Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1950 Ford Shoebox Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenevez, Oct 27, 2010.

1. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Yeah, my buddy used to be strictly hydraulics. and he has so many horror stories about them. Little too crazy for my taste, but i love them just the same. And i know your shoebox very well. had my eye on it for years. Love it. I didnt know you had a 50 Merc though. Thats like the Creme De La Creme! :)

thank you for the link, Buddy. not sure how it will work with an air setup quite yet either

2. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Calling all Shoebox HAMBers! ***

So i bought this JAMCO Frontend/Steering rebuild kit.
    Just want to know if ANY of you have installed this on your own Shoebox and how entailed it is to do. Will i be able to do it all myself? Things to watch out for, etc..

[​IMG]

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

All the stuff you have shown in the pic are pretty well straightforward R&R stuff , apart from the pitman arm that goes on the bottom of the steering box. That will need a puller to remove. If yours is OK, no real need to , IMHO .
    The other thing I will make note of, is that you will have to unbolt the idler arm bracket from the frame to remove the old idler arm and put your new idler arm on. There are certain specs in the "green bible" to set them up as well. Pretty much don't turn them all the way in, or it will bind up when you turn.
    You should probably get a set of those camber brackets to correct your camber issues. Should be able to make it correct where you drive it most of the time . It certainly cannot hurt .

You can do this stuff- it isn't rocket surgery . And obviously , get an alignment once you get it all back together.

If you don't have a green bible, I highly suggest getting one. Lots of good info in there.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    sevenevez likes this.
  4. Like Buddy said, pretty strait forward. A pickle fork is the only uncommon tool you should use. Your not going to change the camber/caster changing out just tie rod pieces. To get your Toe in real close for the drive to your alignment shop use 2 8' floresent tubes. Put a mark on them at 4' and use some pieces of wood 2x4 on the floor at each end. Brace the tubes against the tires. With a plumb bob on the center of the bearing cap get the 4' mark as close to exact center as possible on both sides. Check and balance air pressure on both sides. Now measure across both tube end caps and set them as exact as possible. Now your good for the drive to the alignment shop.
    My 51 has been a real fun car. F.Y.I. it's going to be for sale in the near future. I've had the 50 Merc since High School and worn it out twice. It's coming back around again along with my 57 Ford. One guy can only take care of so many Toys and then there's the $$$ thing too.
    The Wizzard

sevenevez likes this.
  5. I flipped the stock spindle suports on my 49...heated and bent the steering arms down and mounted the sbc high enough to clear the oil pan with the tie rod.
    I also used cut coils and lowering blocks. Replaced the original sway bar with a 70s 1.25" trans am/Z-28 bar.
    I had to do some floor work to get the raised engine/trans and drive shaft to clear ok. ...at first I used older bias ply tires on 7 inch cop car wheels but like your car, it dodged all over the road. I switched to radials and old E-T wheels and the Car drove like a slot car! Was a joy to drive.
    rockybox2.jpg

daddio211 likes this.
  6. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Thanks Buddy. Sometimes all i need is just a little reassuring. And yes, the Green Bible was the first thing i bought once i got my shoebox. :)
    i too wondered how a pitman arm could even go bad unless the teeth were worn. But i bought it anyways and i have a pitman puller. Thanks again man

Thanks for chiming in Pist-n-Broke. Never heard about the Flourescent tube method. You mean like Flourescent Lights??? I assume adjusting my sleeves will do the adjusting right? Also do you have a pic of your Merc?

I think Radials may be in my future. thanks

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  7. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Time and Money are the inevitable enemy for me. But after the Holidays i finally got around to choosing tires. I PRAY the ones i chose dont look wack compared to the Cokers. Lord knows they will ride WAY better, because..
    I finally made the switch to radials. I ordered some Diamond Back II's from dbtires and they are cutting 3in white walls on em. I ordered them about 3 weeks ago and they should be here Monday. I will try to take comparison pictures side by side to the Cokers for reference.
    Once they come in i gotta save some more money, get em mounted/balanced and then do my steering kit and a driveway alignment. Fingers crossed for better driving soon :) and i hope you ALL have a great 2016 starting now!

daddio211 likes this.
  8. Brentphx

Brentphx

I'll be waiting patiently for the update, I'm wanting the same tires... Almost pulled the trigger a few times but something always came up requiring that $ same day. I'll cross my fingers for you too!

9. dvsdrummer

dvsdrummer

Sweet! Looking forward to see how they look on them reverse steelies! !

10. What size did you end up ordering? Aren't your rims 7" wide?

11. dvsdrummer

dvsdrummer

I believe they are 15x6

12. Do you know what tire size you ordered?

13. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

The tires were finally made and came in yesterday

coming soon. just need mounting money :)

ugh, dont you ever scare me like that again! haha, they are 15x6. i did a 205 instead of a 215 to give me just a hair more room in the rear

yes. thank you. scared me for a second there

205/75/15 with the biggest white wall they would do 3in

Here's a reference of the new Radial vs my Bias for now until i can get them mounted etc..
    [​IMG]

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

15. dvsdrummer

dvsdrummer

Nice! Holy shrink-wrap batman! the tread pattern look comparison? Lol

16. Can't wait to see them mounted.

17. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Tread comparison
    [​IMG]

$40 mounted and balanced out the door. Getting closer

18. dvsdrummer

dvsdrummer

They look GOOD! Can't wait to see them on the car!

19. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

ahh the smell of fresh rubber just excites my loins!

20. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

couldn't resist washing off the blue wall soap. :)

[​IMG]

21. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

quick partial mockup. i think imma be just fine with the look of these radials compared to the coker g78's
    [​IMG]

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

And your gonna be super happy with how it will drive after the new stuff is installed. It will be a big difference, I'd be willing to bet.

23. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

i think you're right my friend

24. dvsdrummer

dvsdrummer

25. Just saw it on Facebook. Looks sweet!

26. big creep

big creep

Wow I've missed so much, still looking good as always!

27. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Thanks DVS
    thanks Rebel!
    yeah, me too! haha, sorry i haven't posted an update in awhile. i will do that right now

28. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Ok, so. it's been awhile. But i got a few things worked out. And plenty more to do though :)
    The new Radials are wonderful! I really love them. I loved the G78's too, but when it comes to handling and steering, this is seriously a world of difference. I was worried they would look so different. But i really like the way they look too. I appreciate bias-ply tires and the traditional sense of it all. But i think i am stuck on radials from now on.
    Along with the radials my buddy Adam helped me finally install the frontend Jamco steering kit i bought like 4 freakin years ago! haha, so you put these two factors together with our driveway alignment and this car is a lot less stressful to drive. I can let go of the steering wheel and it is centered and steady. No more catching grooves in the road or looking like i am driving in a movie from the 50s.

Out with the old and in with the new.
    [​IMG]

and of course. a bunch of pictures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tierod likes this.
  29. That's a cool shot with the frame....

30. big creep

big creep

Fuck man looks really good!