Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 263 Buick S8 finned valve cover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickvalvenut, Nov 21, 2015.

1. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Greetings. Haven't posted in a while,nothing special till now.
    I wanted to give a lil sneak peak on a project im working on soon to finish. No one bothered making engine goodies for these engines till now.

Ill also be finishing up a 4x2 intake for the same mill.

Pimentel Racing Eng
    Jesus S. Pimentel

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS, 302GMC, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. GTS225

GTS225

Hey! That's coming along nicely.

Roger

buickvalvenut likes this.
  3. Jesus, when can we expect a finished cover. I am interested.

Ben

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Me too ! That looks very nice....... Keep us posted, please.

Ray

5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

It's hard to tell from the pictures, do you have any draft angle on the sides,ends or fins? Everything looks very straight.

6. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

money is tight right now but im working on it. Due to health issues I cant keep a job wich is why I started this company. My only income is from small restoration jobs I get like generators and such,but right now is slow.

7. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

im well over that and everything has draft. The fins were cut individually on the table saw for that matter. If you look closely in the second picture you can see it as the flare out at the bottom.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I am never going to have a Buick 8. But I do admire those who do have them. I wounder if your pattern will accommodate the 320 inch engine that I see on some Bonneville cars? And could it be made a little higher to allow for aftermarket rockers and big lift cams? Might sell a few more if that is doable without spending a bunch.

9. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

there's more draft than the typical

Attached Files:

10. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I will be making one for the 320 after this one is finished and I find head.
    You cant see here but im way pass that. Every thought has been put in this pattern and will transfer to the 320 version. The height has been adjusted and can been seen in the pattern in person.

11. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

That's nice, I couldn't see that in the first pictures. Good luck on your project!

12. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Just about finished. Need to blend the fins

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71, loudbang and benke like this.
  13. belair

belair

Very nice. Good luck with it.

14. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Just about finished. Undecided on how I want to blend in the fins and with what. I've posted in numerous groups and Facebook with no real interest. I have plans for an affordable 16 port head and other cast aluminum parts, but the lack of interest might push me towards the SBC and Ford. I'll make them for my self but that's it.

Attached Files:

15. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I need to borrow money to start producing, but not for 2 or 3 castings. I need to pay that back cash..

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not a giant market for Buick eight hop up parts. The 16 port head would be really cool. But if you sold even one, I would be surprised. It would be a great XXO Bonneville engine. If you do it, I think it's going to be a labor of love. I would really like to see it done. But I don't want to invest in it.

17. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

They where asking for a while, which is why I went for it. Now no one is around. Can always make something for the Y-block ford or those other popular engines which I just might. People always wants something different. Just wondering where all those straight eight owners went. I know the lowryder guys are starting to jump on the 40's Buick and they're big on accessories and the finned stuff will do fine but that wont be a while till it really picks up.

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

So which product are you saying there is no interest/demand for? The finned valve cover or
    a 16 port head? I am in for two (2) finned valve covers for 248/263 engines, provided the price
    is reasonable. A 16 port head would be a cool piece, but not something I would spend big bucks for.

Ray

19. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

At first my 4x2 didn't bring any feed back other than good work. So I jumped on the cover. My price will be reasonable. The head is a project I want for my self but will be available on request. Id really like to get this moving. If I can only catch more peoples attention so I can hurry up and make the rest. I want to put out a spark and lifter cover. Which the lifter cover will have a slight radius to keep away from plane jane. I also want to put out a aluminum replacement thermostat housing (2pc) along with a aluminum water pump.
    Ill take you down for two Ray.
    Ill offer it in polished and cast to give price options. That sound fair?
    Ill be doing all polishing by hand. The machine tends to eat away at the details.

20. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I'm going to give it time. Mean time ill continue to spread the gospel and work on the other patterns, nothing to loose there. Im actually pretty talented with this pattern making stuff and want to make as much as I can. The casting is nothing new to me just different materials. Eventually ill start taking request on what people would like to have.

21. Now I want one of these covers too, pending on reasonable price. Is the carbs on the intake all lined up or is there an offset?

22. I am interested, like Ray, contingent on price.

Ben

23. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

They are lined up one on top of each runner. Im still not finished with it but ill post pictures here later.

24. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

This is the intake. I've tried to show every angle. As I said. I'm aiming for these parts to be unique and this intake is no exception. Still needs more work, but it'll get finished. No fins on this one. If you do find some they'll be very subtle to the point you can only notice them from a distance. Being made is a water heated carburetor risers as well. Ill be making everything similar for the 320 as well.
    Plenty of things down the line. Air cleaner, lighted licence plate frame. Keep in mind not everything will have fins. Some items will be available as replacement so I'll be making them exactly like oem in case its going in a restoration.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

A few more things to add. But before a picture of the core box. They are ugly in nature which is why I don't picture them till now. It makes the sand pattern that gives it its hollow core. Engines are done the same way. What people call freeze plugs are actually core plugs. It needs to sit on the mold to keep steady.
    Back to the details. The valve cover sits taller than stock. If I remember it was like 5 1/2 inside height, with the thickness and fins looks even taller.. I know aftermarket rocker arms are available so I took that into consideration. I hope I got my number right, I don't own a set to go by. The intake is the same way. The carbs will sit a bit higher than stock due to the way runner is made. I did that on purpose.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Real interesting, very good work, good luck!!

27. [​IMG]
    Saw this on ebay for some inspiration.

28. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I seen it and the price..$1500. It be kool just to have tho. Thanks

29. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

hey fireball any interest in doing any 235 chevy stuff?