Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 5 window conversion to roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WZ JUNK, Nov 20, 2015.

1. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I tried to search for some information but I have not had much luck. We are needing a roadster body for a race car and we have a 5 window coupe glass body. I know the two bodies are very similar and I think that I can modify the 5 window into a roadster but I wanted a second opinion. The rules of the sanctioning body are strict as far as the body being the right size and shape but does not require it to be 100% to factory specifications.

I need some advice and recommendations from someone who has knowledge of these two body styles.

I know that only a crazy person would cut up a 32 Ford 5 window to make a race car, but we have the need for speed.

John

2. No 5-window will ever "Look" like a roadster...even with the top cut off..sell the 5 window and buy a roadster...

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Their is a 32 5 window out of Fairborn Oh that was made into a roadster back in the sixties. It was a drag car that ran I think was a 6 cly chevy. I heard his son still owns the car but I am not sure. Maybe someone has some old pics of it. Sorry I do not remember his name.

4. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

The 5 window body we have is a low end body. The inner and outer of the doors are separate as is the trunk inner and outer. I will use the outer skins only and make a one piece lift off body. It is not worth very much, and this is a race car, not a show car, or even a race car that will have a show car appearance. It will look best at speed.

If this was a different situation, I would agree with you.

John

5. exterminator

exterminator

You said (fiberglass).Do what you want!

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I am trying to find out information on the shape difference of the upper part of the roadster doors and the area at the bottom of the 5 window top compared to the shape of the roadster in this area. The cowl area will be smooth.

John

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without knowing how exacting the sanctioning body requirements are, we would just be guessing. Thst said, most of the work would seem to be in reforming the cowl for roadster WS stanchions. Then getting the top well proportions. Then reworking the door top detail lines. Sure sounds like getting another race weight body would be a better option. Maybe from OZ?

8. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

You are on the right track.

I do not need the provisions for a windshield, so that area can be smooth back to the interior opening above the dash. My concerns are the top of the doors and the area around the back. Fabricating the fiberglass is not a problem, as I have a long history in this area. My question is the shape change from a 5 window to a roadster. I believe the door openings size and shape are the same except for the top.

John

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I can measure my roadster door openings if you want, the back is close I believe the back pannel above the decklid is 8" longer thus shorting the cockpit about that amount , the decklid is clocked slightly different as the lower pannel is also slight different

The major differance is the cowl top and the reveal and the rear quarter fender reveal , the rest could be fudged and nobody would probably know

You start breaking records though and people will get their measuring tape, frank currie got dis qualified at bonneville in a record runbecause the bump under the windshield wasnt there I believe image.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

[QUOTE="
    You start breaking records though and people will get their measuring tape, frank currie got dis qualified at bonneville in a record runbecause the bump under the windshield wasnt there I believe View attachment 3061680 [/QUOTE]

You sir are on the right track and the answers I am looking for. You do not need to measure the doors as when we get closer to actual modifications, I can do some measuring locally but I do appreciate the offer. Right now I am in the, can it be done phase, and is it feasible, stage. We have an inexpensive 5 window body that can be used.

I am dealing with the rules organization you mentioned. I had one of those bumps saved from a car I used a Duvall windshield. I wonder what I have done with it?

thanks

John

11. Well John my question to you is....Why in the hell did you make this posting???? Your mind was made up befote hand. Be sure you sweep up the acorn hulls,Squirrel

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I bought one of those cheap roadster body's in pieces for 1,500 though ...

maybe you would be ahead of the game to sell your 5w body and buy one of those... Or trade what you have for a roadster?

You would probably save yourself some time and a couple 100 in resin and matting?

13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You sir are on the right track and the answers I am looking for. You do not need to measure the doors as when we get closer to actual modifications, I can do some measuring locally but I do appreciate the offer. Right now I am in the, can it be done phase, and is it feasible, stage. We have an inexpensive 5 window body that can be used.

I am dealing with the rules organization you mentioned. I had one of those bumps saved from a car I used a Duvall windshield. I wonder what I have done with it?

thanks

John[/QUOTE]

If you are going to go fast and plan on breaking records make all precautions nessesary those old guys don't like giving up their records and will snivel and protest at any means possible , STR and a few other classes are the most picky ... So read the rule book inside out..

Ron Joliff had some issues with rules and old timers on his 34 , finding loop holes are frowned upon ...especially for the new kid on the block

Was kinda BS what happend to Currie but rules are rules

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This is probably not a big concern of yours but as "thirty two" said coupe and roadster rear wheel openings have quite different shapes, with the roadsters' quarter panels having much more of a flowing radius down to the opening.
    Google George Poteet 5 window with roadster quarters.
    Masterfully done by Dave Lane @fastlanerodshop.com

15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I have seen it stated that some roadsters ( maybe early) did have the reveal more square kinda like a coupe , I have never seen one however

16. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Yes the rules for SCTA are very strick on this issue, and you can get away until you break a record and someone says 'What-a-minute"
    Also take a look at the current body that is getting the top speeds,, and it's not the 32. The 34 is the body that Ron Joliff brought out and everyone thought he was crazy to use the 'larger' 34. I think the last 'cut down that got away with it was the Jack Bar 34.

17. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Because I was not asking if I should do the conversion but rather how I could do it. I did not need permission.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  18. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I would prefer the 34 but we do not have one to use. I like the aero better on the 34 even though it is bigger. We are looking at the new American Iron class. Hooley wants a car to run at the mile events and maybe on the salt. This one will be for fun.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.

John

19. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

This is the kind of stuff I was interested in. I will check it out. Thanks
    John

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A friend was asking me about the same thing. Not being able to recall the door length difference between coupe and roadster, (that was the 'crux' on Model A's, coupe doors are longer, thicker, etc.)
    I advised him to measure his Revell model bodies.
    (Revell has gotten very accurate lately on their '32 Ford details...from the 3 window to the 5, and the roadster; but now there's a tudor sedan, also. Amazing scale fidelity here, and you're working with a 'glass '32!)
    Great for upper door (gunwale) detail, like working from a 3 dimensional drawing!

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The statement about "early", that did not meen model A did it.
    Were they possibly talking about the 32 Cabriolet? Many people call them Roadsters.
    32 Ford Cabriolets have quarters that are different than roadsters.

22. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

No I read it here at sometime .. It seems someone had a picture also ....someone said it was early run while others said different factory it didnt look exactly coupe like but didnt look roadster either ... 5w coupes have been said to have two different roofs also... First frames didnt have legs in the middle crossmember lots of changing happened that year for some reason

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Then there is all that oddball (sorry) Euro. stuff thrown in the mix.
    Not that the OP will give a fly'n f#@$ about any of this trivia; it's still interesting to pick up some of the lesser known tidbits about the deuce.

24. HD Driver

HD Driver

Didn't Jerry Kugal convert a 32 coupe to a roadsters for Bonneville? 70's ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. ryno

ryno

john, give me a shout tomorrow if your still needing info, ill get you in touch with some one with real knowledge. this board is not what your used too any more.....

26. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Yep we are all complete dip shits... Carry on