Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Factory lightweights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ambrosio, Nov 29, 2015.

?
  1. 3

50.0%
  2. 5

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

Hello all!
    I am fortunate enough to be restoring a few lightweights and am in search of photos and/or info on them. Any responses would be appreciated. I am restoring them to as accurate as can be, to when they were on the strip back in the day. The cars are;
    1. The 62 galaxie raced/owned by jim price
    2. The t-bolt from vels ford
    3. The 63 galaxie raced by burl Hawkins
    4. The 63 ply savoy, that had Alcoa presents, down the side
    5. 64 galaxie, with coble and bolland, down the side
    Once again, any info is extremely appreciated
    Dan

Attached Files:

1934coupe likes this.
  2. spiertb

spiertb

Dan; Do you have any pics or info that you would share with us Thunderbolt lovers? Thanks. Sylvanus

3. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

Sylvanus, I'll try to attach some photos, I'm new here and it took me forever just to figure out how to respond, so please bare with me. The owners of this t-bolt, also have the Webster ford car and have the original humpin Henry t-bolt that is also on the list to build for them. Although under a cover, I took a couple pictures of humpin Henry, where at least its doors are visable. Also attached, I hope, are pictures the owners sent me of the vels ford car as it was pulled from a reverb back in the 70's

Attached Files:

Vanness and mgtstumpy like this.
  4. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

Here is the car as raced by vels ford;

Attached Files:

5. uncle buck

uncle buck

Very cool! A whole lot of history there

6. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

Don McCain owned the car;
    It seems as though the cars authenticity is questioned in thunderbolt circles as being the original body, but I'm going off of what I've been told. some say it was crushed, but the pictures, original vin plate and parts have me sure confused on it. Thank you

Attached Files:

7. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

By the way, a few of the original photos I found on this awesome forum while researching

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dan, Jim Price raced (2) different cars in '62, are you restoring the "Brick Red" or brown one, or the white one. I had 1 picture of the white one (wasn't that a lightweight), I gave it to Tom Willford. I thought he passed it on to the owner at that time. It was a color shot, taken at McMinnville, on the return road. Jim won the biggest S/S race I ever saw in '62, (21 cars) 406 & 390 Fords, 409 Chevys, 421 Pontiacs, 413 Plymouths and Dodges. The final was Jim's brown Galaxie, and Potter Bros '61 Starliner. Good luck in your search.

9. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

Marty, this car is white, all that I'm working on right now are lightweights. I know the owner has a photo of it, but I have yet to get it. If you could forward that to me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Hopefully it's a different picture, so I'll have more than one to go off of when I recreate the "graphics" I know the 406 was swapped out early on for a 427 cammer, which it still has in it. The original 406, fortunately came with the car, which we are restoring as well. Here it is today; Thank you

Attached Files:

rjones35, mgtstumpy and stillrunners like this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dan, That was years ago, and I didn't have a scanner and didn't realize the significance of that car. I don't have a copy of the picture, sorry. In your search, I have lately been wondering about another 62 two door sedan, that raced around here. It was pink , ran A/MP in about 1964. The guy's name was, Whitey Thames, I often wondered if that was Jim's white car.

11. dang.......wonder if the Alcoa car was a tip to "ALL" the aluminum stuff the car's were running...?

lawman likes this.
  12. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

I definitely will keep that info and let you know if I run across it

13. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

Amazing how the mopars used all aluminum and ford went the fiberglass way! That savoy has history racing out of New York if anyone has more pictures? This picture, literally could have been taken 60 years ago, but on a race track! Crazy! Thank you

Attached Files:

rjones35 likes this.
  14. rgfloor

rgfloor
    from oh

Could you explain the term "reverb"? Obviously the car took a pretty good hit. Just curious.

15. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

Oops, I better check this "spelling correcting" as I go. It should have said revine, sorry

16. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

Still did it, RAVINE

17. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one crazy set of headers on that '63 Plymouth.

18. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

Ya, short of those, it will be redone identical

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This is Bob Tindle's lightweight 63, would these headers be factory ? Bob Tindle 63 Ply.jpg

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

21. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

all the Mopar lightweights left the factory with the exhaust going out the back and "cutouts" factory installed. I have a picture if you like? Those on the car were really popular to put on though

22. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

23. 64-TBOLT

64-TBOLT

24. Sorry, I can't add any technical details, but I can tell you that Burl Hawkins was a legend in his own time at the Tulsa drag strip in the early 60's. He was hard to beat. That was when the drag strip was in northwest Tulsa, on North Cincinnati Ave, I think. It was an old airport.

25. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

Love those photos, I see the white car was driven by jim price, I've found a couple pictures of burl Hawkins driving the t bolt, I just can't find him in the galaxie. I just spoke with bill doenges that sponsored Hawkins in those cars

26. These 2 belong to a local Hamber and they are the real deal. HRP 12219350_10205240501310974_6728090586826850982_n.jpg

cf0d098a-4fca-4d4b-8bd6-b2cbc822e1ab.jpg

Deuces, mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We were fortunate to have 2 T-bolts in our area. Too bad Jim's was converted to "Match Race" form. Jim Price Thunderbolt.jpg Lil Pete(Madras2).jpg Lil Pete (madras1).jpg

mgtstumpy and curbspeed like this.
  28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

This ad from 1958 shows that Chrysler certainly had a relationship with Alcoa. I would assume they used aluminum parts for their lightweight program because of that relationship.

29. ambrosio

ambrosio
    from denver

Neat ad, I was told that "Alcoa presents" was a TV series from the 60's that was like the twilight zone, I don't know which would have sponsored this car. That ad makes sense though, thanks

Andamo likes this.
  30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool real race cars - but, isn't there threads on Super Stocks, Thunderbolts, etc here already?