Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Technical: Question to someone knowledgeable about the SBC`s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sauli, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Sauli

Sauli

I am in the middle of installing a "´69-85 -style" 350 into a ´58 Chevy. The motor came without any of the accessory brackets.
    I intend to use a "GM 1-Wire alternator", mounted on the upper driver side, a Power Steering pump mounted below that on the lower driver´s side. The driver side exhaust manifold lacks the mounting location for the Alternator, that I understand the 1960´s -era "Ram Horn" manifolds came with.
    I am also using a "long" -style aluminum water pump.

My question is; where should I look for all brackets for the alternator, the PS -pump, and the corresponding "v-groove" pulleys for the crankshaft´s end and the water pump, in order to line up all the belts on the same plane?

I would most prefer to locate a matching, used setup off an existing factory application, ( if one exists) as I am yet to find a matching set of aftermarket brackets (=sold separately) to complement each other in this specific application.

TIA,
    -Sauli

[​IMG]

2. oj

oj

It isn't clear if you are using the cast iron or tube style headers, tube headers the bracketry you need is common pieces, cast iron will need period correct for the right bass' cast into them.
    let us know which way you will go, cast iron vs tube header

3. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy put the alternator on the driver side when they had the short water pump, and then they moved it to the passenger side when they went to the long water pump. Life is easier if you follow their plan...

Speedys Garage and scotty t like this.
  4. Also with the long pump the power steering will mount off the lower left side of the water pump and you'll need a two groove lower pulley. Pulleys and brackets should be easy to find for the long water pump set up.

5. badshifter

badshifter

Alan Grove has everything you need, one call.

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. models916

models916

Short pump, short pulleys, driver's side brackets. Otherwise you're looking at custom bend and fit for the mix of parts. If the holes are drilled in the end of the head, Use the 69-72 C10 truck brackets.

7. badshifter

badshifter

8. aaggie

aaggie

Another vote for Alan Grove. I have you setup in my '40 Chevy and the brackets work great using the long pump. I have used his brackets on several builds and have never been disappointed. Reasonable prices too.

9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Unless you're determined to go with stock GM parts it will be much easier with the Alan Grove products,one stop shopping.

10. indyjps

indyjps

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

X5
    Done

12. I'm using 1965 Belair brackets on my 355 SBC. Short water pump style, I have everything. After life on the Belair they migrated onto a Nova stock car and now they get used again. I'm using the OG ram horn manifold so everything looks factory.

Look around on evilBay, lots of new and used brackets to choose from. This is the one I have.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1965-1...ash=item5424f61951:g:xhoAAOSwiLdWB~~x&vxp=mtr

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  13. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Yep, what he said. Thier products are great quality and very reasonable. Also, if you use an alternator with an internal regulator (2-wire pigtail, late 70's GM) you can use the original GEN light on your 58. It's easy to wire into an original generator harness, and that light is handy to have.

14. Sauli

Sauli

Thank You, All for the most valuable information on this!!:)

15. Or find someone with a 70's gm that they're parting out or junkyard. Like others said, long pump alt is on the pass side, short pump alt is on the drivers side. If your going to use a 70's pass side alt then no special exhaust manifold is needed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Allen Grove are well built, I have them on a BB Chevy. My friend has a small block and bought another brand and the shake like heck.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. I am in the process of converting from a LWP to the SWP on my small block Chevy. I went with Alan Grove Components #228L alternator setup & pulleys. I mocked it up the other day & was very impressed with the kit. I've got everything painted & ready to install.