Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4-71 Supercharger snout position

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldschool37, Nov 24, 2015.

1. 55willys

55willys

I understand, sorry if I came off harsh. Do you understand what I was thinking of now?

2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

There are ways to do this , I do not know what tools you have access to ,if you insist on running the 4-71 & you know how to set up a blower ( Build & time rotors ) you can use reversed rotor gears , move snout to the passenger side of the blower & it will spin the blower in the correct direction just reversed gears ,
    More work & more $$$ but it can be Done

3. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

When Rotors spin the air is trapped between Rotor & case , then diescharged at the bottom ,
    So if you Reverse the rotor gears & move the snout to left Rotor (P.S.) the Rotors will spin in correct direction trapping air between rotor & case , I see several ways to mount that Blower!!! But it's not my vehicle , hope you get it done the way you wanted it,

4. LAROKE

LAROKE

Many thanx fellas. A racer on another forum made the same comment and now I see why. I've made the change to the mockup. This is my first blower engine and I appreciate all the help you guys send my way.
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Maybe I am missing something here, but I am having a hard time accepting this idea. There is no such thing as 'reverse gears' unless you have an idler between the main gears. It doesn't matter what the tooth pattern/design is, in a direct drive gear set (no idler), the rotors themselves will reverse direction when driven from the passenger side of the blower. The blower will indeed, suck from the manifold and blow into the carb, if driven from the passenger side.

Show me how I am mistaken and I will retract my comment.

Ray

6. 270ci

270ci

No need to retract your comment. Squirrel and you are right! 19Eddy30 will figure it our sooner or later.

7. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have Ran Several Blowers & there is several Trick parts out there , (50s to Present )
    Especially when you have your own Mills & lathe .
    I was told One time that you can not put a blower on a 10hp Lawn tractor ,
    I did , Just Prove a point !

loudbang likes this.
  8. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I know one thing for sure if you put the rotors in backwards (i.e. left on the right etc.) it will run like shit! In 1976 my 6.70 car went 8.70 barely! Learned how to tell the difference think of it like anatomy. You never see great boobs turn towards one another...they always turn out! Same thing with the rotors when you look at them from the driven end they go outward not inward!

loudbang likes this.
  9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I see two other solutions that may be workable. One, mount the blower above the valve cover and run a plenum with tubes down to the intake ports. The limiting factor is height. I have a '37 Chevy and there is much more room above the engine than in front or next to it.

The other is a gearbox on the front of the blower to move the drive shaft inboard. If this was done with quick change gears you could change the drive ratio easily. Just in case you want to investigate this further, the center to center distance on V8 quick changes is 3" on Champ size it is 3 1/2".

10. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Again lots of solutions !!!just don't know what capabilities and access to tools he has ,
    That's why the 50s in the 60s are called the Golden age of racing !!!!lot ideals !!!crazy stuff