Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Swade

Did your guy explain what the correction factors are to you in lay mans terms

They are factors that were designed by the ' Sociatity of Automotive Engineers ' way back when, so that where ever you run a dyno at any altitude of any kind of weather it is all equal

You polk in those factors and the corrected numbers will be the same for all dyno shops anywhere across the country

2. 003 HAMB.jpg

Got the Mustang seats mounted.
    Steering column is on order.
    Engine is in transit.
    Headers are ceramic coated white.

3. I understand the basics of what is good air and what is bad air, not to the point of adding a hundredth to my dial in when I should though. But in all honesty, why would I or anyone care what the corrected hp numbers are at sea level when I don't live at sea level. I want to know what it makes right here right now, not some boasting numbers that don't exist in my backyard today.

loudbang likes this.
  4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

OK, this is a Bump! I got the trans crossmember for the Pontiwillys. Hope to progress after the first of 2016! Gary PB100012.JPG PB100013.JPG PB100014.JPG PB100015.JPG PB100016.JPG PB100018.JPG PA110010.JPG 36 ponti drag car.jpg

wingnutz, Dog_Patch, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

I just bought one of those rev limiters, I need to get the splitter box. Neat stuff!

6. What size pontiac is that ?

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

My Pontiac/willys is a 1936 3/w coupe with a Willys fiberglass front end and home built chassis. Will be large port 409 and a 4 speed.:D P5260011.JPG P7140003.JPG mine     1-19-14.jpg MINE    1-19-14.jpg Gary

8. We love pictures!
    I promise some this weekend, motor arrives tomorrow!
    Very interested in what the 800 pound drivetrain will do to the stock stance.

What are thoughts on front ladder bar mount / ladder bar length?
    If I do 48" they will be 1/3 the way into my door.
    Is there a rule of thumb? Chassis mid point? Relation to trans?
    We may have covered this in the first 110 pages?
    No offense but I want to do it once and I wont race competitively so I wont over engineer as would be proper.

9. CGkidd

CGkidd

I have the same tach and rev limiter. My magneto is already set up for dual hook up. hope I will get more done soon. Been working lots of extra hours so have been burned out.

loudbang likes this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

So I guess this means you found a job after you got out? :rolleyes:

11. CGkidd

CGkidd

Yeah working at a electric motor rebuild shop.

12. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Stude & Gasser dudes

Happy Thanksgiving

55 yrs ago I was building up Starters & Generators in the rear of Exchange auto parts store in Van Nuys, its amazing how some change and some things just stay the same

DND

13. Larry T

Larry T

50 years ago, I was working at my first "real" job at Robert's Auto Electric. Guess what was a big part of the work. :D

14. 50 years ago I was playin with toy cars that I could hold in my hand. The toys have gotten considerably bigger and more expensive. Still playin with cars!

loudbang likes this.
  15. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Yep big boys toys, at 74' and still a kid and too late to grow up now

Dog_Patch, loudbang and Baron like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.
    Who say's you can't have it all.............my wife.

17. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

It seems that people have gotten off track of the thread. Gassers were considered "street cars" by the rule book until about '66 or '67. That means they HAD to be "street legal". You name it, had to sort of be there and working. Lights, four wheel brakes and yes even exhaust systems in the early '60s and late '50s just like Super/stock classes of the factory wars.
    Disc brakes? Maz Willy's was running 4 wheel disc in I believe '64 maybe '65. So what the hell is this "period correct"? Guys ran certain things at the to save weight and money, then added ballast to run a different letter class or removed parts to run altered. Cars that were cheap, small, and light became Gassers. Your Hudson fits that category.

rustang, wingnutz and loudbang like this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Really neat car.

wingnutz likes this.
  19. I promise mine will be a street car. There will be a few things that the masses wont be in favor of. All my fault, some intentional some unintentional. For example the engine I had built has a few modern touches that we all agree shouldn't be there. I thought I was clear in my emails and conversations but clearly I was not. It has frustrated me for a couple weeks. Sad that I am not enjoying this as much as I had planned. I will get over it once I can mash the go pedal and run 12's. I will drive it to the track, run it and drive it home. It may get trailered at distances over 200 miles. Need to buy a trailer for that to happen.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  20. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Oh! Forgot! Back then cars were flat towed, or driven, so even plates.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Mine will be automatic trans. Sorry but that is what I want on this one.

BTW I am good with ALL input good or bad.

22. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Also forgot! Automatics? SWC was running a B&M Hydro in '63. Also Maz, even put one behind his Chrysler even after he switched from the Olds motor.

23. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Don't worry about period correct, nothing is. Go with a 4 point bar or a 3 point hoop like back then and see how that's gunna fly now past tech on a low 10 or 9 car. The small tanks, BS! The gassers of the day ran those if they were also going to run altered.

24. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I'm also running an automatic (700R4). I think of it as a modern 4 speed Hydro.

Gary

25. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Yahoo! Somebody that knows, not dreaming of good old bad days!

26. Larry T

Larry T

Most of the street equipment (exhaust system, tags, generators, etc.) were optional for Gas class cars in 1964. That's not much different, but it was toward the start of what folks consider "classic" Gassers now. Also, by the mid 60s most of the competitive naturally aspirated Gassers were running fuel injection, so a front mounted gas tank was a little easier to hook all of the fuel lines to than rear mounted gas tanks.

But, as already mentioned, you're not going to be able to legally run a period correct car at the drag strip, it won't meet the safety rules. If you're just building a car to drive on the street that's fine, but remember Gas Coupes and Sedans was originally a class for racing. There were no Gassers before the NHRA came up with the class for competition.

BTW, if I ever get my Anglia ready to race again, you'll never here me call it a Gasser even though I'm trying to build it in the spirit of what it's been since 1965.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  27. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Larry

To add to your correct info, I did not have room for a moon tank in front of the cam driven Hilborn fuel pump, so I made a rectangled 2 gal. one out of thin stainless that worked just fine

Like you say all the lines were very short [ about 12" long ] and a lot better for starting it up, the longest one was from the pump to the injector fuel block

When starting to race my 37' in 64' they did not check to see if the lights were working , as long as they were there to be legal for gas class's

From the outside the 37' looked 100% street legal other than the slicks, and that's what they cared about

DND

Baron and loudbang like this.
  28. Larry T

Larry T

I think the biggest concession to street equipment around here were head lights, (working) taillights, 4 wheel brakes (subject to interpretation), and self starting.

Also, on the gas tank deal, running a front mounted tank (Moon,Eelco, or ???????) also kept acceleration from fighting the fuel system especially "in front" of the FI pump (at least in theory) and a tank that kept the fuel level above the pump helped keep the pump primed.

loudbang likes this.
  29. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I really liked the fact that mine would start very quick, cause I always wanted to be starting up first so I could hear how the engine is running and it lets you know when you can open up the throttle

If you open it up too soon it will die since the lines are not full of fuel, and if you fire second you cant hear your engine and you have to feel it in your right foot on the gas petal

Just little things you learn while running a injected gasser

DND

wingnutz, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.