Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early altered transmission question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ididntdoit1960, Nov 23, 2015.

1. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

What would an altered from the early 60s have run for a transmission - specifically a B/A - High compression, small displacement (in this case a 283) injected (not supercharged, no nitro) - I wouldn't think a direct drive or a Hydro.....

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Probably B&M Hydro

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had a Packard transmission. Side shift. Cool guys had top stick transmissions. But I made a reverse pattern floor shift conversion. Only used 2nd and high anyway. Other guys used Buick or Cad-LaSalle or Ford transmissions. I am sure some used newer stuff or B&M hydro sticks.

ididntdoit1960 likes this.
  4. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

was you car center steer (i've seen many early altereds that wern't)? I figured it would prob be a 3sp using 2nd and 3rd.....Just trying to figure out what my car "should" have.......it has a PG now so I feel like the guy with a T5 in his otherwise traditional hot rod.....

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

All of the guys that I have talked to (and I've talked to allot) that Drag Raced a Altered in the mid 50's - early 60's ran a 3 speed manual transmission and launched in 2nd gear. Some used 1st gear depending on the overall combination, low horsepower or higher weight. Many used 4.11 to 4.78 rear gears.... but there were some that even used 3.50 to 3.70. Many told me that due to the fact that the tracks were very poor and scary and the tires were nothing to brag about, it was a balance of tire speed and end-of-track RPM.
    I love mid-50's to early 60's Altereds, I wish we would see more recreated, even as street cars as many were.

33dodge.jpg

Andamo, volvobrynk and ididntdoit1960 like this.
  6. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

I ran a B/A in the mid-60s, 283 with a Chevy three speed. It had center steering and hand operated brakes. All of the similar cars I was around were center steering, hand brakes, rear brakes only, engine set-back, etc.

Attached Files:

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Mine was not center steer as all the cars I have had since. takes up to much room sitting over the driveshaft. I can have much more headroom with conventional left side steering. See roadster to the upper left

8. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Might decide what you are wanting to do with it. Street drivable will require some things not required on the track and if you are wanting to race it, it will have to conform to current rules.

9. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Track only - no cooling system etc - set up as a "fun" car to run local "330" drag events and other non sanctioned nostalgia meets - just like you said....98" wheelbase, 42" track width, 25% setback, hand brake on rear only - 2x3 chassis with 1 5/8 roll bar/cage all tig welded....12:1 283, 3.55 open rear

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. AHotRod

AHotRod

How about some pictures of what your building ?

11. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

You said you were to run Nitro. You would then be a B/Fuel Altered. We ran one in the late sixties with a 270 Dodge Hemi. Ran direct drive with 4:10 rear end. It ran low Eights at 160 mph. Later we put a slipper clutch ran faster. Lots of fun.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Do you have any pictures of it you could share?

13. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

14. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

You must have mis-read my post.....I said No Nitro

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Clean purpose-built machine! Very sanitary. I like the pillow block on your extended sector.
    Corvair or Dodge steering box? (looks Corvair?)

16. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Thanks - I'm big on less is more - its a reversed corvair box with a kit from gas alley for the side steer - I made the brackets and gussets to mount it and bought the pillow block at a local bearing supply house - the gas alley kit was good, but I did need to turn down the shaft a bit as it was oversize - the support bearing they tell you to buy from speedway was a joke.

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

I agree.
    The Bantam looks "Spot-On" !
    I think you should leave the glide in it .... you already have it, why speed more money on old transmissions, clutches,flywheels,scattershield, starter,shifter.
    It will be a hoot to drive !!!
    By the way, whose slicks are on it?

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. AHotRod

AHotRod

I think this one is very cool.
    How are you going to do your headers?

967c0445c7d5e2d56ad15d6d422d7a70.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Its gonna stay.....at least for now - its just great to ask a question here and get accurate answers from people that were there and doing it......with pictures too! I was curious as to what "belonged" in there - the slicks are towel city - would I be allowed to run this thing at the meltdown? I cant imagine it will be that fast, but would they still require a current spec full cage? Still a lot of work to do between now and then - the firewall is next

20. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Im thinking very short up-turned small diameter (1.5" od) zoomies - that way they will clear the steering link on the outside of the frame (not installed yet) - but we'll see once I get there

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

The majority of the Altereds back then ran 4 individual pipes .... from very short to very long.
    I have lot's of pictures if you need examples.
    Here are a few....

Gabby-Bleeker-MD-60.jpg

ImageUploadedByH_A_M_B_1429037283_422019.jpg

OrangeCrate1.jpg

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Austin.JPG How it was at my house. Started in 59. Went in the Army. Got it running in late 63. Zoomies had not been invented yet.

23. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

love your bantam!! it looks like mine i built in '94, except mine is flathead powered and a late spec cage with a c4 trans.. i have been harping at people for over 20 years to build altereds, as they are the fastest cars on the least amount of money. that is if you don't let everybody tell you you have to have all the latest high dollar stuff on it. i.e., chrome and billet, electronics, expensive wheels and tires. i ran street radials on mine for over 3 years before i put slicks on it. to give you an idea on cost, i built mine for $2500 back in '94..don't think you wont win any either. i run in a series 5 times a year against 10 second altereds and dragsters and have won more and been in the semi's and finals than anyone else.
    [​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  24. Very cool altered. Run the powerglide and see how she does, should be all kinds of fun, and maybe faster then you think!

25. pnevells

pnevells

Run a powerglide and have fun racing your car, the chevy three speeds leaving in second was because there was nothing else, and it was easy to make them flat shift fast. We have a glide in our car and it is a blast to drive and still looks the part of a 60's altered

hilltown-1-4.jpg