Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Storage Case Ford 9" used as a shipping container???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crusin55, Dec 1, 2015.

1. crusin55

crusin55

Jaz 700-009-01.jpg Anyone ever use one of these 9" Ford storage cases as a shipping container? Is it solid enough to withstand rough house shipping? If so, how did you secure the chunk inside and how did you secure the container so it wouldn't pop open during shipping?

I don't want to make a homemade case. I want to buy one ready to ship my chunk.

Thanks for all input.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  2. Mark T

Mark T

I've never shipped a 9'' chunk but I've read that they can be shipped in a 5 gallon bucket.

turboroadster likes this.
  3. crusin55

crusin55

Yes.....I've seen all kinds of homemade ways to design something to ship. I want something I can purchase that will hold up in shipping with no effort on my part.

4. oldolds

oldolds

I never touched one, but it looks like it will be secured in the case by the way its made. I would bolt the two pieces together and slap a shipping label on it.

5. kma4444

kma4444

Yep, plenty of times. Not sure about that exact brand but every one I've used had provisions built in to hold the chunk in place.

6. kma4444

kma4444

7. indyjps

indyjps

Use that case and a harbor freight ratchet strap, cut off the excess. Wrap wire or duct tape around the ratchet buckle.

8. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

wrap the chunk in plastic, set it in the box, squirt spray foam around it, trim it after it hardens, put the lid on, bolt it, ship it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. crusin55

crusin55

Great idea...........Just ordered one from Schwartz Performance. They build race cars with 9" and have new cases that have been sent from Moser with the 9" used only one time for that purpose. $40.00 with "Free" shipping. Can't beat the price!!! Thanks to all for your input!!!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  10. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I would do something like this and THEN put it in a sturdy cardboard box with some hard padding(more cardboard) in between. Make sure the address(or another label) is also attached to the inner.

ALWAYS assume it will get thrown. Fedex recommends padding to withstand a 3ft drop(the height of their conveyor belts)

11. I actually keep mine in a 5 gallon buckets, the flange just lays on the lip. To get it in there would be a real pain though and you would never get it back out without cutting the bucket.

I shipped one via Gray Hound to Seattle a few years back, I just wrapped it good with a heavy cardboard box and put fragile stickers all over it.

That storage case looks like the hot setup where do you get one?

12. crusin55

crusin55

I got mine from Schwartz Performance....815-206-2230. Ask for Dale (owner)......His shipper (Moser) sends their 9" to him. He sells them for $40.00 which includes shipping.

13. Thanks man, with a couple of those I could jump right into the new century, and have my buckets for other things. ;)

14. nickleone

nickleone

Crusin 55,
    I have been in the shipping business since 1996.
    If the item is not in corrugated you CAN be charged an extra fee
    Standard not in a box fee for UPS/FEDEX.
    Greyhound Package Express can be cheap and you can get to the door delivery if the Greyhound
    terminal is not far from the delivery address.
    Not all Greyhound terminals know that they do to the door delivery.

Nick

15. 40HeavyChevy

40HeavyChevy
    from US

When I worked at a motorcycle dealership, a few racers used to ship their engines in ice chest or coolers. You can probably pick one up for cheap or may have an old one laying around. Just put whatever you want to ship inside along with some packing material, strap the lid shut, and send it on its way. The plastic/foam construction of the cooler handles shipping pretty well.

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Keep us posted how it turns out. I'm curious as to what happens. I've done several with them and had good customer service and good products from them. I will be very surprised if they don't treat you well on this deal. BUT if they don't for some reason I'd like to know. Good luck

17. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

One thing for sure the delivery driver isn't going to be tossing a 9" pumpkin around, those bitches is heavy!

falcongeorge and Donald A. Smith like this.
  18. crusin55

crusin55

9 Inch Shipping Case.JPG
    Got my case today from Schwartz Performance. It's stamped right on it Moser Engineering. These are the cases they ship every day with the Ford 9". It is a great buy at $40.00 with "Free" Shipping. Also, if you order two cases he will give you a $5.00 discount which means you only pay $75.00 for two with "Free" shipping.

Great case for storage as it snaps together and can be stacked. Snap it together put a couple of wraps of nylon shipping tape around it plus a 1" ratchet strap around the middle and it's good to be shipped.

If you need one, now is the time to get one as he doesn't have them available all the time.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  19. squirrel

squirrel

that looks a lot nicer than my old cardboard box with a piece of plywood in the bottom...

20. crusin55

crusin55

Hey Jim........Did you get a chance to look at my other post on Noisy 9" with the yellow compound markings I posted the other day? I know I used to much compound but you can see the pattern real well on the coast side and you can see the pattern not as good on the drive side but you can see it if you look close. Let me know what you think!!!

21. squirrel

squirrel

I was hoping someone else would answer :)

I don't put the compound on that thick, I just brush a thin layer across a couple teeth. So I'm not used to the effects of it squishing between the teeth like that.

22. crusin55

crusin55

Thanks Jim..........Have a great Christmas and New Year.

23. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

I bought one from a junk yard about a year ago, it came inside a heavy plastic bag, milk crate, stuffed inside a cardboard box. The bag is important, you could really piss somebody off if they got that stinking slippery rear end dope all over their truck.

24. crusin55

crusin55

Thanks to everyone for your input. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy Prosperous New Year.

25. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Well, you seem to have the issue solved, but with my two cents, like Oldbill51, I use the plastic crates that milk comes in, not only can you store/ship the pumpkin, but the crate has provisions for two hand holds. One point that remains, is not to get caught by the store owner, where you are stealing the crates from---HA HA.

26. HotRod31

HotRod31

Yeah all the milk crates I ugh...I mean my friends have are labeled property of Dairy Fresh .

27. Yes, that is a great way to ship. Like someone else said, spray foam is the ticket. Bag the piece with a Hefty bag first then spray in the foam. the bag makes removal easier. Damage occurs two ways from the outside or from parts shifting around inside. If your part does not move then you only have to worry about the shipping monkees

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

A router and a one inch wide bit takes care of that neatly...........I've been told. Bob

29. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

That's how they come from Strange engineering

30. crusin55

crusin55

Shipped yesterday in the case pictured. Worked perfect........Unit fits tight inside with no packing. I did put a couple of heavy terry cloth rags in the bottom to soak up any excess oil drippings. I ran a cheapie 1" ratchet strap around the middle, cut off the excess and duck taped the ratchet handle shut. I also ran a couple of rows of nylon banding tape around as a safety precaution. My UPS driver told me he has seen lots of these cases being shipped.

Simple, Fast and Easy!!!!