Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How many altered owners out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Fedman

Fedman

LOL! I am guilty as charged, for doing the same thing many times.
    No harm, and no foul, we have had an opportunity to do what many have not.
    Until you sit in the Hot Seat you really cannot understand, and I cannot explain what it feels like to those that have not been there.
    Love your Car!

2. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one in the re-construction stages. Just picked it up on that auction site.

Attached Files:

AHotRod and hog mtn dave like this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I can't hang with Hellzapoppin ......My puny 301 looks like a friction toy next to yours.

4. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Ha. You've been saying that for years....the older I get the faster I used to be. It would still be an entertaining race. It's all about the show.

pnevells likes this.
  5. Fedman

Fedman

Wow! Looking at your avatar, you have been for a ride! It is not always about the E.T.
    It is about the commitment to be there and do it!

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

It needs some TLC thats for sure.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

8. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Got this street and strip Fiat. 377 sbc/700r4/9".

9. pnevells

pnevells

tiger 2.JPG

Here is a pic of your dads car taken at the Vargo dragway, closed in 1969.I grew up very near the track .Photographer unknown, there is a face book page for the old track people post pics to all the time. We attended the track reunion just last week with our altered

AHotRod, Fedman and Speedys Garage like this.
  10. pnevells

pnevells

Here is a neat pic of us running a neat fiat altered at Beaver Springs beaver july 20142.jpg

AHotRod, Roothawg and Speedys Garage like this.
  11. fadt

fadt
    from England

One here.

PICT0039 (2).JPG

AHotRod and pnevells like this.
  12. Capt Crash

Capt Crash
    from Colorado

13. I have seen a lot of racin' in my 60+ years on this rock and have had the opportunity to see both of these cars run. They come from different eras of the same class and hang together or not they both got it in spades.

Here is something to bear in mind, a little off topic but just humor me I'm old, Ohio George raced "gassers" for a living. he had two that he was noted for racing, one a Model 33 Willys and the other a '67 Mustang, both fast in their own right both from different eras and the first would not hang with the second, not even on a good day. ;)

I have actually seen The Fly with air under the rear tires. Not too damned shabby for a short stroke mouse in an A sedan.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's actually going to get freshened up this spring. I can't stand the look of the radiator. It's way more practical, but it just looks wrong.

15. pnevells

pnevells

We just run the water in the heads, motor has a filled block, on alcohol, no need for a radiator jalopy showdown 063.JPG

mad mikey and wraymen like this.
  16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The altered's always put on the Best Shows at every race.

Jimbo

AHotRod likes this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

That looks exactly what we used to run. I have never filled the block, not sure if I need to. I run gas, how far can you drive it after shutdown? Do you chop the throttle and pull the shutoff?

18. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Curious...is there a reason you run gas instead of alcohol? Less maintenance?

19. pnevells

pnevells

With a 2 gallon tank , we drive it around the turn offs and shut it off. We always use the fuel shut off and then the mag switch as it starts to run out of fuel.. our tank is higher than the pump to make , all starts after the first one easy.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

We run gas, because that's all we know. This motor was a National Record holder in the early 60's and Dad ran it this way for years.

I am converting to alcohol because it seems to be more forgiving. Plus more folks know how to tune it.

Pnevells, do you have a chase car then?

21. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

..ok..that makes sense. I didn't know about the history of the motor though. Pretty cool. Alcohol is a little intimidating at first just because it's an unknown. You won't have a tuning problem and you sure won't have to worry about cooling.

pnevells likes this.
  22. ET

ET
    from MO

Running out of MOKAN - since they shut us down in KC. 327 Hilborn, clutchflite and a lincoln locker Olds rear. We figure the late 60's.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      254.9 KB
      Views:
    mad mikey likes this.

23. So True....You have to have the "seat time" to know........And yes- NO rush like it........ You'de have to do it to understand.........

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Why did they shut you down? Cage looks up to date?

25. bobw

bobw

He means KCIR closed, Roothawg. Hey ET, I saw you run at the Meltdown Drags. Looks like a fun ride.

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Gotcha. Thanks.

27. blackout78666

blackout78666

Got a buddy building this. Not an " altered" but is heavily altered. Named sir uglia. He likes bbc power and glides. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448726811.248481.jpg
    I know it's not traditional but thought it would stoke someone out

Nojive 55 and AHotRod like this.
  28. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Roothawg, your car has always been an inspiration to me. Norwell or Candyman will attest that pictures of it adorn the office walls. I once spoke to your dad to send me more pictures. It was one of three cars that inspired Dog Spit and now I am building a true nostalgia altered. We just finished the cage/chassis (NHRA legal), 100" wheelbase, 1932 Bantam coupe body which I have owned since 1965, everything on the car must predate 1962. I am running a 261 chev 6 with a McGurk roller can, Offy triple intake and nice pieces like original Wayne dress-up.

Warren

art.png DSC03707.JPG DSC03735.JPG DSC03809.JPG DSC03806.JPG DSC03814.JPG DSC03812.JPG

29. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

30. AHotRod

AHotRod

That is Wild ! ........ I Love It :)