Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

2. SICBOY

SICBOY

3. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Nice as always!

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!

An another small update:

The weather is getting colder and this job had to be done before its impossible thing to do in the garage that isnt 24/7 warm.
    The deal was that the firewall needed paint.There is no point to bolt powdercoated parts on the car,if the firewall is still in primer or on bare metal..
    Like i've said before,i just cant paint a shit so i asked friend of mine to help me with the paint job.The firewall is sanded and ready for primer:

[​IMG]

No pics of the primered firewall,but it looks like this after a fresh coat of paint.Its the same stuff i used on the bottom of the car:

[​IMG]

The inside of the firewall got some fresh paint too:

[​IMG]

Too bad that i forget to do the panel sealing,so thats why only the top of the innerside is painted at this point.
    Thanks for the help,Janne!

farmer12 likes this.
  5. Janne

Janne

It was great to meet you in the past summer. I have been following this thread since day one.

Hop2it likes this.
  6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,it was great to meet you too and it was great to have you in our show!

farmer12 likes this.
  7. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Just finished reading this thread front to back.I really like your car and certainly admire your skills.I have just started my own shoebox project and have learned a lot from yours!

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man,i appreciate your words.
    Good luck with your project!

9. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

By the way,I have all the heater\vent stuff from my 50-cables and all.If you need any of it let me know.You are welcome to it,just pay shipping.I DO live in Florida and don't need heat but I will have to have AC.

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for the offer!
    I really appreciate it,i'll send a PM for you.
    Well,i was thinking what to do with the kingpins.One choice could been taking them for a local machine shop,but i guess they dont care much about projects like this and it could been probably expensive as buying a reamer.And if i ruin the bushings by myself,i dont have to argue with anyone.
    So,i scored this from ebay:

[​IMG]

Before i started this project,i did some homework how the reaming job is done.I havent never done this before,so here goes my kingpin bushing reaming virginity:

[​IMG]

I think it went fine,the king pins slide in nicely and they doesnt feel like too loose.

[​IMG]

I really like to bolt them on the car,but all the pivots are in sad condition and i dont have any new seals for the pivots.I have to buy new ones,but i guess it takes 2 weeks or something.Well,i've used to wait my stuff,so its not a big deal.

Teevee68 likes this.
  11. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

How do you send/recieve a PM on this forum? Finnrodder there are 3 basic rules in using a reamer,dont run it dry,don't turn it backwards and don't force it.It is MUCH better to use actual cutting oil when reaming,it vastly increases your tool life and gives a much better finish.Usually the hardest part of replacing kingpin bushings is getting the old ones out!

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,thats pretty much how i did it.I used a cutting fluid as a lube,no backward turning and no violence.
    The old bushings got out pretty easily.I had a piece of steel axle,that was made as a punch with lathe just for this purpose.It was pretty easy with the punch.
    The private messages are called conversations in here at these days.I started a one with you,there is a symbol of an envelope on the top of this page.Click the envelope and that should show you your messages.

13. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

My plan was not to buy anything special for the project at this year,but here we go again..
    Friend of mine put for sale a 283+TH700 for a fair price.Thats the motor and transmission combo i was planning to use with the shoebox!
    Well,those 283's are getting harder to find in here,so i couldnt pass this deal.
    So we picked it up at yesterday with my bro:

[​IMG]

I am going to take the transmission for the tranny guy(that sounded wrong,for a guy who fixes transmissions,not a chick with dick),i have a hunch that transmission needs to be checked out.I think the motor is fine,but i'll take the heads off at some point.Just in case..

daddio211 likes this.
  15. daddio211

daddio211

Looks like an early 283. If so it will only have 2 bolts for the starter and you'll need an adapter plate. Check my T build thread for info, it was about 8 weeks ago.

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Its a later block,i checked the engine vin code and it says its from '65 truck.Not so period correct,but i can live with that.Friend of mine said that the seller told him it was pulled off from early 60's Corvette,but thats the usual selling speach bullshit.There is no need for the adapter plate with this motor,but i have it.I bought it for the 265 i was planning to use.
    Thanks for the tips anyway!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    daddio211 likes this.
  17. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

The SBC with the 700r4 eats up a lot of floor room. To save money I ended up making my own transmission tunnel out of 18 gauge. Only thing I wish I did different was maybe roll some panel flanges. Once it is fully welded it should stiffen up pretty good. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446407339.159583.jpg

daddio211 likes this.
  18. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Good engine choice.What are you going to use for an intake/carb setup? BTW If you have the heads off I would suggest removing the lifters (one at a time) and inspecting the bottom of them and the cam lobes very carefully.It has been quite a while since I took apart an old SBC that did not have a bad cam lobe.With the heads off and the engine out changing the cam is a breeze.Later not so much !

19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,i modified the transmission tunnel,but i had PG on car back then building the tunnel/floors.I left extra room,so i guess its not an issue.

Thanks!
    I am not sure yet what carb(s?) to use,tri-power setup could be cool.But we'll see..
    I've been thinking about the exhaust manifolds,i got the original ram horns with the engine but i am pretty sure that they dont fit.I have to find exhaust manifolds with rear dump,maybe camaro,chevelle etc.could work.And thanks for the tips!

20. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Almost any of the 70s-80s chevy pickups with a sbc will have rear outlet manifolds.

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks,those should be easy to find from here!

22. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I've been working stuff that isnt worth to post,put new flappers in the fresh air ducts,hammered dents on the body etc.The USPS tracking number says that new upright pivots are stuck in Helsinki at the moment.They've been there almost two weeks now,kind a pisses me off..
    Usually its 2-3 days when i got a note from Finnish post that i have to declare the goods.
    I hope i get them soon,so i can put the front end together with new parts.

24. road zombi

road zombi

Hai Finnrodder, this is realy a cool projekt and you do it very well...i like your sheet-metal-works

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

26. farmer12

farmer12

Still going strong, looking good!

27. the power plant looks good, Antti! Congratulations, a good lookin' engine!

still watching,

Carsten

28. It's amazing how many ol' 283s got pulled out of early '60s 'vettes! :D

Looks like you'll be driving yours before I'm driving mine. I need a kick in the ass.

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks Eric and Carsten!

Yeah,if the selling speech BS were true,only GM products with 283's were early 60's vettes:D
    I dont get it why Corvette motors turn to holy grails of SBC's..
    Well,i dont know about that who'll be driving first,there is still a lot to do..
    Btw,i bought a pair of '49 bumpers from chromeplating shop in Cali.I got the front bumper 2 weeks ago and the rear one is on the way.If everything goes fine,that will be my christmas present.

30. Nice! Glad to hear you found some good bumpers. Sorry things didn't work out with the ones I have.