Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Rat Sass, Bowtie Coupe and elgringo71 like this.
  2. elgringo71

elgringo71

Is this the Vicious Vette? image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

Vicious Vette for comparison

image.png

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

It sure looks VISCIOUS to me

Rat Sass, Bowtie Coupe and elgringo71 like this.
  5. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lot of similarities Jason. These old race cars were constantly changing as the rules changed and the et's were dropping.
    Actually better looking in it's earlier days. I am usually not a fan of any of these C 1's once the tops are off, but I do like the looks of this one. Maybe that windscreen does it for me.

Rat Sass and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  6. elgringo71

elgringo71

I agree Baron they always look better with tops but there is something special about that first version. It just flows well, the hoods scoop, windshield and wheels and stance help it a lot. I also like the grille area with the little moon tank.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Rat Sass and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  7. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Rat Sass and elgringo71 like this.
  8. elgringo71

elgringo71

You bring up a good point about the emblem being removed. I think that you are right about it being used for access to the fuel tank but I also wonder if it wasn't also to allow more air flow under the hood kind of like a little ram air. I have seen some cars that raced with the back of the hood unlatched and they would be up 1/2" to an inch and I assumed that this was another trick to get a little more air flow and power out of the car.

Rat Sass likes this.
  9. vetrod62

vetrod62

I tried that at our 2009 Fall race. Made absolutely no difference in ET. Propped up or shut, all runs were within 2 or 3 hundreds.

[​IMG]

10. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thanks for the answer, racers are always looking for any edge especially when racing evenly matched cars. That is a great looking black 62 that you have.

Rat Sass likes this.
  11. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Chassis is coming together on the ScottRods Custom 63 Split Window Gasser build ,Rearend setup is next then the front axle from Bill Carlson at WAC. my vette 13.jpg my vette 14.jpg

BCCHOPIT, ME.GASSER, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jason that is Vicious Vette probably in 1966. That appears to be Charlie Wilson standing next to the car and he had recently purchased the car from Clyde Morgan. I have some pictures of it in 1967 which is when they changed engines to the 427 (set up by Bones Balough) with the 671 blower. Apparently Charlie wanted a little more bling as they chromed the front axle, the rear Pontiac housing and the roll bar between these pics above and spring of 1967. The front wheels though are the same that they continued to run on the car in 1967 although they switched the tires to Goodyears on the rear.

I also recognize the Jardine headers decal on the lower panel. I will do a little digging and scan some pictures of it in 1967. I thought I had them in my computer but cannot find them.

And I also think that Vetrods 62 is great looking-looks maybe a tad better when he is yanking the wheels.

Nice setup Scott Rods. Car looks like it will be built right.

13. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jason here is a few pictures from Rod & Custom April 1967. They were running in the early funny car classification and not gas but the article states they ran a best to date of 8.71/166.66. It sported a new red metalflake paint job sprayed by Charlie who I believe made his living doing custom paint. Clyde still drove the car for a while after he sold it to Charlie. As most know Dale Pulde drove the car also for a while later on, while in his late teens I believe.

Like some of you guys I really like these old Vettes with tops but this car is the exception. It really has the look and needless to say it runs pretty strong.
    [​IMG]

Rat Sass, Baron and elgringo71 like this.
  14. elgringo71

elgringo71

Nice feature article Jim, that car was a serious performer. But I must admit that it looks better to me in the earlier pictures. It really is a shame that the drag racing history has been lost on the cars that have survived due to restorations and the lack of VIN numbers by the racers. Once the clues are removed from the cars it's very difficult if not impossible to verify a cars history. Especially if the titles are reissued.

Rat Sass likes this.
  15. vetrod62

vetrod62

Thanks, my Black car has a bunch of "Edges" learned of the last 5 decades.

elgringo71 likes this.
  16. elgringo71

elgringo71

If you weren't a racer vetrod, I would ask you to share a few secrets but I will share a picture instead. This one should be right up your alley. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. elgringo71

elgringo71

Here are some 53-55 cars image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

1blown57, Tn. Trash, Rat Sass and 2 others like this.
  21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Great pics Jason. I will have to keep my eyes open on the black/silver 61 from my neck of the woods. It certainly has the look.

Rat Sass likes this.
  22. elgringo71

elgringo71

23. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. elgringo71

elgringo71

I like these new gasser builds but some of them are a little too nice and could stand a few more vintage parts like valve covers and magnesium wheels to give them a connection to the past. It's the vintage parts that can't be bought out of a catalog that can make or break an otherwise great car. Also like Baron says the sound of the exhaust too.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  25. vetrod62

vetrod62

Hey elgringo71, I have one of those black and silver 61 vettes in my garage at this time. Re doing it to be a 700 hp 436 sbc. Custom trick m-23 transmission. Ladder bar suspension. It should blow my car away. But not to fear, The owner was not raised on drag racing skills during our informative years like me and most of you. So I will be the principle driver.

The car is set really low, but I have convinced him to let me retro raise it up to a respectable height.

I really like the silver 61, I see two "edges" that I saw on many race cars "back in the day ". Perhaps inspired by Grumpy Grandpa ??

[​IMG]

26. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The more I see of these cars the more I fall in love. (Don't tell my husband)

Rat Sass and enloe like this.
  27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I AM GLAD THE 2 CORVETTE THREADS HAVE TAKEN OFF AGAIN :)

28. elgringo71

elgringo71

Be careful it's a slippery slope, which years or body styles do you like best? They are my second favorite cars after the Willys Coupes. Let me know if you want me to keep an eye out for one for you.

ME.GASSER and Rat Sass like this.
  29. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Funny you should say that about the New builds, I just sent out a message looking for outer body trim parts for my 63 gasser were building now, I didn't want to buy new reproduction stuff cuz I want a little patina on it, My thought from the beginning on mine was to build a new , old vette gasser.

30. elgringo71

elgringo71

That Black and Silver corvette is going to be a beast once you get done with it. Are you going to put a straight axle under it or just raise the stance? Also I am familiar with the M22 but not the M23 is that the autogear one with Italian cut gears. Also have you heard of the Hightower transmission? That's what the Southeast Gasser guys are running. What kind of ladder bars do you recommend? It's going to be a thrill to drive that one and it says a lot about the owner putting that car on the track. Often when a car is that nice they don't want to risk it.

Both the Silver and the Black and Silver Corvettes that I posted were built by Nickey and there are a lot of similarities between the two.

Rat Sass likes this.