Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 Chevy - Beeping Noise when Stopping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53CHKustom, Nov 14, 2015.

1. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

I'm grateful so many HAMBer's have given me a lot of valuable advice so hopefully one last thread is OK for today.

With my 53 Chevy, I have a 3-5 second duration beeping noise when I reach a full stop. It seems to happen only when I reach a final stopping point and I need some moderate speed for it to happen. Could this be transmission related? It is a faint noise but I hear it for sure.

I have a SB350 with TH350 trans. I have mustang II front brakes with 11" disc, GM intermediate calipers, 2psi residual valve, 10 psi residual to rear, stock 55 Chevy brakes, and 69 Mustang M/C. No booster.

I remember hearing the same beeping noise with the old 9" pinto brakes so I don't think it's the pads or calipers. The rear shoes and wheel cylinders were replaced in the summer and not many miles on them. I heard the beep before that brake work was done.

Does anyone have advice on what to check?

2. Slopok

Slopok

Horn wired into the brakeso_O? You haven't had a thread on wiring yet have you?

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Tell the Roadrunner to be quite.

53CHKustom likes this.
  4. i had a customer complain of a ticking sound, right after he stopped and occasionally when driving. after taking the car for a ride, i removed some of the key fobs from his "clump".......problem solved.

5. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Haha. This is a consistent beep (it's not loud its faint) each time it reaches a full stop. I've gone crazy trying to think what it could be.

Sure it could be a wiring issue but it only happens with some moderate speed so its seems like something else.

6. does it have led tail lights?

7. 2racer

2racer

you ran over someone and they are calling 911

falcongeorge and 53CHKustom like this.
  8. 3-5 seconds
    It it
    Beep beep beep beep beep
    Or
    Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Old TFFdriver likes this.
  9. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Haha. It is BEEEEEEEEEEEP. That noise spans 3-5 seconds. Maybe closer to 3 seconds on second thought.

10. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

No it has regular bulbs and lee lenses.

11. 2racer

2racer

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes: The Sign of Four (1890)

12. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Dude, you need a different hobby.

13. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

This isn't a hobby for me (my hobbies are plugging my Gretsch guitar into a loud Fender tube amp and letting it rip or going to surf 6-8ft point break waves). I'm on here to find advice on correcting a bunch of issues with a car that I bought 2 years ago. I like the look of the car but wasn't experienced enough to know what issues it had. So far many HAMBers have been quite generous and I'm super grateful. This has provided me a lot of guidance on correcting many issues that have come up and given me a chance to learn a lot of new things. Hopefully one day I can share what I've learnt with others who were in my shoes.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  14. How's your surfboard running?

The Brown Sound likes this.
  15. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Just great, I take care of all my dings with two part epoxy, it has an eps blank. I do pity the waves my board is ridden on especially if I need to release frustration from a devil child car like mine :)

16. Valve body buzz in the transmission?

17. Do you have disc brakes? Could be tattle tale indicating worn pads .

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd suspect a small vacuum leak, or maybe the dashpot on the carburetor, if yours has one.

Cosmo49 and firstinsteele like this.
  19. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Could it be considered a squeal? I'm with Dirt's post above. Almost all disc pads I've ever seen have a "squeaker", or a small tab of metal that starts to contact the rotor when there's about 1/8" of an inch of material left on the shoes. It's supposed to let you know that it's time for new pads. Pull the front wheels and check the brake pads.

Chris

czuch likes this.
  20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the noise is there after he comes to a complete stop. Wear indicators wouldn't make any noise after stopping.

21. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

I thought it could be the transmission as well but I don't know what to check for.

22. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

I have an Edelbrock 1406 carb. I'm not sure what to check? I don't have a power brake setup so do you think the vacuum leak could still be a factor?

23. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks the pads are brand new, yesterday was the first 10 miles I put on them. I heard this noise with my old 9" pinto brake setup. Right now I have 11" disc brake for the Mustang II front end. The rear has stock 55' Chevy brakes.

The noise only is heard right as I am completing the stop and actually already stopped. The noise goes away maybe 2 seconds after being fully stopped and starts 1 second before reaching that stop.

gas & guns likes this.
  24. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Yes the noise comes in maybe 1 second before reaching a full stop and stays 2 seconds after being fully stopped.

25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have vacuum to the distributor and also to the vacuum modulator on the TH350. If you have a PVC valve it has vacuum going to it as well. Does the 53 still have the vacuum wipers?

26. Budget36

Budget36

Do you have power brakes?

I wonder if the the booster has a leak?

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sure sounds like vacuum. Sucks...

If you could duplicate the symptoms, a vacuum leak could be detected by spraying the source with a chemical, preferably carb. cleaner or a similar flammable that would speed up engine RPM when the leak is floundered with the solution.
    (even WD 40 works, and is non flammable)
    But you would have to dupe the symptom, so removing the hood would be preferable;
    Have a bud stand with the WD40 where you are going to stop; when you stop and the noise is persisting, have your friend try and pinpoint the area.
    Back up and come forward again, stopping where you did;
    Your bud sprays in the area he hears the 'beeeeep' and finds it!
    Whew! Well, you asked for it! :D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    hipster and firstinsteele like this.
  28. studebaker46

studebaker46

29. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks no it is manual brakes with no booster.

30. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks how come this happens only when there is moderate speed and reaching the full stop? Could it be the vacuum line going to the TH350 transmission? I would think the other lines from the carb/pcv would make a noise at other instances not just when stopping.