Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Channeled W/hood sides

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Anyone have pictures of 32s channeled 5"or 4"with full hoods? I am having trouble choosing to run my hood sides or not. I don't want to pinch my rails completely behind the grill where the sides wood cover the frame. Cutting them down seems like a lot of body work with all those louvers and removing metal above and below the louvers seems like the proportions would be weird. I'm at a loss, ideas guys?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just an idea, but have you thought of making your own hood sides, and having them louvered? I have to agree with you, cutting them down and retaining full-length louvers would be a lot of work.

3. I made my own hood sides for my roadster, yet to make a top. I made them out of 2mm aluminium, and louvered them myself. They are to the dimensions of a stock hood. I just made up some little screws from aircraft rivets to hold them to the grill and cowl.

No reason why you couldn't make your own, just shorter.

4. Searcher

Searcher

This is a friends ..... I forget it's history at the moment.... the car has been around along time... and put back on the road a few years ago. I think ? Barris did some work on it way back.
    [​IMG]

Al Consoli likes this.

5. Searcher

Searcher

another angle...
    [​IMG]

Al Consoli likes this.
  6. 'Mo

'Mo

7. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

What not to do:
    vulcans01.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

My roadster in it former life...l know it has fenders but the hood sides were just trimmed up and it looks purdy good!?!

FLiP

I don't like myself, no one else does either!!

Attached Files:

9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I agree completely. As much as I love the Vulcans Vicky, I've always been surprised that they left the frame horns and didn't pinch. I just can't hack a big notch outa my sides.

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Check some pics of Lynn Yakels 32 5W Coupe.

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The notched side panels on the green roadster look pretty good, I like the way the trailing edge drops down.

12. I wouldn't cut up a 32 hood,it would be a major pain in the rear end and it's would be a fairly easy job to fab new side panels.

Grab some poster board,a pair of scissors,a tape measure and pencil and lay it out,then tape it in place.

If you are happy with what you see transfer it to sheet metal and your good to go. HRP

13. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

10cb6bc3.jpg Channeled deuce.jpg IMG_3144_zpsb6161626.jpg Channeled deuce.jpg I am in the same boat as you are, but my coupe only has a mild 2 1/2 inch channel.

I did the card board side panel mock up on my coupe and if you round the notch for the frame and let it swoop back it looks pretty good.

My plan is to make a custom 3 piece aluminum hood for my car since it is channeled and the front crossmember it moved an inch forward ( stock hood won't fit lenght wise either).

mad mikey and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. If that's the case, then you're looking in the wrong spot. Nobody does period-perfect research, documentation, and discussion like the HAMB. If you see a "neo-traditionalist street rodder" on here "spazz out" when '50's period-c0rrect rods are posted/discussed, then I strongly suggest you hit the 'report' button and he/she will be taken care of faster than you can say 'channeled'.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

15. The Reiff & Wells roadster (1948); reiff & wells 1948.jpg
    Leeroy Hansen's Deuce, 1948;
    hansen 1948.jpg
    Sheehan's 33-4 circa 1957;
    channeled.jpg

Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm just asking ideas and suggestions. I don't want us all to get into a heated debate. I probably won't run my sides but I thought that it would look more refined and civilized if I did in a way that wasn't all butchered looking. I was interested in it if I can make it seem like it came that way from old Henry. I'm into subdued appearances that are understated. I know that channeled is pushing it but I had my reasons for that and am trying to reign that in like choosing not to chop it or run lakes pipes when that would be a lot easier. I'm painting the rails to match the body witch i think looks to modern but I needed that to visually fill the space below my shallow pickup bed. I'm just trying to keep it from shouting out loud "I'm a hot rod look at me".

17. Bart78

Bart78

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406083329.464963.jpg

kidcampbell71 and sko_ford like this.
  18. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

A couple more there were a ton in the forties! I personally love the look!

Attached Files:

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Hell yes! Those are nice.
    I forgot all about this thread. I started it for my PU's trials and tribulations. I still don't know if I'll do hood sides or not. But it won't stop me from getting the thing going.

birdog likes this.
  20. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

True that! I love hoods and no hoods lol I just love channeled cars

21. Without a pinch, You're going to have a notch in the hood sides where the frame crosses the line of the hood. That's going to look like the vulcans Vicky or some rendition of it. Maybe you can get a smooth swoopy curve to it but the frame still needs to cross thru the hood.

Runnin shine likes this.
  22. Very cool roadster Bart78 posted......

23. kidcampbell71 and Runnin shine like this.
  24. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Although not a '32, and not stock hood sides, I copied what our uncle did way back in '54. The sloping curve is a real nice touch, and may look even better with the curve of a '32 frame rail behind it. My panels are aluminum and our very own Need Louvers punched the louvers in the sides and hood for me.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Runnin shine like this.
  25. Duffy Livingstone's roadster is one of my favorite cars ever. Looks like original tops with custom sides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Runnin shine like this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ahh just pinch the rails. You are cutting them off anyway.

Way easier than making the grill shell wider.........

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Matt this thread is old and refers to my PU not the Tudor.
    Most likely there'll only be a hood top on the truck. Or at least first.

28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I was just teasing anyway.