Register now to get rid of these ads!

hot rods in Waco

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26trackt, May 12, 2010.

1. 26trackt

26trackt

I was talking with a guy from the way back days. He spoke of Waco as if it used to be the hot rod center of the universe. I remember Fort Fisher hosting some pretty good outdoor events back in the '80s. There sure isn't much going on here now. I'm sure there is a presence here but it seems to stay in the shadows.

2. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

What A Cook Out!! Sorry I had to do that...former Texan myself. Never heard much from the Waco side. I was from Abilene and all we had were stories of the Drag Strip that was long gone. Now they have that silly 1/8 mile track but I guess at least they have one again.

3. Waco Street Machine Mini-Nats was a good time. I striped there from 88 til 2001. After the Vette wreck killed a guy and the thing with Davidians, that was it. Cruising and burning rubber on Valley Mills was fun until those darn cops shut it down.

The Mini Nats was sold, the new owner tried it down by the river, then in Fredricksburg but never got back to it's roots.

Mikey
    www.mikeyspinstriping.com

4. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

The town is full of rods, old and new. First Saturday of every month a big get together at the Church of the Open Door, loop 340 and Interstate 35. 2 to 3 hundred cars of all shapes. Dozens of small clicks all around the city and a rich history of dirt track venues.
    Great location between events in Dallas and Austin. Get out of those shadows and get with the program !

5. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

This post is old but I'm new on the hamb and was interested to see if there was any talk of waco on here....found it!
    Four posts, that oughta say something for us. As far as "hot rods" in waco, Joe Smith has a couple. And I'm building one right now, a 29 Roadster (flatty, 39 box, 40 rear, bias firestones).
    Glen Maddox is a cool old guy here messing with hot rods also. There's a few nice lowriders/bombs.

Other than that the car shows look like 1998. Pure street rods, and that's about it. Some of those guys are the nicest folks in the world and some of those street rods have stood the test of time and miles, like Jerry Rogers 54 bel air that's been going strong for 20 years that I know of and has seen most of the US. I'm glad to know these guys but as far as really cool "hot rods" they're hiding in garages if they're in waco.
    Of course there's rat rod junk in waco, but I think we all try to pretend we can't see it.
    26trackt and fleetbob50, maybe I know y'all? I'd like to know who you guys are.

6. LOL my first experience from Waco was on a road trip to visit an older friend from West Texas. I was on my old scooter and it was a lifetime ago. I stopped at this gravel parking lotted truck stop near the interstate and walked in to call my friend and tell him where I was. I was at the pay phone (remember those?) telling him I was in Whacko. He said, "Waco son", and I told that this tall skinny cowboy looking dude was givin' me a dirty look. He said, "Put him on the phone." So I motioned him over and handed him the phone. The Texan drawled out real slow, "OK I'll take care of him" and handed me the phone back. My friend said to go with him, and we went and sat down and he just said, "you want the meatloaf" He was right, damned good meatloaf. :)

I don't recall seeing any hot rods there though.

I have wandered around in Texas a bunch over the years and never ever been treated poor by a Texan.

Sancho likes this.
  7. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

Thats a good waco story, could have been bad, it does get "Wacko" sometimes! Funny you say that, texans are good folks, were just trying to get along like everyone else. I will say the worst texans I've ever met were from waco haha! Maybe that's because I live here.
    I have family in west texas, there's a lot of old cars still sitting around there, never had much luck buying any of them.

8. rfraze

rfraze

One of the Texas runs I really miss is the Mini-Nats. Enjoy them while they are happening, cause nothing lasts forever.

9. I think that the ugliest Texans I ever met were in the Rio Grand Valley. But I think most of them were transplants making money off of cheap labor. :eek: