Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A pickup, my first build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by F-6Garagerat, Sep 11, 2010.

1. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Well, I've put about a thousand + miles on the ol girl so far. Drive it to work all the time, drove it to sins of steel (120 miles round trip) hell I've gone grocery shopping with it. Drove down to Perrysburg Ohio last night to hang out with the Rollin Bones on their first stop on the trip to Bonneville. 70-75 mph steady for almost an hour straight. Overall pretty good road manners. I'll tweak a few things here and there, oil filled shocks rather than the gas shocks that are on it now, new rears spring (stretched too far) but the ride was not to bad. The old Delco 12 volt generator didn't seem too fond of the sustained highway speeds, the bushings/brushes are making some really loud noise now. The Smithys mufflers seem to be quite a bit louder now, which is ok because I always thought they were a bit too quiet anyway. Overall, it's been a hell of a lot of fun and it seems the summer is really going by way too fast this time around.

image.jpg

2. OFT

OFT

Nice to hear it is going good for you! Can you explain on the rear stretched spring (to far).
    Would seem rpm is right up there to be doing 75.
    Earl

3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The rear axle is a 37-41 and the spring is a model A, it got me on the road but and "spring" it had mostly got used up in the stretch.

The rear gear is a 3:54 so the rpm's are not as bad as it would be with a 4:11.

4. Model A rear axle perches are 49-1/2" on center while the '35-'41 eyes are 48", wouldn't the A spring be stretched a little less on the later banjo?

5. chiro

chiro

How did you go about installing the '36 dash? I have one I'm going to put in my '30-'31 Tudor and would like to know how you did yours. Any pics or description of the process would be appreciated.

Your truck is killer, dude.
    Thx,
    Andy

6. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah that was a typo, it's a T spring.

7. Interesting; the "T" rear perches I measured were 48", maybe just a weak spring. By the way, really like your truck and enjoy following your build thread and updates.

8. Just a side note guys on the A spring for anyone reading.. mounting one on a '41 - '48 rear end using @Chris method with Model A perches to put the spring on top.. if you make a 1" spacer between the backing plate flange and the cut off Model A perches it puts the perch eye width the exact same as a Model A rear end. I had my main leaf reversed, and the whole pack went right on like it was there from the beginning. Just a lil tip.

9. Sorry I missed you in Perrysburg this weekend. I didn't roll in until about 10:45.
    Glad to hear the trip went well.

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

See you next weekend at the Gilmore?

11. Maybe...
    This has to be a fully stocked and functioning convenience store in 2 weeks. 1407463980526.jpg

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yikes! Well, hope to see you there. We're going to get there Friday night.

13. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Sweet ride! Truck looks awesome. Its fun being able to put miles on these old rides! Jealous you got to check out the rolling bones cars! (hotrodderhaag) was there and took some videos. SUPER cool cars.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks fellas.

16. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

That works for a spring over arrangement but I'm using the stock spring behind hangers of the 41 axle to keep the thing low.

17. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

That i believe is a 65-66 mustang rear seat

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. ty johnson

ty johnson

Just picked up a 30 cab and did some trading and came up with 2 very useable beds. going to re read your thread. love it.

19. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

found out something today about the f1 steering boxes, there cast out of steel not cast iron !!!! so doing your mod with the flange is spot on !!!! great tip pal

20. mattthompson

mattthompson

Hey there, what colour or shade of primer did you use? Great looking truck.

21. I see it's for sale in the classifieds.
    Hope you find something that suits your needs better.
    I really enjoyed this build!

22. mista

mista
    from Finland

I Hope everything goes as planned and this truck finds new home across the ocean ;)

BTW What is that magazine that this car had picture in?

23. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Hey buddy, well you already know but, I guess this story is about to start a new chapter, for anyone who cares.

My old pickup is on its way to a new home. It just got to be too hard for me to drive with all my medical issues. One thing I absolutely can't stand are guys that have a cool car or cars, and don't drive them. Something I'll never understand.

So, it needed a new home with someone that will drive it and take care of it. It's in good hands. I'll let Alek take it from here as he plans to start a thread of his own.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to the thread and gave it life. It was a lot of fun.

image.jpeg

wedjim, RICH B and Runnin shine like this.
  24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Sorry to see it go but glad you sold it if that makes any sense...

25. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

It was a great story and a great build. Glad to see it is going someplace where it will be appreciated. I'll be looking for the new thread here.

26. Hey Scott,
    Any word on what his plans are for it?

27. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Totally

28. cfmvw

cfmvw

Really enjoyed the buildup and the story that went along with it. You obviously had a lot of fun with it, and it provided a good distraction from your health issues. I hope you get better, and maybe get into another build.

29. Man......hate to see it go! I sure hope you take those funds and put it into something else

30. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yep, I'll be starting a new thread of my own. Soon as this gets here.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

kidcampbell71 likes this.