Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4-71 Supercharger snout position

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldschool37, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Oldschool37

Oldschool37
    from Utah

I'm trying to fit GMC 302 with a 4-71 supercharger into a 37 Chevy sedan. Since the blower is mounted on drivers side of the engine and the snout is on the drivers side of the case, it places the pulley way to the outside of the engine compartment. Every 4-71 or 6-71 blower I've seen has the snout on the drivers side. Do any have the snout on the other side of the case?... Or, is it possible to somehow configure the case to have the snout on the passenger side of the blower?

I see Weiand has a model 77-174FSB supercharger kit for the Ford 289-302 that offsets the snout to the passenger side for distributor clearance. I may look into that as a possibility.

2. squirrel

squirrel

the reason it's on that side of the case, is so the rotors turn the proper direction to make the air go into the engine. If you put it on the other side, it will be a sucker, not a blower.

notice that weiand blower has an extra gear inside the case, so the snout can be on that side.

loudbang and Atwater Mike like this.
  3. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yeah, bit of a pain. My snout pulley has about one inch of clearance with the hood on this mock up and this engine compartment is a lot more roomy than what you're working with.

[​IMG]

doinbad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

almost makes you want to lay the blower on it's side, eh? like they were on the engine they originally came on

1938 4I-71.JPG

5. Oldschool37

Oldschool37
    from Utah

Laroke, Very nice, that is a very similar setup to mine which just will not work in a 1937. My blower pulley will be out side the radiator shell by about 6" roughly where the headlight is now. Also, with the wide belt, it will not fit length wise even though a have a narrow 16" wide radiator shoved as far forward as possible into the grill. I think by using a narrow belt and a Weiand 174 blower, I could make this work. I need to get the measurements of the Weiand Ford 174 blower and see what I can do.

6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Time to switch to a Ford 300, Intake is on the passenger side. :rolleyes:

Hnstray likes this.
  7. 27troadster

27troadster

Although mounting it like Laroke did is visually more impressive, my first thought was the same as what Squirrel said; mount it sideways and as close to the block as the exhaust will allow, (or go crazy with a 12 port Wayne head so the exhaust doesn't get in the way!) then run side drafts or a custom curved adapter for the 4 bbl.

Sounds like a great project, got any pics?

Kipp

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey all, stumbled on this interesting (and lengthy) thread on supercharging.
    It's Australian based, and granted it's not directly related to the original post here, lots of numbers and theory, but quite an interesting read nonetheless.
    Some of it may appear unconventional by current trends here in the U.S.
    Just food for thought.
    Link not loading, will try on next post, sorry

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

^^^^^
    Gimpy,

NOT AN OPTION ON A '37 CHEVY WITH A GRILLE.;)

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mid-mount the engine with a TH425.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back a few years ago when the 5th gen Camaros were hot out of the gate, a few companies made kits to mount the roots styled supercharger backward so the pulley faced the firewall. It was driven via a carbon fiber shaft that extended along the blower to the front serpentine belt drive. The rear drive was a belt and idler assembly. This how they found clearance in those early Camaros. I have never seen it on a hot rod application but done correctly it would look mechanically wild.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. 55willys

55willys

It is an option and is what I intend to do on mine. Not a 37 Chev but a 29 Ford pickup. Run a shaft through the crank hole in the grill, mount it on its side like original set up and run your intake pipes under the front and up to your intake.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has been done.

16. 55willys

55willys

Quite a few British and European cars ran front drive roots blower. One of the more famous ones was the Bentley Speed Six. In the US we had Potvin and Craiger front drive blowers but these attached directly to the engine front cover. Another option as mentioned earlier was to mount the blower on its side. I would use a 6V-53 series blower on its side and plumb it for the oil pressure and return lines. That blower is physically about the same size as a B&M 144 blower but is 1/3 again longer. 4x71=284 and 6x53=318 these are the size engines that those blowers came off of.

But back to the original question about a drive snout. You could have a small pulley on the blower coupled up tight to the front of the case with a jack shaft that is below and inboard of the blower. This jack shaft would run 1to1 pulleys at the back and would have the front pulley be the under or over driven pulley the way it would be now. I hope my description was clear enough.

I still think that the side mounted 6V53 blower would be cool running on its side with 3 side draft SU carbs off of a Jag on it. This would be compact and function quite well as you wouldn't have any 90 degree turns in the intake to contend with causing centrifugal force to sling the fuel out of suspension in the air stream. I have a tendency to think outside the box so to speak. Hope this helps.

17. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Nice set up """BUT """""you need to put idler on up side of Belt from crank !!!!!

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What would you propose he do with the water pump and pulley?

19. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Belt will jump all around ,break , take the bearing out on snout ,
    Longer belt & a little more Fabrication,
    Mount the idler between the water pump pulley so pushing against belt
    Towards the driver side tire ,

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  20. Oldschool37

Oldschool37
    from Utah

Yeah, I was wondering about the location of the idler on that mock up pic.
    My idler is attached using a bracket on the side of the head. DSCN0148.JPG

PBRmeASAP likes this.
  21. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

A lot better !!
    You need to use a lot of support for the Blower weight & vibration .
    That Snout is out their also ,
    I have used adjustable turn buckle's counter support the pull of belt towards the crank,
    Wide belts are cool , but a narrowed belt would be better ,

22. Oldschool37

Oldschool37
    from Utah

Even with a narrow belt, this setup will not fit in my car without major cutting of the firewall and radiator shroud. As I mentioned earlier, if the snout was on the other side of the blower, I think I could make it work.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tilt the engine.

Hnstray and 55willys like this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, "Ya gotta get their somehow".
    @55willys Thanks for this, I wanted some company before I mentioned a jackshaft, kinda thought it would not be well recieved on this thread.
    Never to be found in a kit, I'm sure, but oh so gratifying when you pull it off.

55willys likes this.
  25. 55willys

55willys

Ya I really don't care what people think about me or my ideas, so I just go with the best solution in my opinion and let the chips fall where they may. Kits are what I make for other people to use, I like to fabricate and design. Another solution is to cut a hole in the hood and fender and leave it like that or create a blister to cover it.

26. 55willys

55willys

Then you could use a T5 out of a Camaro and the shifter would be at the right angle.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now we're talkin'.

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If you turn blower around and use shaft drive the blower will turn back wards unless you fip the drive or mount blower upside down..

29. 55willys

55willys

I didn't say to turn the blower around. leave it like it is and use a smaller drive pulley coupled up close and run that off the end of a jackshaft. You can still change the ratio of the drive at the front of the jackshaft

30. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I thought you were refering to post #13..