Register now to get rid of these ads!

History '63 times GP, I had a dream

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falcongeorge, Nov 29, 2013.

1. 55willys

55willys

4th of July weekend the Children's Hospital Historic Race at PIR every year. It is fun to see the vintage cars being used for what they were intended.

2. Not traditional, by any means, but SCCA used to race at Rockingham and Charlotte.

3. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Mid-Ohio and Nelson Ledges were the tracks I grew up with, both still active. We went to the Cumberland nationals at the airport, and when it moved to Nelson. Saw the great Bruce McClaren (Can-Am) and Mark Donahue (Trans-Ams and Can-Ams) at Mid-Ohio. Saw Paul Newman racing regionals at Nelson when he first started. It was a great childhood.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I DO need to get out more. The guy I bought my '39 from lives close to Watkins Glen, we are attending the Watkins Glen Historics with him in 2017. By that time, he expects to have the Franklin Convertible Speedster he bought from my dad restored, the game plan is to use that for transpo for the weekend, so it should REALLY be a trip back in time for me.
    And I should check out the event at PIR. Does Kent still have a good historic road race event?

And another interesting historical note, the old Mission raceway was used as a temporary airstrip in emergency situations. I remember being there on a raceday once in the mid seventies, and they stopped the event so some guy could land his Cessna.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Fedman

Fedman

[
    And another interesting historical note, the old Mission raceway was used as a temporary airstrip in emergency situations. I remember being there on a raceday once in the mid seventies, and they stopped the event so some guy could land his Cessna.[/QUOTE]

I remember being at the Old Mission track and a plane landing as well...... We probably crossed paths that day in the pits!

6. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

If by "traditional" you mean "permanent" road courses (not city street races), You could also include the infield tracks at Daytona and Indianapolis, plus Indianapolis Raceway Park and the Circuit of the Americas south of the Austin airport- home of the last 4 US Grands Prix.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No, I mean traditional in the European sense. Including elevation changes and following natural land contours. I would not include infield courses or airport course in that definition.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I remember being at the Old Mission track and a plane landing as well...... We probably crossed paths that day in the pits![/QUOTE]
    I'm CERTAIN we have crossed paths many times without realizing it!

9. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

The Austin track has lots of elevation change, including a 150 foot rise before the blind turn 1.

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. New Jersey motorsports park in south jersey

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Willow Springs Intl. Raceway, Rosamond, Ca.

12. keyster

keyster