Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Well ladies & gentlemen, it is officially time to start getting ready for the 2016 Meltdown Drags. This will be the 7th year of the Meltdown Drags and as usual held at the historic Byron Dragaway in Byron, Illinois. The event will take place from Friday, July 15th through Sunday, July 17th.

The purpose of this thread is the following:

• People to share what they are doing to get ready for the 2016 Meltdown Drags

• Have a little fun calling out a match race

• Official Meltdown communications regarding the event

For those who have never been to the Meltdown Drags, what are you waiting for? Just kidding. The Meltdown Drags is an event like no other as we recreate a drag meet from 1966. This is an event for racers/hot rodders put on by racers and hot rodders. Bring your period correct car to race at the best vintage drag meet in the world. Some might even say that this is the place where the guys go that get it!

For more information on the rules please check out www.meltdowndrags.com

We also have a Facebook page and recommend that you follow it for other updates as time goes on.

And finally for those who are wondering, pre-registration will start at Midnight on January 2nd, so stay up late on Friday night and try to be one of the first to register for the event.

Thank you to all for making the prior six events a huge success and we look forward to a historic event in 2016.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am really hoping to come this year

Dog_Patch likes this.
  3. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Let the smacketh talketh begin !!! o_O

55belairx2, 30dodgeboy and bigslim55 like this.
  4. bigslim55

bigslim55

Hey Jeff, did you see this in the Jan 2016 Hot Rod Deluxe...? Article is called "Period Perfect" The Right Rear End For Your Gasser! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448330804.521221.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448330804.521221.jpg

5. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Enloe-

We sure hope you can make it this year. Start to save your money and request off of work as soon as you can.

6. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

I had not seen that Jimbo...thanks for sharing.

7. bigslim55

bigslim55

Jeff did you get the rear end all sorted out on the odiedoker? Did you give it any stress tests?

8. bigslim55

bigslim55

By the way, what happened to pwrshftr or Scott? He's like disappeared, no updates on what happened with the lakeshore shaker?!? .

30dodgeboy likes this.
  9. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Jim - The Okie is still on the operating table. I have an issue with the tail shaft that I am now going to be fixing this winter. The motor and trans were going to get pulled anyways, so not a big deal.

I heard that Scott is busy changing diapers....

Eric told me that some Edelbrock's on that little Ford of yours made quite a difference...is that true?

bigslim55 likes this.
  10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

The problem I am going to run into is that I am going in for a knee replacement the 14th.
    I will be out the 1st of the year so I won't be accruing vacation days:(

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  11. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Maybe you can put in a MANSmission in it...the one that requires both feet to drive.

12. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Building a set of fenderwell headers, moving battery to trunk also. Have another combo I would love to throw on but the rear of the car isn't built for it. Just looking to get in the 10's next year. I've been moving up one class each year, 2016 B gas , 2017 will be A Gas hopefully if I can get a beefier drive train in.

loudbang and bigslim55 like this.
  13. bigslim55

bigslim55

Eric also recommended I look into a MSD ignition for the car... So I bought the small cap distributor to clear tunnel ram, 6AL box & coil for it... I thought I saw somewhere you had to use a MSD timing light to time it? I've got a Snap-On timing light... I worked on hooking MSD up last weekend... Still have to get tach hooked up & tie up loose wires from 6AL Box up under dash...
    It's getting a lil easier too squeeze in there, I'm down about 45 pounds so far. About a touch over 7 pounds a month for past 6 months. My goal was to loose a 100 by next Meltdown...
    I have it half ass running now with new MSD stuff. It idles way smoother...! But I need to check front carb with a flashlight & look down inside it when I turn the throttle. It sounds like it is not squirting any gas or there's no gas getting to accelerator pump? The rear carb sounds like it's squirting gas tho when I crack the throttle... So that's the next thing to look at...
    Motor - Trans! sounds like major Surgery going on with the odiedoker!?! You going thru trans? Or checking or changing rod & main bearings along with oil pump?

14. The Skairlane will be there putting on a show hopefully as long as it's not broke before hand testing it out:eek:. I got all the engine parts in my hands just waiting on the intake to show up then off to the engine builder for machine work and assembly.

Attached Files:

15. We have a long way to go to get the Dodge ready for the Meltdown, but we damn sure are going to try like hell.
    The Valiant is ready for action after being down since breaking at the Meltdown.
    1937 dodge on 1-31-15 IV.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Who said my name!?

enloe, beebee78 and 30dodgeboy like this.
  17. He and his wife Krista had a little boy. He started over again, like me, and my Krista. Well sort of, ours are adopted. These little kiddos can put a dent in your race car wallet & garage time, but there well worth it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  18. He's having a problem getting that tail shaft out from between the front tires.

19. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

The Falcon WILL be there this year. Did some track time with it this fall at the Hunnert Car Headsup.

20. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

My car is finally moving under it's own power, after many years. Still some sorting out to do.

Gary

Attached Files:

• 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      163.2 KB
      Views:
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I got some 409 shit to lay down.
    Want a peace of this???

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

20151026_151339.jpg
    Hope to have this one ready for some action next year.

23. Marc and I replaced the 4.30 rear gear with a 4.88 set. Removed 20 lbs of steel from the back of the car, and replaced some undercarriage crud with semi gloss black paint. Made some adjustable front end limiters, raised the wheelie bars an inch, and shortened the clutch master cyl. push rod for some more adjustment as we chase the minimum base pressure (2-3 turns), on the McLeod soft lock clutch set up. If time and money permits, we'll also replace the front (its cracked anyways) & rear window with lexan from Pro Glass, this should drop another 50 lbs +/-. Also, time and money permitting, we'll replace the stock steel deck lid with fiberglass, and have some patina sprayed on it for the time being. The deck lid, lexan & other weight trimmings should put in the 3000-3100 lbs. range. If were still rolling with Marcs pump gas 410 small block, I'm pretty sure certain we can run in the 10.30/130+ range. Hopefully this will be enough to shut down the "Flying Giraffe & Ole Wheezie. If not, I'll never hear the end of it.

24. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

mad mikey likes this.
  25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I will be running the dragster this year for sure motor is in machine shop and waiting on parts to put it together I have 99% of the rest of the dragster on hand trailer is being finished up now and decided to put together a tow vehicle hope it's appropriate for the meltdown
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448387304.383329.jpg

Yes Scott it's a ford but since I want to get there and back I figured I better put a sbc and a Chrysler Trans in it that seems to be the best combo ever lmao

26. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I might have this steel Bantam coupe ready. If not, I'll be back with the 300 ford 6 dragster.

27. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Went to the Car Crap Milwaukee Nationals by mistake this year. Wont make that mistake again! See Ya in July.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  28. You're going to tow the digger with this? That will be a killer looking combo there!

29. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

That's the plan best part is it's a station wagon and I'm gonna put a 2x12 push bumper on it so it should fit the bill real well

Panneton Bros. Racing likes this.
  30. Saxxon

Saxxon

The track is pretty lenient and understands the event but ... and I say this with all due respect.... but ... don't put the track in a bad position. They will likely let you run but will probably restrict you to 13.50 or slower.

Also - the MDA do not set or enforce the safety rules. That is between you and the track and NHRA

Show up with that bad -boy, stay safe and have fun !!