Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

I agree! I learn new things all the time and really enjoy listening to all the neat history lessons and info and "dirt" on the cars and drivers from the past. Not to mention the restorations that some of the board members do. I don't post a lot, but almost every day I check in to see what's new! Keep up the great work and the camaraderie!

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

11x-25-a mccoy 53.JPG Ernie McCoy circa 1953.

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Ralph Liguori, Carl Williams Hoosier 100 66. 11x-25-b ralph l carl will 66.JPG

Davidm likes this.
  4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bud Tingelstad gets a aerial view of Eldora 1964. 11x-25-c-ting-64 eldora.JPG

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Dick Atkins Hoosier 100 66. 11x-26-a-66.JPG

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Wally M., Jack Rounds with Pete Schmidt's Wally built roadster 61. 11x-26-b- rounds 61.JPG

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bud Sennett and friends with the 11x-26-c sennett.JPG Karl Orr Spl. Oakland, late 40s.

Davidm likes this.
  8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bobby Unser's first Pikes Peak car 1955. 11x-26-c-1955.JPG

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I must be getting old as those "guard rails" would surely scare the bejesus out of me.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

11x-27-a.JPG Lloyd Ruby #18, Jim McElreath, Langhorne 64.

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Wally Campbell, Johnny Thomson 1954. 11x-27-b camp-25.JPG

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

11x-27-c.JPG Rounds Rocket Indy 49.

13. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Lookit that, they're seating the driver backwards, those fools!!

14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Rootie, Do you know if those sweeping tubular front axles were V8 60 '37 Fords or something aftermarket? Sure look pretty.

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Fabricated tube axles which were lighter than stock pieces.

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Though their Mazzy was hopelessly obsolete even by 1957 standards it didn't deter the Morgan Engineering/Danny Kladis team from giving it a shot. 11x-28-b.JPG 11x-28-c.JPG 11x-28-d.JPG

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^ Rootie is this the Maserati that Dean Jeffries turned into the Manta Ray, or did he use another worn out INDY car? Bob

[​IMG]

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Could be, I really don't know.

19. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

The Rocket is getting an alignment setup in this photo at the original Bear Manufacturing open air "shop" near the back of the old IMS Garage Area. You can see the chalk marks on the front tire for setting toe. Bear set up their first alignment rack at Indianapolis in 1930 and continued to offer their services to teams into the 1980s; maybe even the early 1990s.

The Rounds Rocket always looked like it should at least have been able to qualify for a 500. The standard 270 Offy should have been at least as powerful as those in the front engine cars and there should have been some cornering advantage (much like the Clancy six wheeler). This particular photo makes you wonder just what kind of alignment was being put on the car. Did they go with the European type positive front end camber settings like the Auto Unions which apparently inspired the Rocket? Did they run staggered caster to help the car turn? Were the rear wheels actually aligned to influence handling or did they just help the car track in a straight line?

The story on the Rounds Rocket has always been that the car was just too heavy. Even with that being true it sure seems like any kind of momentum advantage realized through the turns should have been enough to get the car qualified at least once.

The car was up for auction a few years back. I'm not sure just where the car is today.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...ntage-indy-cars-highlighting-milhous-auction/

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Does look a little porky. Another thing to consider is that the only paved track they ran on in 49 was Indy. Unlike a f/e car, trying to sort out a r/e car on dirt wouldn't have been practical so their development time was limited. 11x-28-e.JPG

21. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

No, the Morgan Engineering car was chassis '1604', while the Mantaray was probably a conglomeration of parts involving chassis '1598' and '1601', maybe even '1610'.

22. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

A few years ago, a very nice booklet appeared "A Pictorial View from the Bear Shops at Indianapolis" by Richard J. Iverson. Lots of photographs with short captions. Recommended.

23. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

I deliberately held back discussing this car, because I clearly remembered seeing a photograph of the Mercedes-Benz/Sparks-Thorne and it looking differently, but couldn't recall where I'd seen the pic. Prompted by Randall's post I now had a look at the Bear Shop booklet, and discovered the picture: although the car is partly stripped down, and photographed from a different side and angle, it still looks different to me. But I agree with Randall, that looks like Joe Thorne at the wheel, and the exhaust looks correct, too. Hm.

24. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

That's a pretty impressive transaxle. And it was probably a one off since no one else was trying use an Offy in a rear engine car. I'm not sure but (from memory) I believe the actual drawings and layout for this car were done by Norman Timbs so he probably designed the rear end as well. In the photo you can see how the gears would be changed and that the car has an onboard starter; typical for most cars at Indianapolis at the time. And the CV joints look like the they may be the same as those used on the Blue Crown front drives. That makes sense because both Emil Diedt and Timbs were key in the design and construction of Lou Moore's cars, too.

There's was a lot of thought and work that went into even getting this car on the track. All things considered the rear suspension layout looks well designed; especially for the late 1940s.

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

11x-29-a-55.JPG Charlie Musselman Langhorne 55.

Gabe Fernando and Dean Lowe like this.
  26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Red Riegel circa 1958. 11x-29-d riegel.JPG

Gabe Fernando and Dean Lowe like this.
  27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Highway hauler Meyer Drake style. 11x-29-c-.JPG

wicarnut, Gabe Fernando and Dean Lowe like this.
  28. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

The Beletsky car would be sold to Al Chamberlain. He ran URC and Usac in the east in 1959. I think it has been restored. Hilligass chassis. George Landry also drove it in 1958.

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Rodger Ward Langhorne 54. 11x-30-a 54.jpg

wicarnut likes this.
  30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bobby Marvin Sacto 62. 11x-30-b 62.jpg

hiboyroadsterboy and wicarnut like this.