Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old drag strips texas, name them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinker51, Jan 26, 2009.

1. n5ifi

n5ifi
    from East Texas

The downhill track is still there too. It is located a few hundred yards North of the New (now closed and torn down) track. I live about 8 miles north of the tracks.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=32.536611,-94.584968&spn=0.013206,0.019205&t=h&z=16

If this link works you will see Highland Ln. That is the New Hallsville Dragstrip and the old Hallsville dragstrip can be seen just to the left (west) of the circle track in the top (North) of the photo. The old track appears to be in decent condition too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVAvjK6kPAc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp60uTYXtyo

stillrunners likes this.
  2. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Bill Williams - South Main Houston

[​IMG]

MUNCIE and Stogy like this.
  3. Slicks

Slicks
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from denison tx

Strips at Big Springs Lubbock Pampa would drive from Roswell N.M. RACE ALL DAY DRIVE BACK HOME THERE WAS Amarillo also I ran a 31 model A VICTORIA B GAS

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It was just up the road from what was the East Texas Chest Hospital (headed toward I-20). Originally, the strip was a private landing strip for an oil company. You can still see parts of the strip on GoogleMaps.Com. There is a large building at the start line. I went to Tyler Junior College 82-84 Radiologic Technology Program and trained at Medical Center Hospital on East Beckham. I spent many weekends at I-20 and Hallsville drag strips; both were run by Ken Hall. Butch/546sedandelivery

5. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Nope...Karol Miller was a Bonneville legend. Y-Block king. We were supposed to run (drag race) on Tri-Cities Beach road around 1965. I believe he had a 260 CI Falcon or similar. I spent all evening getting the lead out (literally) of my D/MP in preperation. Looking back he was way way out of my league...

6. dotson

dotson

Thanks- I tried to call a couple of times but no luck- I was wondering how you made the large print/copy from the decal? Can I do this? I made a color print from copier but it is not the same as yours had beautiful and sharp colors - how can I do this?
    Also if you have a extra one or a old water decal you can sell let me know. Glenn

7. Glen
    Check your PMs...
    Bob

8. dannypue

dannypue
    from Conroe, TX

The first and only time I saw "Hands" was at the old San Antonio dragstrip in the late 50s or early 60s as he pulled two mounted slicks (one in each hand)out of his El Camino and carried them to the white '56 Chevy. We timidly walked over and talked to him and were totally shocked at what a nice guy he was. The thing that amazed me the most was that the Chevy was a column shift not a floor shift. Ha! Those were the days.

9. I saw Hands Smith carry drag slicks with 1 hand at green valley drag strip when I was young . Biggest hands I ever saw . As far as strips go green valley , yellow belly , Paris , Cedar hill . Dallas motor speed way was nice . Went to a big concert there while on leave from USMC . Dallas pop fes. Free camping at lake Dallas . Lots of hippy girls even got lucky .

10. crowen57

crowen57

I just ran across this thread. Sutton Motor Company was on the corner of Calder Avenue and Ewing Street in Beaumont. The building is still standing but the dealership has been closed for some time.

11. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Any recollection of them campaigning a Super Stock Plymouth?

12. Danny G

Danny G

That car was owned by Alex Feigelson and bought through Sutton

13. rojinks

rojinks

where was whitehouse

14. just out of Tyler,Texas

15. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Are there any remnants of the old track?

16. Gilmer/Bettie drag strip - maybe called - Stacener ?.....there's some trophy's on Craigslist....

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Google map it, ends right at the lake as I remember. Looks like poultry buildings are built along it or a lumber yard. Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. trophy's aren't mine....under 1955 parts....

19. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Is there actually an old address for Golden Triangle?

20. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Can anyone pinpoint where this dragstrip was near Whitesboro?
    [​IMG]

21. Ken Olson

Ken Olson

I remember the strip at Dayton super well. Ran there a LOT of times. Was easy for me, as I had the only competition car, B/A, all others that I remember were drivers.

Guys name that ran it, a Cajun guy by the name of Collette. We would toss down a beer, make a run, and hang on in the gravel. Ran there in 60 and 61, red 32 three window coupe, chopped, etc.

Ken Olson

22. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Texoma is easy to spot on Google, strip is still there. 3 miles west like it says, go west on 82 then north on 167, it's up 3/4 of a mile and to the left at an angle.

I am quoted above but still haven't found Dayton, anyone know what streets or direction from town, how far from something else?

What years did the two Hallsvilles shut down? Appears before 2009 for the later track and didn't that open around 1970?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My duds and I hid behind mesquite bushes and cactus many times when the law showed up. Jim Rochon was one of the "mounties" who harrassed the racers. Anyone remember Harold Schott and that white 2+2 'Stang he drove. Said it was stock; he lied just like his sidekick, Chandler White, with the red '50 Olds. JAY'S was the place

24. damn.....was just up in Whitehouse yesterday on a call....

25. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Excellent, thanks Tom.

26. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Found some vintage footage of Porter in two parts, also has some of International (Dickinson, Tx.) after that....

27. txcr13

txcr13

I enjoyed the Eastex Dragway footage. It was still in operation when I moved into a nearby development.
    My brother and I ran many times at I-20 and some at Whitehouse. We had a red '55 Chevy 2dr sedan D/Gas car, "Ruff n' Reddy". We won our class and got to the "money run" a few times at I-20, but never could beat the Dacus Brothers from Hawkins. They had a real nice injected Anglia. I think we needed a few more cubic dollars. We saw a lot of good funny cars run at I-20, Gene Snow, Kelly Chadwick, Clester Andrews/Wickersham Ford out of Beaumont, CKC out of San Antonio and "The Prosecutor" hemi sponsored by Standard Motorcar out of New Orleans, to name a few. CKC pulled a giant wheelie one night. Stood the Nova straight up and made sparks fly off the rear bumper. When he let off and the front tires hit the ground, he nailed the throttle and it stood up again! To this day, not sure I have ever seen a more awesome wheelie. That had that car running like a monster hat night!
    If anyone has any pics of I-20 or Whitehouse I would appreciate seeing them.
    You can look at satellite images and see that some paving remains from the strip and the return road at I-20. It is badly overgrown, but visible. Nothing remains of the tower or stands.

MUNCIE likes this.
  28. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Do you remember the pits at Green Valley?

Attached Files:

29. Yes , was there a lot . Even remember that car . Raced a 55 Chevy with a 327 before VN then my 69 RT with a Hemi after . image.jpg