Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How much heat is OK for Carrier Housing Ford 9"?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by crusin55, Nov 29, 2015.

1. crusin55

crusin55

I have a rebuilt 3rd member from a well know shop in midwest and it is very very noisy. Have about 400 miles on it and I drove it 20 miles last night and put it on my lift.

I touched the Axle Housing (rear center section) with the palm of my hand and it was quite warm but I could hold my palm on it without much discomfort.

I tried to touch the Carrier Housing (front) and could just barely touch it with much discomfort (hot). No way I could have put the palm of my hand on it without suffering a light burn on my skin.

Is this normal temperatures on the back and front? If it's not normal for the front carrier housing to be that hot, I'm thinking bad pinion bearings.

Builder is telling me the noise will get better after 1000 mile break-in. I don't think so (they are blowing smoke).

Let me know what you think.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. what gears, posi, is it vented correctly, how hard are you driving it?
    all low gears I have ever messed with are noisy
    I have put cars on lifts after hard drives and center sections are HOT

3. oj

oj

I'd pull it for sure. Catch the oil to see how much was in it.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was wondering the same with a 8.8 but was told they do get very warm,the NASCAR race cars have a pump and a cooler on the rear ends so they do get hot. It should not be noisy.

5. crusin55

crusin55

Open carrier.....3:00 ratio street gear. Easy driving....55-60 mph cruising speed.

6. the ones I have seen very hot were posi, low gears doing auto cross type racing
    never had severe heat or excess noise with high open gears

7. oh, and not to sound like a captain obvious, hows the fluid?

8. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know, I always let the car cool off before I get under there to swap gears.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'd check the temp with one of those infrared thermometers before I pulled it out. On semi's, a lot of them have temp gauges on the rears , I have seen them get as high as 200* in summer pulling a heavy load. Maybe not the best comparison, but I'd think anything up to 200* -215* would be fine. Just using your hand isn't going to tell you much other than it's too hot to touch.

10. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They do get warm. I have never actually measured the temp of one but they make gauges to monitor rear diff temps and the gauge range is from 100-250 deg F.
    Gear noise does NOT go away after break in. There is something wrong in there. If the gears are new, they are either set up very wrong or there is a problem with the gears (of all the diffs Ive built in the last 20 years in this trade I have only had one bad set of gears) If the original gears were used and they were noisy to begin with, they will always be noisy.
    Is it noisy all the time or only on coast or drive?
    Sounds like there maybe a problem with the preload on the bearings.

11. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

Was the company quick performance? Not looking to slander but was thinking about using them. I have not heard any bad reviews on them. Just curious thanks.

12. crusin55

crusin55

Well known builder in the midwest. We're still working on a solution. I will post when it is taken care of on their part.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  13. crusin55

crusin55

It is noisy all the time coast and drive. Gets really loud over 60 mph. Really loud all the time on coast until it gets down to about 20 mph then it goes away. You can kick it in neutral at any speed and as it is slowing down it is LOUD!!!!

Fluid level is up to bottom of the fill plug with the correct fluid.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  14. joee

joee

someone is blowin smoke up ur ass...they do not get quite

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

How are the axle bearings.

16. crusin55

crusin55

Put new axle bearings in when I installed new rebuilt 3rd member.

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Man I'd say something is for sure wrong, I'm not sure what, but I've used those guys many times and NEVER had a bad experience with them. Can you borrow a chunk from someone and swap it in and see what happens with a different chunk in it?

18. crusin55

crusin55

Got my old chunk. Had a low whine between 40-60 mph with a clunk when you snapped off the gas. No whine (super quiet) when slowing down.

That's why I replaced it. Now I've got one that is loud....loud whine up and down at all speeds. Can't even talk to each other in my 3-Window '34 Ford Coupe. It has Dynamat Extreme and you can hardly hear the exhaust or engine noise. You could talk to each other with the old chunk but not now!!!

This is a video of the noise.

1. Click on the Attachment
    2. At the bottom of the page...click on Open
    3. Let it load 100%
    4. Double click on Image

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My 9" with 5.14 and Detroit locker ran 160° in the summer, it was set up on lighter side of pinion bearing preload range with fixed spacer..Quiet...Current 4.11 with traction lock and pinion preload in middle of range with solid spacer runs at 155°..Quiet..Yes, I have a temperature gauge in the rear end and a cooler of sorts....

Attached Files:

20. Budget36

Budget36

I think backlash is too tight, I set up a used set of 3.54's in a Dana 44, with new bearings, but set up backlash at .003....effer got hot to the touch on the rear end cover after about 35 miles. I mean real hot....took it back home and reset the gears to .008, all was fine after that.

21. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Put the other chunk in it to rule out everything else in the rear. If it goes back to quiet then send the Chunk back to them and make them set it up again. They are a good company I cant imagine them not making it right. I have bought and used several custom built housings and chunks from them without ever a problem. I did have an issue once with some hardware and they gladly made it right.

22. crusin55

crusin55

This is a video of the noise.

1. Click on the Attachment
    2. At the bottom of the page...click on Open
    3. Let it load 100%
    4. Double click on IMG_0699
    5. Turn your volume up

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yep, plenty loud..

24. crusin55

crusin55

Sent it back and they said everything checks out OK. They did say the bearings showed excessive scoring with only 500 miles. They said it could be caused by Low Oil Level, Wrong Oil or Contaminated Housing. NOT....I bought oil they suggested, filled it to the bottom of the plug hole and wiped the housing clean with Brake Kleen before installation.

I think it was defective bearings installed or improperly installed. They offered to build me a new one or give me a full refund. I opted for a full refund. They put it through the same day.

It took 4 months from time of order to refund. Glad it's over!!!! I put my old 9" back in that only had a slight whine between 40-60mph. I can live with that after that terrible noisy new rebuild.

25. v8caddy

v8caddy

I have a 9inch rearend in my 74 ranger xlt I have a 410 merc engine bored balanced cam heads done I can run it hard the center never warmsup much