Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Model A Hot Rod restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1927graham, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Minnesota roll ins are coming to a close for the year, this was in Cleveland, MN. This has been an incredible summer in southern MN., got 5,700 miles on this build, love driving this machine!
    FullSeRender.jpg

2. Any info or pics of the dead perch you made ?

1927graham likes this.
  3. Winter's creeping in here now, I'll be tearing the front end apart, I'll do it then. I drove it the rest of the summer (6,000 miles) and didn't have a problem with it, I was careful though. You can always email me if you wish: [email protected]. Remind me to post it later, I'm an old guy with diminishing memory!

4. Roadsir

Roadsir

Craig, let me know if you need any help when you dig into it.

1927graham likes this.
  5. Thanks Eric, I appreciate your offer!

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

What a bitchin truck! So beautiful, every part of it. This whole build thread may be the best thread I've read on the HAMB. Congrats and such a stunning hot rod!

1927graham likes this.
  7. Thank you for the kind words, I really like driving this car, I've had a great year, at 70 years old, driving this hotrod takes me back to the early 60's, a really great time in my life!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    dana barlow, ABONES and Blues4U like this.
  8. Found this video that has a Model A truck very similar to mine, really like the video!

9. Visited my daughter Kristin and family today in RiverFalls, WI. Put 4 hours on the Model A, beautiful fall day, fun time. Drove to Waterville, MN and topped off with fuel, then drove another 92 miles to River Falls, WI. I got 18.4 MPG on the freeway, through Minneapolis and St. Paul, 70 mph, sure surprised me, that 322 Buick has been the best engine. Got almost 7,000 miles on this car this year.
    11219406_1066384266727838_4424450686531201556_n.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  10. Roadsir

Roadsir

Looking good Craig. Might be a day or two left for cruise this fall.

1927graham likes this.
  11. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

What a great picture !

1927graham likes this.
  12. Had some questions recently about the rear tires and rims. The rims are American Torque Thrusts from Newstalgia (https://www.newstalgiawheel.com/) 7" x 15" with 3.75" backspacing. The radial tires are 235 / 75 R15, 6 1/2" tread width and stand 28" tall. Got rid of the bias plys, the radials handle so much better.
    DSCN9783.JPG

13. yruhot

yruhot

1927graham likes this.
  14. I'm a lucky/grateful old guy, sure hope my grandsons like hot rods, looking for a project now for the other one.

15. yruhot

yruhot

just turned 61 myself and i can relate to your comment about age. you give me hope.great car. you should be proud.

loudbang and 1927graham like this.
  16. yruhot

yruhot

That sucks, so close to enjoying it and two steps backwards. Is that color Washington blue? Looks great especially with the white firewall.

1927graham likes this.
  17. Drove the hot rod over 2 hours today, weather's gonna change one of these days, driving as much as I can, hav'in fun! Probably tear it down in the next few weeks, gett'in her ready for next year!
    Fall 15.jpg

18. I read in the MSRA linechaser that someone found a vietnam vets lighter at the Henderson roll-in.

Just thought I'd mention it / possibly no connection to you???

1927graham likes this.
  19. Thanks Chuck for the thought, I had a really nice lighter and a WAC (Women's Army Corps) stole it from me when I was processing to go overseas, 1967, she wasn't very pretty anyway.

BradinNC, Roadsir and loudbang like this.
  20. The sun is going down and I'm coming into the town of Elysian, MN. from Henderson, MN. my first video with this phone, hey, this is gonna be fun!

21. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Awesome view!

1927graham likes this.
  22. Love the look, the carbs aren't too high and still look good from the side, happy with the visibility.

23. Now in the shop for the winter, last day on the road was Nov. 20, 2015, not bad for Minnesota, put 7,303 miles on this cramped, little hot rod, loved it. A lot of little things to change, nothing major, engine color, better windshield seal, electric fan relay acting up, making a front spring dead perch, etc. I'll stay busy these next 4 months. Had an amazing time this year, drove the car every chance I got, almost too much fun for this 70 year old!!
    Model a.jpg

cretin, bengeltiger, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  24. "Young old guy puts lots of miles on sweet ass hot rod truck - film at 11."

That's the headline I'd much rather see on the evening news. The mainstream media has their priorities all wrong.

Congrats on your successful summer!

bengeltiger and 1927graham like this.
  25. Chuck, you certainly have a way with words, hahaha!

dana barlow likes this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

It's real pity that kids today will never know the joy of driving a Hot Rod you built just for the fun of it.

1947knuck, volvobrynk and 1927graham like this.
  27. The Model A in this thread is going to my grandsons, they're quite young @ 3 and 5 years old, sure hope they like it, gonna build another car so each will have one, at 70 years old I probably won't be around then but, what the hell!
    FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    dana barlow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Good for you I wish I had a grandpop like you when I was a kid.

1947knuck and 1927graham like this.
  29. Me too, when I was growing up, my father told me that building cars/planes etc. was for other people, not for you, that you couldn't do it, well guess what!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    dana barlow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. One of the things that needed attention was the engine color, the navy blue just wasn't gett'in it, pulled everything off the engine and stripped it, the new color is VHT Cast Iron color paint, the picture looks light because of the shop light, gonna like it much better. The pan, motor mounts and pulleys, front axle backing plates, etc. are going to be powder coated gloss black by D & K Powder Coating, North Mankato, MN a brand new facility, highly recommended and great prices. D & K quoted me $350.00 to powder coat a chassis, they have a 40 foot booth, plus smaller ones, they like working with hot rodders, how cool is that!!
    darker.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015