Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what would you pay for these halibrand wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snopeks garage, Nov 13, 2015.

1. I found this on another site: (the words are not mine)
    "The guy standing next to the car is the builder, Ron Logghe. If you're in to drag racing and are over 40 you've probably heard of him. You can read some about him here http://timoszykfunnycars.com/ftroop.html and here http://www.mmshof.org/inductees/Logghe_Brothers.html . He's an engineer, machinist and legendary race car builder. The list of people he's built cars for is a who's who of drag racing legends, along with a lot of innovations he brought to racing. First flip top funny car, introduced coil-overs to drag racing chassis design. Their family business is Logghe Stamping, still in business in Michigan, one of the last remaining American suppliers to the Detriot auto industry. This car was his senior project for the Art Institute where he received his degree before joining the family business. My girlfriend and I just bought a house and after getting settled in we decided to invite the next door neighbors over for dinner. Guess who? Ron is still a full gear head, but due to Parkinson's he has great difficulty speaking. With his wife helping out though, we did gab a lot about racing and car building. During a tour of his shop and garage he whipped out this picture. I was blown away. He designed and built everything, chassis, suspension, body molds and fiberglass body. All in 1957. He sold the car ages ago, before anyone was in to collecting stuff like they do now. No idea where it is but it would be an incredible barn find."

Logghe.jpg

volvobrynk, 54fierro, wedjim and 9 others like this.
  2. WOW, this is crazy....not to mention great detective work

stealthcruiser likes this.
  3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Its a unbelievable that the same halibrands are still on the car from when it raced in 1960.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Those are not the same Hal's.
    Even rarer than the ones from the OP's photos.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I didnt mean from post#121. The picture from '60 Hot Rod magazine, and OP's current pics. ScanImage0125.jpg 20151114_115818.jpg

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

Wow, does he know about this car...where it's, etc?

7. bchctybob

bchctybob

Looks like we have a winner! Kidcampbells pics of the drag racer show what appear to be hairpins in front and a different steering column. Maybe a different incarnation of the same car, maybe they built two? Snopek's pictures seem to show a chassis with sporty car features. Whatever, it's bitchin' how a few pictures of weathered Halibrands led to the ID of this great old car. I hope snopek can get it and turn it loose to someone who will restore it. Great detective work guys.......(and great old photos!)

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Duece, do you know how hard it is for me to spell deuce (duece).
    I realized what you meant right after I hit the post button.

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

image.jpg I like drag cars ....but this version is by far the best ... maybe a 301 with a big solid cam and a t-10 4spd .. Wouldn't that be fun?

Tony, traffic61 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Wonder if the one with kidney beans has a jag rear? Looks like the rear wheel camber is negative.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I keep mentioning this, and people keep ignoring it. Hot Rod did an article on converting an early ford banjo to swing axles back in the early fifties, and a similar article appeared in a Spotlight book.

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would like to hear more about that banjo conversion. Where was it posted earlier?

13. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Roo i agree 100% that it should be restored cause there were not to many cars running in M/Sp's class like for the dragsters - gassers - altered's etc

So that makes it a really rare find and in no way should it be parted out

My 37' gasser was lost for 25 years , then found and restored with my original 327 engine so now it will be around for the future years to come and that makes me very happy

The same thing should happen to the history making Logghe sports car, please some one treat this car right for the future racing fans to see and enjoy

DND

traffic61 likes this.
  14. rooman

rooman

I spoke with John Logghe again last night and have also been in touch with the OP. If the car is available for purchase it will be restored to its original condition.

Roo

15. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

That's awesome Roo!

16. Rooman !! ^^^^ please !!!! Now THAT would be justice. The 1957 version is tits !

Also ... Dan Ellis lives in Detroit area. Pappy Ellis was his dad. Anyone in Detroit rock city have an idea ??? He is on YellowBullet, but I'm not ...... soooooo (??).

Be interesting to see if that car was molded for cloning, or if .... as in many drag cars .... was cut, recut, and cut again within the long links of owner chains. Those side gills are a feature that I would think .... if not used with exhaust ... if I were the cloner, would have been glassed in. Again ... the big magic question mark.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've never posted it, I mentioned it a couple times, and no one ever said anything so I let it go. I'll scan the spotlight article and post it, or maybe pm it to you.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Actually, FG; I'd also like to see the article, so post it if you wouldn't mind all that much. I think I've seen it years ago, but don't know where it could be. Or pm it to me also? TIA. Marcus...

19. Why not? You've already stated it's at a publicly accessible business.

Let's just be honest here, in all actuality, it's very unlikely that you'd be able to pry this car from the current owners hands. And if, by happenstance he/she is willing to sell it, it'll probably be for more money than what'd be reasonable for a "flip". There's really no reason to not inform us of its current location so that someone with the means and desire to restore a historic race car could pursue it further.

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Anyone notice the rear fenders' shapes behind the tires? Look at the pics of the 'present', note how the fenders don't cover the tires behind, but are shaped 'diagonally'. (looks like a different design, not just a 'trim'; not the same as any of the other M/SP bodies in the other pics)

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was looking at that earlier. If you look really close, it looks like it just ends there, and theres a white hump showing under the front wheelwell cut-out where the end of the pass. side rear fender would be. I am wondering if at some point the body has sustained some damage, and the back part of the drivers side rear fender has been cut off?
    And my thoughts have been pretty much in line with chickengods since the start of this thread, my guess is, this car is NOT on the market. Been a very interesting thread nonetheless, and its really cool finding out that this car is still alive.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I got another pm about it as well, I will do a thread later today.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Was that the Iowa dragster that used torque tubes as axles?

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Not to derail this thread, but I had first seen it done on Tom Beatty's bellytank. I might have the same article – and may have actually scanned and posted it once upon a time.

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Very close Jim. My power has been out all day, just came back on. I have a couple things I have to take care of first, I will try to scan it tonight, or tomorrow morning, and make a new thread.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Thanks for posting!

29. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

How about a Bump, for any more info on the hopeful extraction of that untracool car. Gary

30. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Looks to me like the rear body is sitting under that front body ...
    Cool car.
    And i really think this guy that found it knew it wasnt just the wheels that were something special... think he was trying to hide the rest of the car to people here at first to get some info. Or too many people may go after it and get it before him since it is at a public blah blah blah space.
    ... like if you went and found a dusty old REAL A/c cobra in someones barn... but werent sure if you were looking at a kit car. Would you tell everyone you think you found one? ($300,000)
    I think he saw it pretty well with that rearend too.
    What gets me is that its at a public space that only HE has gone into?!?! What about other people and this space? Didnt ANYONE think that neat little kit car could be somethin? DANG!
    I DO think that OP here NEEDS to tell people HERE... EXACTLY were he found it and who the owner of it is.
    Give the info up man. A group of HAMBERS is probably the only kinda thing that the owner would let it go too. To bring it back to life.
    Crazy the fiberglass is the reason its still around. Steel body and it would have been... dirt.