Register now to get rid of these ads!

MAN, I don't know why anyone would complain about MAC'S

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by millersgarage, Nov 16, 2015.

1. millersgarage

millersgarage

I've read a number of posts here on the HAMB and other places where people complain about the service, shipping, everything to do with mac's.

I've never had a problem with them. I got an order today, just like normal, everything is great.

I ordered a pile of parts on Thursday the 12th about midday, I think I was on my lunch hour at the time. I got a shipping confirmation on Friday 13th, and they're sitting on my porch today Monday the 16th.

Thanks MAC'S

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weigh the package, and then look up the UPS rates for that weight.

Truck64 likes this.
  3. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

In my part of the world "Macs" , "Maccas", "McD's" are all nicknames for a certain Fast Food chain that we have plenty to complain about.

So your title can be misleading mate ! :)

4. millersgarage

millersgarage

Shipping was $29

5. I bought something from Macs when I first got my Ford... forget what the shipping was but it was a whoa moment. I thought it was steep. Recently I've gotten a few items from them on eBay, much better shipping.

Since then I've had some big orders with C & G Ford Parts, Concours, Joblot, in the $400 to $600 range. Guess what... Macs is still in business without me.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. I bought a motor mount and it was missing the washer closest to the head of the main bolt.
    I called up, cause it is an expensive piece and a unique part. I said it was missing a washer and the guy said it was on its way. Thought it was odd that he didn't ask which one.
    I got the mail and it was the cup. I called and this time I was told to call a technician. Told him that it was washer closest to head of bolt; he sends me the washer closest to the castle nut. Doh!
    Called again and this time they just sent me every washer in the package. I wish it went smoother, but all in all they are cool guys.
    :)

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've had mostly good luck with Mac's (especially pre Eckler's) but prefer the smaller Model A retailers for a number of reasons. One thing that absolutely baffles me, Mac's website. I've had to use Google to find an item on their site, more than once.

Truck64, RICH B and falcongeorge like this.
  8. Mac's, recently picked up by Ecklers (Corvette parts and others) has always been quick to ship, blah, blah. I just got a package in Fri PM and on close inspection, found that the light switch was cracked (before it was put in its little box which was in the big box and a Pertronics coil that was stuffed in its original box backwards and wouldn't close, so masking tape was used before the bubble wrap. The coil was scuffed and the bottom looked like it had been sanded to the point of shiny metal showing.
    So today I called to express my concern and laughed when the customer service rep listened to my polite explanation of the descrepancies of the parts ordered and my years of ordering parts from them and said "No way should you have received parts in that condition." Sent me a FedEx label so it's going back on their dime.
    PO'd? You bet. Willing to give them an opportunity to make good? Why not? This was my first disappointment with them (and Ecklers from my Tupperware Torpedo days) and will give them an op to make good. What's that saying? "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, FU I'll drop you." Or something like that.

Toner283 and millersgarage like this.
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Maybe for a kiwi. But here in the states macs means old Ford parts to me.

10. 46 Ford in photo used a ton of MAC's parts- no problems-

11. junkman8888

junkman8888

A few years back I bought a number of items for a model A project from Mac's. When the order arrived, I noticed one of the hinge pins was mangled beyond belief. The part was sealed in clear plastic so the damage must have occurred during the manufacturing process. I called Mac's and was told if I wanted the part replaced I would have to pay shipping both ways, a cost of almost ten dollars for a one dollar part.

12. Generally you hear complaints,rarely do you hear the accolades.

I have done business with Mac's Antique Auto parts for years,I haven't had any problems,I've said it many times in the past,I'm glad we have company's that invest there hard earned money to offer up the parts we need. HRP

2bubbas and millersgarage like this.
  13. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Ok I'll chime in with my two cents.
    I ordered a quarter panel for my 59 around 2 months ago.
    Got the usual email saying they received my order, then next day or two got another email saying that my order was shipped and should arrive within 7 to 10 days.
    Waited 2 weeks a gave them a call. Was told it was on back order from the manufacturer.
    Have called once a week since with no updates.

14. Right on tubman....The shipping cost is outrageous ...

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm with you, HRP - I'm glad there's stuff available. I have ordered stuff for my Shoebox on a few occasions and have been happy. Yes, the way they calculate shipping can be a bit steep on occasion. I usually check prices all around, and figure it all out including shipping from each and go from there.
    All told, I have never really been really unhappy from any Shoebox supplier, including Jamco- if you can believe that, LOL! Just glad I don't have to hand make every piece :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Bingo! All the companies are doing it. It's a volume thing, not weight per se. Order a part small enough to fit in chiclet box and they stuff it in a shoe box and charge $20 "flat rate". I hope they DIAF.

Zapato likes this.
  17. Ok ok..... But hope they die in a car fire? Seems a little harsh.
    (I'm sure you're just making your point..... No worries)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. The only problem I ever had with Macs that I can recall is their outrageous shipping charges. I have filled out an order on many occasions only to delete it and order somewhere else once I figured in their shipping costs.

Revived 265 and -Brent- like this.
  19. I liked them the few times I bought some things, but i have the benefit of being able to drive there and pick up in person.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well no, not a car fire. That's beyond the pale, I agree.

It may be they don't have any option on small parts because they can't or won't use the post office. I had to order two (2) Holley carb jets oncet and while it was eBay it came from a big Des Moines speed shop. You guessed it - in a Big Ass box. Almost comical, except what I needed to pay probably wasn't. A small padded envelope would be fine, but FedEx or UPS doesn't or can't really do that.

21. yruhot

yruhot

I agree but good customer service doesnt cost them a dime and makes for loyal customers. I ordered a 40 ford style master cylinder and got it, wagner, casting hole in side of unit leaked like crazy. Had to ship back to Ny, I live in las vegas, probably 10days wait before new unit arrived. Too far for me them on the east coast. Been using Arizonia model A in Mesa Az. Great little place ,Great service and very knowledgeable.yruhot

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have posted this before, but I think it needs to said here. In a former life, I had a small computer company that specialized in custom software for small to medium sized distribution companies. Almost all of the software packages we supplied had a sophisticated shipping cost mark-up function. They also included modules to analyze the extra profits generated this way. Since it was over 20 years ago, I don't think it's talking out of school to tell you that, for some of my customers, more profit was generated by marking up shipping than by actual product sales. I never heard that any of their customers complained about it. I am sure that we never changed the software to reduce this practice. It's now 20 years down the road, and I can only imagine what's going on these days! Also, you may not know that UPS, at least, offers significant discounts to their larger customers based on volume. This explains to me why so many of these outfits use UPS rather than USPS flat rate packages that would probably provide substantial savings to their customers. Marking up a discounted cost can yield a lot of profit.

23. When I get a parts order binge going, I try to get it all from one supplier, pay one shipping and that's it. C & G and Concours have great searches on their web site as the same part may have part number variations. Macs site, not so great and a search there turns up many items not even close to what I'm looking for.

24. I shop them all, wait for specials, attempt to be patient so I can meet the $100 minimum at Summit, CE I feel has the worst shipping, so I go to many other sites and sometimes find the same product with free shipping.......it's my retirement game

25. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Why complain?
    1. High shipping costs with no basis in logic (size, shape, weight).
    2. Misleading sales promotional advertising. Whole catalog (or whole portions of catalog) is on sale EXCEPT the thing you want to buy and you don't find out until check-out despite lack of disclaimers in catalog or advertisement. Free shipping on orders exceeding a certain price, but an item you want is on backorder so they split your order and then you pay double shipping.
    3. Wrong parts sent in plastic packages bearing the RIGHT part numbers. Then try convincing them you are right and they are wrong.
    4. Low quality repro parts, but most everyone is guilty of that...
    5. High product pricing.

Other than those things, I'll still use them if I'm desperate. My favorite vendors are the ones that step up and eat their own mistakes like an adult instead of pushing them off on the consumer.

26. I buy a ton of parts from Summit. Their site is great for finding what I need (although I have a beef with them now on getting a wrong part...). Speedway is now on the free-shipping band wagon. But their site is awful, their catalog is great. I just opened a Jegs account. Their site is better than Speedway's.

It comes down that you need confidence that what you buy is the correct item. Good customer service and easy returns are important. Reasonable shipping gives us all a warm and fuzzy and makes us come back to buy more.

I have just had my first bad-experience return with an eBay purchase that Pay pal has had to step in to help out.

27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Do enough business youll have a mad customer somehow somewhere. Personally I've never had an issue with them, nor speedway nor jegs. Summit tech support sent me in the wrong direction with a fuel system once, so I dont buy from them now.

28. This is the same list I can make for Mac's
    MAC'S SUCKS

29. I'm pretty much done with Summit as well... wankers...

30. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I'd have to give them a 85% rating. Rarely any problems. Overcharging in shipping is a big problem in my book.