

I have Sold almost 100 % of my parts here on the Hamb.
    In my humble opinion - This site is by far the best place to do business.
    It is Very Fair to Seller & Buyer a like.
    We are Extremely fortunate to have this site.
    " Thanks to Ryan & his Staff "

Most buyers are Very Knowledgeable.
    Makes selling easier. Especially if You have good quality parts.
    E-bay is a think of the past for me.
    There are a few Good Swap meets left.
    I ( Swap Meet ) almost every year in Pomona at the Roadster Show.
    Finally - the Ford Barn is another excellent place to Buy & Sell.
    Again - just my opinion.
    Good Luck.

Tony Martino likes this.